Renew ltc in mass

Anyone know how long before expiration date, should i apply to renew my LTC . In Massachusetts.
I got a postcard from the MA Executive Office of Public Safety last week telling me my LTC expires in June and to start the renewal process as soon as possible.
I called the local PD and have an appointment for the end of February. I’ll be lucky if I get the renew by my expiration.

I got a postcard from the MA Executive Office of Public Safety last week telling me my LTC expires in June and to start the renewal process as soon as possible.
I called the local PD and have an appointment for the end of February.
Wow, I'm shocked!

I know some officers in the department where I have my LTC. They still will not let me book an appointment more than a couple of months in advance. Last 2 renewals it was expired for 3 months before the new one arrived! I know it is still "valid" but purchasing or selling is difficult at best and close to impossible.

Looking to move soon!

Anyone know how long before expiration date, should i apply to renew my LTC . In Massachusetts.
Call the station. If they are taking walk ins, don't require any bogus additional steps and process immediately, they may not let you apply for renewal too early. Get the printed receipt that your application has been entered. Good luck. Matt
ETA: My last LTC was less than 4 weeks total time.

Damn, isn't there a sticky about this, we are getting a lot of threads on it.

The answer is simple, you can never renew too soon (as long as you are within 7-8 months of the renewal).

I sent my renewal 6 months early.

I really think it depends on your town. I went in like 5 or 6 months early. Had my new card about a month later.

I always end up carrying my expired one for a couple months. I just make sure to get anything that may require it for purchase before the expiration date as I know it'll never come before hand.

Besides probably doing things in batches on a particular time frame, can somebody explain, especially on a renewal, why it takes months from the time you apply till the time you get it back. I know, I'll have to sift through a bunch of dickfers, dumbocrat and mystical, cryptic responses before there is somebody that may or may not know what takes place.

I always end up carrying my expired one for a couple months. I just make sure to get anything that may require it for purchase before the expiration date as I know it'll never come before hand.

Besides probably doing things in batches on a particular time frame, can somebody explain, especially on a renewal, why it takes months from the time you apply till the time you get it back. I know, I'll have to sift through a bunch of dickfers, dumbocrat and mystical, cryptic responses before there is somebody that may or may not know what takes place.
Read here:

I post this stuff in my training forum, since I'm allowed to freeze my own posts there, so you don't have to wade thru 10 pages of junk.

Not much has changed since I posted that. Each step back to the PD waits for a PD action. If they let the Emails just sit there for months, that's what leads to the long delays.

Seems like it takes different times in different towns in MA. Once I got my letter from the state, I started the process. It is OK to have the new LTC before the old one expires, just depends on if the police will do it. In my case, I got my new LTC 3 months before my old one expires. If it shows up late, you have a receipt (make sure you get the receipt) that it was started before expiration. Good luck

10/13/22 - RCVD renewal letter from DCJIS
10/14/22 - Per town website, completed Firearms License Application and mailed w/ $100 check, awaiting call for appointment
10/20/22 - Rcvd call from Police and scheduled an interview for November 7th @ 1:30pm
11/3/22 - Rcvd call from Sgt and he had to cancel my 11/7/22 appointment... moved it to this date. Completed interview, picture and got a receipt. Was told the wait can be up to 8wks
11/25/22 - Rcvd my LTC

Back
Top Bottom