Just checked in with my local PD.

Renewal timeline is as follows:

2-3 weeks for an interview appointment.
2-3 months to process.

Does this seem off to anyone else?
PD got back to me again.

Timeline has changed.
Turn in application with payment.
Wait for appointment (currently Mid-March)
Wait for processing (2-3 months)

I was under the impression that the 40 day clock starts when the application is handed in.

PD got back to me again.

Timeline has changed.
Turn in application with payment.
Wait for appointment (currently Mid-March)
Wait for processing (2-3 months)

I was under the impression that the 40 day clock starts when the application is handed in.
Yes, yes it does. Your point? /sarc

The Police Department needs to be removed from the licensing process...

You should be able to apply/renew your LTC or FID at the town/city clerks office, who then sends the application of to the Firearms Records Bureau for Approval/Rejection
after background check is done.

Leave the Police work to the Police and leave licensing to the towns...
That makes too much sense for it to actually happen

You know the entire system is broke and makes no sense when an ATF Form 1 to manufacture an SBR takes a fraction of the wait time as RENEWING your already obtained license.

You know the entire system is broke and makes no sense when an ATF Form 1 to manufacture an SBR takes a fraction of the wait time as RENEWING your already obtained license.
True DAT, my simple FID Card renewal was turned in 4 months ago and haven't received a call back to even set up an appointment. Expired a month ago. I do know as long as I applied my current card is valid but as we all know these delays are intentional and not due to any back up that is legit.

It means some towns are run by jackasses who play games. When several towns get the complete process done in 30 days while other towns take 4-6 month, that’s a bunch of BS.

I miss Westford, it has one of the nicest live sing officers.

When I renewed there, I think I called, got an appointment a week or two later (only because I could only go st 5pm or 8am). If I could go at any time, I think they had appointments open 2 days after I called.

The lady there is awesome. I think Aesrford is an example of how renewals should be in MA.

I started the process 6 months early, got my new license like 4.5 months before the old one expired.

Now I live in Boston and have a renewal in 2023. I almost feel like I should start the process today to maybe get my new license 3 months after this one expires.

Many of the shitheads at the PDs worry about only three things: How many vacation days left this year, how many years till retirement and where they parked their car. For them, the "serve" part of "serve and protect" is long gone. They have the lib dem courts and judges with them all the way. Jack.

As said .....every town is different.

Haverhill was easy as can be. Called....had an apt the next week. 8 weeks later I had the license in hand. And.....mine didn't expire till October.....I did the apt with the lic officer in May. Had the new license in hand in July.....3 months before the old one expired. I just kept them both in my wallet till the old one expired.....the new one had an issue date of October.

Easy peasy

As said .....every town is different.

Haverhill was easy as can be. Called....had an apt the next week. 8 weeks later I had the license in hand. And.....mine didn't expire till October.....I did the apt with the lic officer in May. Had the new license in hand in July.....3 months before the old one expired. I just kept them both in my wallet till the old one expired.....the new one had an issue date of October.

Easy peasy
Isn't the deadline 40 days not 90? So faster than most but still jurking you around.

I started my renewal last Thursday Feb 6th, my bday is the end of May. This is my first renewal in Harvard MA. When I dropped off the paperwork I was asked if I sent in my change of address when I moved to town. I did and the lady left the room and came back with a folder with my name on it. Granted it was very thin so I'd say all it contained was my change of address. No word yet, but I didn't think I'd hear anything for a few weeks. However, to contract this against renewing my Utah carry permit. Went on line, watch video, click a box stating I watch the video, filled out the online form, submitted payment. Today, less than a week later I received my new permit. This my good friends is how it should be! But we all know this and I'm preaching to the choir. I will update on my time line.

Just got a reminder from the state in the mail today. I had called a week or two ago, and was told it is 6-8 or maybe 8-10 weeks, and that it is the state that is making it take that long. This is for a June expiration.

Just got a reminder from the state in the mail today. I had called a week or two ago, and was told it is 6-8 or maybe 8-10 weeks, and that it is the state that is making it take that long. This is for a June expiration.
This is the first I've ever heard of the state, assuming MA, has ever contacted an applicant directly and in writing, regarding a delay. So I assume there is a very specific reason. No need for @Coyote33 to go into it, but maybe a yea or nea that my assumption is correct.
Have others seen this? A written acknowledgement from the state of a delay?
This challenges my long-standing beleaf that delays are nearly always a local matter. I'd like to know if I'm way off on this.

Two separate things. I called the police station, who mentioned the state delay. Reminder card from state did not. Sorry for poor original message.

Two separate things. I called the police station, who mentioned the state delay. Reminder card from state did not. Sorry for poor original message.
Same old story. The locals blame the state but if you check with the state directly, they will tell you where it is in the process. And it's always the locals causing the delay. Don't believe this, ask the state for the dates submitted processed and returned. And the fact that some towns can consistently process an app quickly, while others consistently take many months, and it's obvious that the cause of delays can't be a common factor (the state).

The renewals in Marlborough are handled by a Administrative Assistant. I called her about a week after I got the reminder from the state, she gave me an appointment about 5 weeks later, Oct. 24, 2019. Went in and submitted my renewal that day, painless and friendly process, she said we'll call you when it's in. The most it's ever taken me in Marlborough is 5 weeks so when they didn't call by the end of January I called them, she said it was approved and just waiting for processing. The Sgt. called this morning, 10 days after expiration, for me to pick it up.

I called yesterday on my renewal. They told me that it was mailed back to my local PD. I should have asked, what does that exactly mean?

I started my renewal last Thursday Feb 6th, my bday is the end of May. This is my first renewal in Harvard MA. When I dropped off the paperwork I was asked if I sent in my change of address when I moved to town. I did and the lady left the room and came back with a folder with my name on it. Granted it was very thin so I'd say all it contained was my change of address. No word yet, but I didn't think I'd hear anything for a few weeks. However, to contract this against renewing my Utah carry permit. Went on line, watch video, click a box stating I watch the video, filled out the online form, submitted payment. Today, less than a week later I received my new permit. This my good friends is how it should be! But we all know this and I'm preaching to the choir. I will update on my time line.
The change of address part always scared me. I always send it certified mail with a signed return slip, and 50% of the time the paper never arrives. So I am always wondering what happened to my letter. This last time, I received 2 of the 3 papers. The time before I received 1 of 3.

On top of that, there is no way I can ever prove I mailed the change of address, since all I have is a piece of paper saying I mailed something out, but not what was mailed out.

The change of address part always scared me. I always send it certified mail with a signed return slip, and 50% of the time the paper never arrives. So I am always wondering what happened to my letter. This last time, I received 2 of the 3 papers. The time before I received 1 of 3.

On top of that, there is no way I can ever prove I mailed the change of address, since all I have is a piece of paper saying I mailed something out, but not what was mailed out.
Since getting my LTC I've moved 3 time, that's 3 different towns. Never got anything back. So I'm 0 for 9!

Since getting my LTC I've moved 3 time, that's 3 different towns. Never got anything back. So I'm 0 for 9!
I know the State got theirs, since I purchased guns using the new address and it goes through. I'm not worried about them and the Federales. Im only worried about the almighty chief sitting on his throne deciding who gets to exercise his right and who gets f*cked.

Downloaded the forms last Wednesday and filled them out. Called PD. Got an appointment for the Next Wednesday ( today ). Was there for 10 minutes. left with the receipt.

Follow up on my renewal process. Paperwork in on Feb 6th. Recipe in hand, deck person said no prints needed but she took a photo. She said the licensing officer will call me. I let it go 16 days and popped in to see what's going on. Same desk person remember me and said "your birthday is the end of May...right" I sad yes, she said "if you did not get a call since you dropped off your paperwork you are all set". So I'm going to chill for a bit more and see where this goes.

Back
Top Bottom