renewal

Anyone else having issues with renewing your license? I had my interview on 3/3/16 and my license expired on 5/11 and still have not received my license. I stopped by the LPD and was told they are coming back slow but not to worry I have a 90 day grace period.

Anyone else having issues with renewing your license? I had my interview on 3/3/16 and my license expired on 5/11 and still have not received my license. I stopped by the LPD and was told they are coming back slow but not to worry I have a 90 day grace period.
What town, if you don't mind sharing?

you are fine, your current LTC will suffice until the new one arrives. Its no longer 90 days, its until the new one arrives (provided you applied for renewal before expiration) IIRC.

you are fine, your current LTC will suffice until the new one arrives. Its no longer 90 days, its until the new one arrives (provided you applied for renewal before expiration) IIRC.

But ONLY true if:

- PD issued the 1 page receipt (required by law, but some PDs ignore that pesky law), AND
- PD entered your renewal info in MIRCS BEFORE your LTC expired. [If they sit on it in a pile and enter after expiration you are SOL and have "0" grace period, something you won't know or have any control over!]

Another issue is that you're unlikely to be able to buy anything after the LTC's expiration date. This is one reason that I have both an FID and LTC, on different schedules. My last renewal went ~ 30 days over.....with the app submitted in ~ 80 days before expiration.

There otta be a lawr...... [rolleyes]

Thanks for the caveat, Len

But ONLY true if:

- PD issued the 1 page receipt (required by law, but some PDs ignore that pesky law), AND
- PD entered your renewal info in MIRCS BEFORE your LTC expired. [If they sit on it in a pile and enter after expiration you are SOL and have "0" grace period, something you won't know or have any control over!]

So if the PD enters your stuff into MIRCS before your expiration, but they don't give you the receipt, your grace period is automatically nonexistent?

So if the PD enters your stuff into MIRCS before your expiration, but they don't give you the receipt, your grace period is automatically nonexistent?

The way the law was written, that "permission slip" is supposed to allow you to buy ammo (remember they can't ck MIRCS for validity for ammo purchases) and buy/sell guns plus ccw.

How well this all works in the real world is another matter and I've heard from a few disgruntled people who were denied sales during renewal.

The way the law was written, that "permission slip" is supposed to allow you to buy ammo (remember they can't ck MIRCS for validity for ammo purchases) and buy/sell guns plus ccw.

How well this all works in the real world is another matter and I've heard from a few disgruntled people who were denied sales during renewal.

Got it, but technically it doesn't mean that your grace period doesn't exist or isn't valid, it just means you might have to deal with some crap until it is ascertained that you should have been issued that receipt (whether making a purchase or being stopped roadside by LEO, for example)

Thanks for the replies guys. I have no plans to buy any firearm in the near future and have enough ammo for now. I'm more concerned with cc and traveling to the ranging. I was not given a receipt. It's been 6 weeks since my license expired. Thanks again

Thanks for the replies guys. I have no plans to buy any firearm in the near future and have enough ammo for now. I'm more concerned with cc and traveling to the ranging. I was not given a receipt. It's been 6 weeks since my license expired. Thanks again

Go back to the PD and demand a receipt. Tell them about the law and that you need it to buy ammo (true, even if you have no such intentions). They should comply if requested.

If I had to wager?.. It will most likely work out the way literally everything else "works out" for law abiding gun owners in MA: without any KY Jelly or even a little lovin' before the f*ckin'... More examples of "backdoor" gun control.

Just sayin'

Just curious, as i'm about a year out from LTC expiring. What is the earliest I can submit for renewal? (Framingham)

Per FRB Director, 6 months. Some departments have their own "rules" <surprise, surprise>!

For posterity, and because this happens ALL THE TIME, if you apply early, and get your license early, make note of the 'activation' date and do not stop carrying and using the old one. Certainly don't destroy it. There is usually NO overlap! The new one won't be valid until the day after the old one expires.

You might want to give the state DCJIS inquiry number a try (617-660-4722) before going back to your local police. That's how I found out that my application had been processed, approved, and send back to my local police department about 5 weeks after I applied which was about two weeks before I made the call. Apparently my local PD thinks they need to hang on to the license until my current one expires - I can't seem to convince them otherwise and frankly don't have the energy to push that rope up the hill.

FWIW, I didn't get a receipt when I submitted (first time renewal so I didn't know to ask until after the fact) but I do have a nice bank-supplied image of my cashed check if it ever comes down to proving I applied.

You might want to give the state DCJIS inquiry number a try (617-660-4722) before going back to your local police. That's how I found out that my application had been processed, approved, and send back to my local police department about 5 weeks after I applied which was about two weeks before I made the call. Apparently my local PD thinks they need to hang on to the license until my current one expires - I can't seem to convince them otherwise and frankly don't have the energy to push that rope up the hill.

FWIW, I didn't get a receipt when I submitted (first time renewal so I didn't know to ask until after the fact) but I do have a nice bank-supplied image of my cashed check if it ever comes down to proving I applied.

Sadly that check won't prove anything wrt the grace period. If it wasn't put into MIRCS prior to expiration you have no grace period even if you submitted it months before (I know your case is likely different).

I'm planning on trying to make it to the range tomorrow, which is the day that my Mass (NR) LTC expires. The LTC expiry date is considered part of the valid period, correct?

Sadly that check won't prove anything wrt the grace period. If it wasn't put into MIRCS prior to expiration you have no grace period even if you submitted it months before (I know your case is likely different).

Agreed on both counts. My case is different (unless the state folks were lying to me it was in and through the MIRCS already) and yes, that cashed check wouldn't provide me a grace period for purchasing firearms/ammo. However, that check will prove very useful if I have to go down to the local PD with a bundle of "you took my money 4 months ago, the state says I've been issued, now where is my license?!?!" Might at least get me a post-hoc official receipt in the event my license gets "lost" at the local PD.

I finally got the call to come and pickup my license yesterday. 4 1/2 months from my interview and 9 weeks after it expired and I live in a green town. I've talked to a lot of people about this and found 8 to 12 weeks after expiration is normal so be prepared.

Back
Top Bottom