renewal

Last time I renewed was a while ago, but it took over 7 months I think. Made the same mistake of starting too late. Next time will be 6 months before it expires....

Brockton, didn't realize I expired this may, thought it was next. last time I renewed, I called in jan
was told I should have called in dec. as long as I'm in process, I'm good, right?

I think so, my police department gave me a letter that stated I was in process. But mine has a September expiration and I applied for renewal in May. If they didn't give you some paperwork I would go back and ask for something.

Mine doesn’t allow you to renew any sooner than 90 days before your expire date. I got mine back 52 days later and they were awesome about it.

I don't want to say my town is pro-chick and anti-dude, but my last one was 5 years ago (I'm due next January - whatever that makes it). It was late. They didn't get me an appt until about 3 weeks before expiry. I didn't have a new license for 30 days. Not happy. Couldn't pick up some toys at Carl's because of it.

Wife calls, gets appt SAME WEEK last year. Gets her lic. in the mail in 3 weeks, tops.

Maybe I have a distrusting face. ???? Might take my 10yo with me next time. Maybe soften the dude up. LOL

I am still waiting since Dec 12th...... My local PD has been great definitely not their fault, hopefully it will be in any day now. They did tell me they were a little slow putting it in and that they have been taking upward of 12 weeks lately....

Just wondering...my first renewal is coming up in September. Do you need any kind of documents to bring usually? Outside of the standard renewal form? I’m thinking my LTC course certificate, the whereabouts of which are unknown...

My last renewal was the beginning of 2017, that one took almost 5 months from the time I dropped off the paperwork to getting the LTC in-hand. That was in spite of having one from this town for 40 yrs plus having been a police officer previously in the same town for 17 yrs. They take what they take for time and no it is not the state that is the delay, it is always the local PD setting it as a low priority.

The only documentation you need for renewal in the same town is the application form filled out and a check (get form on FRB website). Some PDs demand other docs, but the law doesn't require anything else.

[QUOTE="The only documentation you need for renewal in the same town is the application form filled out and a check (get form on FRB website). Some PDs demand other docs, but the law doesn't require anything else."[/QUOTE]

What I found strange was that they called me back 4 weeks after I met with them and filed my application, my check and had my picture taken to get fingerprinted..... They did mention something about not filing it right away and apologized. I didn't want to make any waves so just said thanks for letting me know....

Renewal application in on March 23rd 2017, interviewed a week later, received my license on June 7th, not too bad for Massachusetts. Back in 1977 my first LTC was issued in Revere and took less than three weeks to arrive, and it only cost $10 bucks. Those were the good old days

Renewal application in on March 23rd 2017, interviewed a week later, received my license on June 7th, not too bad for Massachusetts. Back in 1977 my first LTC was issued in Revere and took less than three weeks to arrive, and it only cost $10 bucks. Those were the good old days
Back in 1976, I had my LTC 5 days after applying. And back then the PD had to send it to MSP HQ for lamination.

5 days, WOW !!!! Now that's what I call fast. I didn't even think that was possible in Massachusetts.

It wasn't always like it is now. First LTC in Natick in 1987, applied on my birthday late Nov., had it in hand before the end of the year. Got my FFL a few months later, no storefront, not even a garage. And no one made a big deal when UPS left a rifle and case of ammo at my neighbors.

5 days, WOW !!!! Now that's what I call fast. I didn't even think that was possible in Massachusetts.
That included mailing it to me. It was real simple back then, pretty sure the chief ran the background same as they do when you are caught speeding. Since everything was teletype back then (punch tape) it probably took an hour or two to run and get results. Then they mailed it to MSP HQ (1010 Comm Ave) who laminated it and returned it to the PD.

Brockton, didn't realize I expired this may, thought it was next. last time I renewed, I called in jan
was told I should have called in dec. as long as I'm in process, I'm good, right?

Len can correct me, if needed, but I believe it has to be submitted by your town and not sitting on your towns licensing officers desk.

There are a couple of threads on this you can search with your town. But I renewed at the end of last year and I had my new LTC in my mail box in 24 days.

How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Good luck.

Len can correct me, if needed, but I believe it has to be submitted by your town and not sitting on your towns licensing officers desk.
You are correct. It MUST be entered into MIRCS before expiration to get the infinite grace period. So if the PD doesn't do their job you can be screwed, it has happened.

brockton also. emailed ofc. skinner in late august giving him exp. date of january 7, he emailed an appt. in october. didn't get a chance to check until jan. 10th or 11th and it was there.

as you probably know, they don't notify it's in. just have to go to records room window and find out. any of the clerks can check.

they do give the required app receipt at the appt. , so unless you get that receipt before exp. date you are not good to go.

and ofc. skinner prefers email communication.

had my appointment yesterday, paperwork / picture/ money no problem
then he tells me to call in the middle of june for my license. however, i was given a form, that states my renewal
has been submitted and i am covered. so i guess all good, won't be able to buy anything, but won't be in trouble either

anyone renew their ltc lately, how long did it take?
I expire in may, and the pd gave me an appointment in april

thx
garyz
Took mine 7 weeks from the date of interview to card in hand. Fwiw mine expired in Oct 2017......I made my apt in June 2017. Never understood why people wait to the month before to call.

had my appointment yesterday, paperwork / picture/ money no problem
then he tells me to call in the middle of june for my license. however, i was given a form, that states my renewal
has been submitted and i am covered. so i guess all good, won't be able to buy anything, but won't be in trouble either

Not true if you go to a real LGS and they have a clue about the law.

8 weeks. About what they told me, maybe a bit longer. I did receive a letter to cover me in the event that it did take longer. Started the process in February to make an April renewal. No harm in starting early.

I went for renewal 6 months before expiration. They sent me home saying it's too early, come back one month before. What?!!

Back
Top Bottom