• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Renewal times

Just trying to get a feel for how long the state has been taking to renew LTCs.

Live in Shirley, MA and my LTC expires November 21.

Questions:

1. When should I submit my app?
2. Anyone know how the new CLEO is regarding LTCs and restrictions?
ETA: Found this thread over in the Members Section: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...MA-licensing?p=4507291&viewfull=1#post4507291
Sounds like I'm in good shape....unless anyone has any negative experiences to share.

Thanks

Last edited:
FWIW, mine expires on December 20th, and I just dropped off my app last week in Gloucester. I was told by the licensing woman that I should have it within 6 weeks.

Dropped off my renewal April 14th, interview late June, Laborday still no renewed LTC. YRMV

Last edited:
I always advise 4 months in advance, no matter how good the PD is.

Ludlow used to be super fast but the cop in charge did the paperwork as it came in.

The new one in charge now does them when he has a bunch? That's what the lady told me last time I filled one out.

I always had mine back in a month or less till my last one when the new Lieutenant took over.

For me it seems most of the hold up is at the local levels.

Do you have to get your fingerprints done again for a renewal? That part was the major delay in getting my original LTC issued.

In my very green town there's a new person doing the interviews and paperwork. It took 6 weeks just to get an appointment to see him and hand in the form. I'm now sitting on an expired LTC with a receipt proving I applied for the renewal before it expired. I just looked at the receipt and it's been 8 weeks and I'm still waiting. I think it's time I called him. I'm guessing it's been sitting on his desk for weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have to get your fingerprints done again for a renewal? That part was the major delay in getting my original LTC issued.
No fingerprints. Just hand in the form, money and smile for the camera.

I renewed in February to make my birthday in March.
I had received a card from the state reminding to renew early because of delays.
The licensing officer said 4 weeks was early enough. Who was I going to believe...him or the state.

I had it in hand the week of my birthday, 4 weeks later!
No finger prints, just a new picture.

Just got back from doing my renewal... 6-8 weeks should put me right at the point of expiration!

12/22 and still not LTC! PD said the renewal went through (they sent it out) but I never received it in the mail- same address for 20 years!
Followed up two weeks ago- they would request new card and pin and hold at PD... I called today and still nothing!

I need mah Christmas Ammo!!

12/22 and still not LTC! PD said the renewal went through (they sent it out) but I never received it in the mail- same address for 20 years!
Followed up two weeks ago- they would request new card and pin and hold at PD... I called today and still nothing!

I need mah Christmas Ammo!!

If your LTC renewal was processed promptly, you are likely in the grace period and legal to do everything as such. You should be able to buy ammo in a real MA gun shop, with your LTC and receipt in hand.

Do NOT expect WalMart or Dick-less to sell you ammo during the grace period!

Back
Top Bottom