• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Renewal Times

Darksideblues42

NES Life Member
NES Member
Just checked in with my local PD.

Renewal timeline is as follows:

2-3 weeks for an interview appointment.
2-3 months to process.

Does this seem off to anyone else?

Some are longer than others.

I know someone in my city that just did their initial app. Dropped off app, went back 2 weeks later (appts are only on Thursdays, and one was Thanksgiving.), pix, and prints, no interview (normal for this city), and was told "Should be ready in 2 months.

Each town is different - see the other current thread, about being jerked around.

Some are longer than others.

I know someone in my city that just did their initial app. Dropped off app, went back 2 weeks later (appts are only on Thursdays, and one was Thanksgiving.), pix, and prints, no interview (normal for this city), and was told "Should be ready in 2 months.

Each town is different - see the other current thread, about being jerked around.
All well and good, but what good is a statuary time limit if it doesn't mean anything?

All well and good, but what good is a statuary time limit if it doesn't mean anything?

Well, because the enforcers of the law are, of course, bound by....the.......same..........laws.............as........everybody else.........

I guess it's no good. Huh. Who'da figgered that, in the DPRM?

My point to the OP was (laws notwithstanding) that the scenario that he described is about average, and much better than some other places. Not saying that it's right.

When one looks into "wait times" at your local PD you will find an officer pulling multiple duties.
The solution to the wait times, go to your local town meeting, agree to increase your PD budget(pay more taxes) so that the licensing officer can devote more time to licenses. They can hire another officer to cover the duties he is giving up to spend more time on new/renewal licenses.

Not trying to be sarcastic, just realistic.

If you disagree with me, it would be interesting if you would look into your local PD and post here if it is otherwise.

The Police Department needs to be removed from the licensing process...

You should be able to apply/renew your LTC or FID at the town/city clerks office, who then sends the application of to the Firearms Records Bureau for Approval/Rejection
after background check is done.

Leave the Police work to the Police and leave licensing to the towns...

June 9th filled out the paperwork,
End of September to receive permit.

Even tried to get an earlier appointment at the beginning of the year.

You should be able to apply/renew your LTC or FID at the town/city clerks office, who then sends the application of to the Firearms Records Bureau for Approval/Rejection

My wife and I applied for GEORGIA concealed weapons permits the day after we got our Georgia driver's license. (aside - the DMV here in GA is head and shoulders above the DMV in CT; the process was clearly defined and executed with courtesy). The processing for our weapons permit took place at our county Admin building. We simply walked in, found the correct office and applied. It's handled by the county probate court. Presented ID including proof of residency, (our new drivers licenses), then fingerprints, picture, form filled out, check handed over - and she said she would call us in a week to ten days. Eight days later she called and told us that we could come pick up our permits.

My only basis for comparison is my CT permit (which has been converted to a non-resident permit). When I got my CT resident permit, it was through my local police department. Some of the people I dealt with there were awesome, a few weren't. There were specific days and times that I could apply, and it took 8 weeks to process.

From my perspective, it's the same process in each state; I don't see any valid reason for CT taking 8 weeks as opposed to GA's 8 days.

EDITED to add:
The CT permit I got from my local town was valid statewide, but only good for 60 days. I had to go to a state office to exchange it and more cash for my state issued permit. CT cost me $50 plus $19.25 on the original app plus $70 to exchange my town issued permit for a state issued permit.

GA issued me a statewide permit for $77.50.

Last edited:
When one looks into "wait times" at your local PD you will find an officer pulling multiple duties.
The solution to the wait times, go to your local town meeting, agree to increase your PD budget(pay more taxes) so that the licensing officer can devote more time to licenses. They can hire another officer to cover the duties he is giving up to spend more time on new/renewal licenses.

Not trying to be sarcastic, just realistic.

If you disagree with me, it would be interesting if you would look into your local PD and post here if it is otherwise.
Nope, Framingham has a dedicated Licensing Officer, sit's in the records department full time, no patrol responsibilities, and they don'r have a huge number of applicants. Still several months wait. And he doesn't even do the pics and prints himself. And he has a civilian staff person who takes the apps, enters them in the computer, and issues the receipts..... come to think of it, I'm not sure what he does other than saying yes or no. (first hand info from a former residents and member of the Town's Public Safety Committee).

No. The licensing process needs to be removed. There should be no situation in which you need to beg your overlords for permission to exercise a constitutional right.

2-3 months to process.

Still way too long. Shouldn't take more than 30 days. The actual processing/approval of the LTC takes maybe 2 weeks after the licensing officer check the boxes on his computer, add in a week on either end for administrative time, depositing check, etc, which is long even for a poorly run office, and you get maybe 30-40 days. Any longer than that is BS.

We go through this every year. If you ever get Mr. Peabody and your Wayback machine, have your dad knock your mom up a few months earlier. September birthdays are the best, it seems. Summertime, no one is renewing. December/Jan - EVERYONE is renewing. ????? I was told 3 weeks by teh officer at my appt last year. Which got me just under the wire. Called exactly 3 weeks later. Secretary practically laughed at me. "Oh you've got at least another 2 weeks. Call if it hits six."

I guess a lot of people apply and there are a lot of Kwanzaa celebrators in the gun control d-bag board for the state.

QUOTE]
I'm repeating myself, but I've lived in Acton for over 50 years. My renewals and my sons' first licenses and renewals have always been done in less than 40 days from app't, which runs a day or two notice. So it can be done. The PDs that blame delays on the state are full of shit.

No. The licensing process needs to be removed. There should be no situation in which you need to beg your overlords for permission to exercise a constitutional right.

I agree wholeheartedly, but I am willing to walk before I run. For now...

Dropped off application late August and picked up new license last week.

I dropped off my application the last week of September, met with the licensing officer on 10/15 where he updated my photo and took my fingerprints. In and out the door there in under 10 minutes. I received my new license in the mail sometime in mid November. It's still two months before my old one expires and the new one becomes valid.

I'm guessing that the ones that are taking so much longer are doing so either because of lack of resources or lack of caring.

They're doing it for the same reason that an off-duty cop will speed- there's no real penalty.

Damn few local cops will cite other cops. Though I did hear a story out of Bolton: Cop was pulled over for speeding, and when he told the patrol cop that he, too was a cop, the BoltonBoy said something like, "Then you should know that it's illegal to speed."

As noted above, they don't HAVE to care, as there's no penalty. Hell when GOAL caught several municipalities charging more than the statutory fee, and went to the State's Inspector General, they were basically told, "They're wrong, tell them we said so." Of course, nobody that was robbed....err....overcharged got their $ back.....

Mass non resident application was received at the end of October by the firearms records bureau. (they sent an email confirmation)
I don't need to go in for the interrogation this year. Not expecting anything back until the end of January. Most likely February.

The bureaucrats do this on purpose. Plan ahead. Don't let the wait time get to you.

Just requested first available appointment. Work tends to have me away more often than I am home the first six months of the year, so I want to get ahead of this.

Hey, at least you know what to expect. My PD is not answering my phone calls. Went to talk to very nice lady at the front desk, signed up for renewal 5 weeks ago and still waiting.....
Slowly running out of time, my LTC expires in April.

2-3 months to process.

[/QUOTE]
Well since an "Interview" isn't required, all they need to do is take you paperwork and give you a receipt (maybe they are calling Pics and prints an interview, but it's a renewal and they don't need those, and they take 2 minutes).
And the state can get their end done in a couple weeks, it's all computers now, no one is pulling files.

Ya, it's off. total BS. My NH P&R took 6.5 days, heck my CJIS check (which includes FBI check with prints) only took 2 weeks, this 2-3 months is just the PD jerking you around.

But without a change in the law, or a really good case, there is nothing you can do about it. Bitch too much and they will play the suitability card "Your honor, he displayed a tendency to become quickly agitated and angry, this raised concerns about his judgment" Your word against theirs and the judge will agree.

So keep cool, keep calling, and make sure you have your receipt.

Right, don’t mud the waters....got it! But what should I do if this continues and my license expires....? I don’t have a receipt yet! Waiting on them to call me when I can schedule appointment (5 weeks already).
Also, what is needed for renewal (it is my first)? Do they still need letters of character? Or just the application and check?

Right, don’t mud the waters....got it! But what should I do if this continues and my license expires....? I don’t have a receipt yet! Waiting on them to call me when I can schedule appointment (5 weeks already).
Also, what is needed for renewal (it is my first)? Do they still need letters of character? Or just the application and check?
OK real world advice, no sarcasm or commentary this time.

What is needed? Well the law says fill out the application. Any letters they required for the original application or what they may require for the renewal is coming purely from that department, so you need to ask them. They may list this on-line.

Have your paperwork in order and contact the CoP, send him an email explaining your concern about the pending expiration and needing to get the process moving before that occurs. Be extremely polite. If you get no response, send the same letter via USPS return receipt. You are establishing a verifiable timeline. It won't stand in for that receipt if your LTC expires, but it will put you in a much better position than not having it.

You could also contact your selectmen, you said town so I'm assuming selectmen, if it's city then contact the Mayor's office. Again, be polite and and how you're "just trying to follow the rules", they like people who follow the rules. You can do this in person, but follow up with that email/letter, you still want a verifiable timeline.

And of course, IANAL so you may want to speak with one.

My wife and I applied for GEORGIA concealed weapons permits the day after we got our Georgia driver's license. (aside - the DMV here in GA is head and shoulders above the DMV in CT; the process was clearly defined and executed with courtesy). The processing for our weapons permit took place at our county Admin building. We simply walked in, found the correct office and applied. It's handled by the county probate court. Presented ID including proof of residency, (our new drivers licenses), then fingerprints, picture, form filled out, check handed over - and she said she would call us in a week to ten days. Eight days later she called and told us that we could come pick up our permits.

My only basis for comparison is my CT permit (which has been converted to a non-resident permit). When I got my CT resident permit, it was through my local police department. Some of the people I dealt with there were awesome, a few weren't. There were specific days and times that I could apply, and it took 8 weeks to process.

From my perspective, it's the same process in each state; I don't see any valid reason for CT taking 8 weeks as opposed to GA's 8 days.

EDITED to add:
The CT permit I got from my local town was valid statewide, but only good for 60 days. I had to go to a state office to exchange it and more cash for my state issued permit. CT cost me $50 plus $19.25 on the original app plus $70 to exchange my town issued permit for a state issued permit.

GA issued me a statewide permit for $77.50.
It was even easier in AL. I went to the County Sherif's Office after I got my driver's license. I filled out a one page form, similar to a 4473. Five minutes and $37.50 later, I have my nice laminated carry permit good for 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom