• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

renewal

anyone renew their ltc lately, how long did it take?
I expire in may, and the pd gave me an appointment in april

thx
garyz

Back when NH required a pistol license (to carry concealed), I think my LTC took less than 1 day (morning paperwork drop off at the local PD, and a call in the afternoon to come pick it up).

:D;)

however, i was given a form, that states my renewal
has been submitted and i am covered. so i guess all good, won't be able to buy anything, but won't be in trouble either
Not true if you go to a real LGS and they have a clue about the law.
I did receive a letter to cover me in the event that it did take longer.
Question about current procedure: Do they take your current LTC when you apply for renewal like they did back in the good old days? Or do you keep your current license in hand while the renewal is in process? In other words, are those letters meant to cover you during the renewal process from the start? Or just after your old license's expiration date if you haven't received your new one yet?

i called and got an appointment 4 months out, that was at their (pd) suggestion. got it in the mail 4 weeks later. this was a year ago.

Question about current procedure: Do they take your current LTC when you apply for renewal like they did back in the good old days? Or do you keep your current license in hand while the renewal is in process? In other words, are those letters meant to cover you during the renewal process from the start? Or just after your old license's expiration date if you haven't received your new one yet?
I’ve never handed over an old LTC

PDs can do what PDs want . . . but nobody should be taking your LTC ever when you apply for renewal! It never happened to me or my Wife (both have our MA LTC for >40 yrs).

The current LTC is good until it expires. The letter is good from expiration until you have the new one in hand. IIRC you must keep and show the expired LTC and letter to benefit by that when purchasing/selling anything during that time.

Question about current procedure: Do they take your current LTC when you apply for renewal like they did back in the good old days?
how far back do your "good old days" go? i have every ltc I've been issued for 45 years, no one has ever asked for it at renewal.

I went a week ago and out my name on a list - about 20 names long- to get a call for a renewal appointment. I expire in July .... so hoping i hear in the next few weeks

Question.. Put mine in in Belmont may 18th, they handed me the paperwork that it was in process a day later. Expires in a few days.. Has the state been really slow? I emailed and called.

Slow in my experience. 10 weeks so far. [thinking]
They did not refingerprint on renewal before submitting. They just sent it in to the state. This is why I was confused. It is a new licensing officer. The town website said make an appt. but the licensing officer just asked for the check so he could submit and said he’d take care of it.

Last edited:
sorry for the late update called to check on the status on june 15 was told it was in
a call would have been nice, but it is what it is. picked it up and i'm good to go

I called in Nov they gave me a date in April bday in June just got mine on July 11. Make sure you keep your recipe, when your license runs out, it show you are waiting for your ltc.

My son and I dropped off our applications (me - renewal, him initial application) at our local PD on June 13th. We went back on June 18th for the "interviews" (formal applications put into the computer). My son spent about 30 minutes in his, mainly because he had to have his fingerprints taken (he's in the SYSTEM now!). The Lt and I spent about 20 minutes entering my information in the system and BSing about town politics. We were told about 6-7 weeks which would put it coming back about 2 weeks before my current license expires.

Applied 8 weeks ago and still waiting. License expired last week. In the past, I typically had my license in hand in under 3 weeks. PD told me that licenses have been taking longer and longer...state dragging their feet.

I tried to renew a few months early, but was told I couldn't until a month out. March 20th was when I submitted my renewal and I'm still waiting for mine. I've called several times and was told that they are still awaiting the information from my local PD.

I tried to renew a few months early, but was told I couldn't until a month out. March 20th was when I submitted my renewal and I'm still waiting for mine. I've called several times and was told that they are still awaiting the information from my local PD.
Made up BS rules by the PD.

FRB Director told me that they will process renewals 6 months in advance.

I submitted my application on Jan 17th. I had to beg for an appointment before the old one expired in March so I could get the grace period. The appointment was days before expiration. Fingerprinted and paid $100. They gave me a letter and I kept my old LTC. The new one arrived end of June. So, about 5 months total time.

Made up BS rules by the PD.

FRB Director told me that they will process renewals 6 months in advance.

6 months nothing, I renewed 3 years or so early to get rid of a restriction. They issued it with an issue date 3 years in the future because the previous town licensing officer wouldn't expire the old one. But I had it in hand, with that date, a long time early and it was good to go once the old one expired.

I applied for my renewal on 4/3 in Medway......still waiting.

Sent a letter to my state representative asking why the statutory time frame is at 40 days, but that is often exceeded by double or more....waiting for an answer.

"A right delayed is a right denied" - Martin Luther King

Suggest everyone who is waiting write their representatives and push the issue.

I submitted my application on Jan 17th. I had to beg for an appointment before the old one expired in March so I could get the grace period. The appointment was days before expiration. Fingerprinted and paid $100. They gave me a letter and I kept my old LTC. The new one arrived end of June. So, about 5 months total time.

NO-ONE should allow the PD to keep the "old one". It is good until it expires and both that and the MIRCS receipt allow you to legally carry (if unrestricted) and buy/sell. Without your "old" LTC, you have none of those rights!

That's a case where I would first talk with the chief, if no luck, I'd call my state rep/sen for intervention.

NOTE: ETA to add words in bold red above. re-reading it, it could sound the opposite of what I was trying to say as posted earlier.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom