Renew now, or wait?

My license is up November of this year.
When I called DCJIS to notify them of my address change, I had mentioned that I got a post card saying it's 3 months, you should start the renewal process. They said yup, go ahead and start the process now.
Tomorrow I was going to cruise down to Northbridge PD and hand in my app and my $100 (or at least find out when I can).
Today I put an offer on a townhouse in Billerica, which was accepted. Closing probably won't be until mid to late September.

What does everyone think? Should I just wait until I move again - or renew my license in Northbridge?
I actually don't care what my license says WRT to the address, since it doesn't matter.
The only annoying thing is that if it doesn't come within a month (is that even possible? Does Boston need to expire my old one?) I'll likely need to drive back out to Northbridge to pick it up - not the end of the world.

What say you NES? Renew now, or later?

me, i'd renew now just cause i get antsy about that stuff and deal with it later. mine is expired in nov also. i called down the station first week of july to see what kind of a lead time i'd need to make my renewal appointment. she gave me a date for the next week! i was told the state is backed up 10 weeks. i'm 4 1/2 weeks into the wait.

eta: just as a side note, i was told by the registry last friday they are backed up 10-12 weeks issuing hp placard renewals. sounds like the governor needs to reopen some job descriptions and hire a few more folks all around.

Last edited:
Or repeal some bullshit regulations that require so much ****ing Government Bureacracy and Red Tape.
not to jack the thread but repealing government bureaucracy is like negotiating a contract, once you get stuff taken off the table you never get it back.

I called my PD in June asking for lead times as mine expired in Oct. They said to call back in August and schedule something then. They reminded me that as long as I have my paperwork in then I am GTG. I like that they know that, but I also hope that they don't use it to their advantage.

Sooner rather than later. A lot depends on your town. My police dept. had a change of staff and the new guy seems like an OK guy but doesn't GAF about the calendar. I think to get processed through him took 7 weeks. I think from first phone call to receiving my new license took 3.5 months.

Its up to you, really. As long as your renewal is entered into the system before your expiration date, you are GTG with doing everything on your LTC. The issue you may run into is that you may find a dealer who will not sell you a firearm or ammo because your LTC is "expired" even though you are in the grace period for renewals. \

Back
Top Bottom