• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Renewal time line

around 2 weeks, maybe a little longer. i renewed 4-5 months ago and the damn thing has been sitting in the safe waiting for november when my current one expires.

This is a crappy time of year. Seems that many folks in CHEOPS take Nov/Dec as vacation time. On top of that, we've got a bunch of people born between 12/1 and 2/28. My birthday is January. I usually start around now. I've had years I didn't get my lic back until AFTER expiry. Apply early and often.

The timeline is whenever they get to it. I renewed 2 months before expiration. Took 3 months to receive in mail.

It all depends on the town. Some batch them at the end of the month and then call you in for your mug at the beginning of the next month. Then they will batch the printed licenses at the end of the month and rely on the USPS to deliver them to you. The better towns process the paperwork the day they get it or shortly thereafter and call you in within a reasonable amount of days for your mug. Some use your drivers license photo and don't call you in at all and it's in your hands within two weeks.

I did mine in August. It's up the end of this month. I had it within 30 days.

The town I live in won't take renewals until 3 months prior to expiration date
I was out fishing the last couple weeks of August so I dropped it off on September 1st
I received the receipt of renewal in the mail with a dated receipt of October 11th
So I'll see what happens 🙄

In Western Ma, my town won’t allow renewals until 30 days before expiration. Submitted August 27, check was just cashed yesterday.
If anyone is getting anxious, there’s a number that you can call (the same one to retrieve your PIN) that can provide updates on your renewal status:

It's better as a gif. LOL

HighlevelEnviousBrownbear-size_restricted.gif

License shall be issued within 14 days of application...
Call the PD and remind them of the 14 days....

[rofl]
In NH I did exactly that. Actually, the conversation was more like:
Them: We need phone numbers for your references. It will make the process go quicker.
Me: Well, since they are not required by law and you have only 14 days to issue or deny, I'll see you in 2 weeks.
10 days later I got a call that my license could be picked up.

Renewed mine in Haverhill. Downloaded application, filled it out, attached check for one C-note and dropped it off at the Haverhill Police station. Exactly 60 days later, Detective Benedetti called and asked me to meet him at the station. He had me sign some sort of affidavit stipulating that I had not lost any firearms. I signed, we shook hands, he handed over my new license and I drove home. Quick and easy. He told me that my fingerprints were already on file and my most recent photo he downloaded from my driver's license at RMV.
What’s every one seeing for renewal times right now. Just dropped my paper work off today

around 2 weeks, maybe a little longer. i renewed 4-5 months ago and the damn thing has been sitting in the safe waiting for november when my current one expires.
I find that strange our police department won’t accept your application until 30 days before it expires. I’ve been trying to get them to let me renew my machine gun license a year early so they both get renew the same year. They won’t do it

I find that strange our police department won’t accept your application until 30 days before it expires. I’ve been trying to get them to let me renew my machine gun license a year early so they both get renew the same year. They won’t do it
my last renewal, same thing. they had me come the week after the 4th of july for the renewal appointment for a ltc that expired in november. i did 30 days before on the machine gun license but it still got back in 2 weeks. we have a dedicated civilian police employee doing ltc's. she's very efficient, as was the woman before her. i think they do 3 days a week for appointments.

The town I live in won't take renewals until 3 months prior to expiration date
I was out fishing the last couple weeks of August so I dropped it off on September 1st
I received the receipt of renewal in the mail with a dated receipt of October 11th
So I'll see what happens 🙄
So a little update on this
Expiration date came & went without hearing anything
I called the Firearms License Application Status Hotline a few minutes ago, the town finally approved it & forwarded it to the state.
Ok, I asked how long does that take? Oh about a month
🤬 So hopefully I'll get before New Years

I called the Firearms License Application Status Hotline a few minutes ago, the town finally approved it & forwarded it to the state.

Just move and free yourself.

freeeeeeeeeeeeedom!

See, you didn't remind them of the 14 day turn around. They a f***ing with you.

Went to the local pd yesterday to drop off my app after getting a note from the state to do so. They said they would love to take my app, but the new procedure is that they can’t be dropped off in person, needs to be mailed. So mailed today. And yeah, mine expires early March.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom