• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Renew FID?

Kicker96FS

NES Member
So my FID is going to expire in Oct. my LTC is good for a few more years. Should I feed the beast another hundred bucks for a renewal of the FID or let it go? I know some say to have both in case I got jammed up on the CC but I would think the popo would grab everything regardless.

What say?

Don't waist your time and money.
They would take your guns regardless.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

This is what I have been told as well by a few different leos. It was kind of an urban legend if you will, that having the shall issue FID would allow you to retain your non-high cap long guns, shotguns, etc., but when they issue a confiscation order, everything goes. The caveat here is that you may be able to retain the FID to buy more long guns and ammo afterwards, even if your LTC remains suspended.

So my FID is going to expire in Oct. my LTC is good for a few more years. Should I feed the beast another hundred bucks for a renewal of the FID or let it go? I know some say to have both in case I got jammed up on the CC but I would think the popo would grab everything regardless.

What say?

Wouldn't waste the money. Your assumption is right.

Don't waist your time and money.
They would take your guns regardless.

This is what I have been told as well by a few different leos. It was kind of an urban legend if you will, that having the shall issue FID would allow you to retain your non-high cap long guns, shotguns, etc., but when they issue a confiscation order, everything goes. The caveat here is that you may be able to retain the FID to buy more long guns and ammo afterwards, even if your LTC remains suspended.

Yes, they will take everything IN THE HOUSE (no matter who owns it) regardless of any other permit (FID). Yes, you might be able to still buy new toys, but what is gone is gone (usually to a bonded warehouse, never to be seen again).

Likewise I've confirmed this with a few LEOs in different departments.

What say?
Put that 100$ in the fund to get you all the way over the border.

Why would someone have/need an FID & LTC? The LTC covers everything: large & non-large cap handguns, rifles & shotguns. Why waste the time & money with an FID if you have an LTC?

"no matter who owns it"

LenS, this seems impossible, but then again we're talking the P.R.M. Guess I can't get out of this state fast enough.

Not hardly. Read Jarvis v. Village Vault off the comm2a.org website and you will see what I mean.

And it makes sense in a way probably only understandable to someone who has worked in law enforcement. Unless the homeowners (and all residents) are all cuffed and stuffed, for officer safety they want to spend the least amount of time possible in someone's home while confiscating property. As much as I hate it, I'll tell you that it is a very dangerous job so "in and out" is the objective, not sitting around discussing ownership and checking records for an hour or so.

Remember when the FID card was good for life and only cost $2.00!!!

Yes, my Wife and I still have ours.

Why would someone have/need an FID & LTC? The LTC covers everything: large & non-large cap handguns, rifles & shotguns. Why waste the time & money with an FID if you have an LTC?

Pay attention, one normally gets a FID card if they hunt. Then maybe a few years down the road they decide it would be nice to shoot a hand gun, goes and gets a LTC, now he (or she) has both. The FID comes up for renewal first because it is the oldest.

Not everyone goes for the "gold" when they really don't have an interest at the time.

Pay attention, one normally gets a FID card if they hunt. Then maybe a few years down the road they decide it would be nice to shoot a hand gun, goes and gets a LTC, now he (or she) has both. The FID comes up for renewal first because it is the oldest.

Not everyone goes for the "gold" when they really don't have an interest at the time.

Pay attention?....let's think about it.
Its $100 for the FID. Its $100 for the LTC. The LTC gives more options. If someone isn't wise enough to go with more options, then its like a 'stupid tax'. You have to pay $100 to upgrade to the license you should have gotten in the first place. Then he's wondering if he should keep the lesser FID card? Why have the FID at all when you have an LTC?

True, and in some cases people obtain the FID as teens before they are legally able to get an LTC which is another reason they might have both expiring at different times.

What say?
Depends entirely upon your personal situation and what you currently own or plan to own. I can only speak for myself, but my (licensed) shooting career began almost 35 years ago, when I got my first FID back in January, 1979. Never needed anything else. Also, FID is "shall issue", so there is no problem with "suitability" B.S. Do you have anything in your background that could cause a police chief to deny the LTC? A dentist in Wakefield, MA was denied renewal of his LTC because his ex-wife took out a 209A restraining order against him. He fought it in court since the restraining order expired many years earlier, no doubt spending a lot of money, and the judge ended up siding with the chief who denied the renewal.

"no matter who owns it"

LenS, this seems impossible, but then again we're talking the P.R.M. Guess I can't get out of this state fast enough.
Perfect reason for keeping family heirlooms, war trophies, etc. out of state. Just keep what you need at home for hunting, target shooting and home defense and make sure that the firearms kept at home are basic, no-frills, inexpensive workhorse models. That way, in the event of confiscation, you retain the valuable stuff.

Perfect reason for keeping family heirlooms, war trophies, etc. out of state. Just keep what you need at home for hunting, target shooting and home defense and make sure that the firearms kept at home are basic, no-frills, inexpensive workhorse models. That way, in the event of confiscation, you retain the valuable stuff.

MGL C. 269 S. 10 makes it a felony not to turn over everything (or tell police WHERE they are if not in the state or residence) IMMEDIATELY. It is a distinctly separate offense so that even if the reason for confiscation is deemed invalid (RO canceled), the felony will still stand. What you do is up to you, but you need to be aware that MA has "covered the bases" to ensure all items are confiscated or person goes to jail (and is a Federal PP regardless of sentence).

MGL C. 269 S. 10 makes it a felony not to turn over everything (or tell police WHERE they are if not in the state or residence) IMMEDIATELY. It is a distinctly separate offense so that even if the reason for confiscation is deemed invalid (RO canceled), the felony will still stand. What you do is up to you, but you need to be aware that MA has "covered the bases" to ensure all items are confiscated or person goes to jail (and is a Federal PP regardless of sentence).
Len, I am talking about BS revocations for "suitability". For example, I am your neighbor. I know you own firearms. We do not get along well at all. We have an argument (maybe I had too much beer that day, whatever the case) and the cops are called. I claim that you threatened to shoot me and that you have an arsenal and I am in fear for my life. Cops call their chief, he drafts a revocation letter which declares you "not suitable" and orders you to turn in all of your guns, ammo. etc. We all know that if a major crime is committed and one is under indictment or convicted of a felony, he/she becomes "not suitable". If I lived in Wakefield, I would not be considered a "suitable person" by their chief because I have a 209A (expired over a dozen years ago) and a A&B (dismissed; defending a friend against a bottle-wielding attacker at a now-long-defunct Lawrence disco over 21 years ago). That is why I stayed with FID. Because of these two items, any chief could deny me a LTC. Did not want to spend the money and risk a denial of issue or renewal in the future.

Tom, even in your scenario, 269-10 REQUIRES you turn everything over (or give them info on where it is) or face a separate felony. Do I agree with this wrt "suitability" when the guns are in another state that can't confiscate for "unsuitability"? HELL NO! But that is MGL. So even if the unsuitability is due to mis-matched socks, everything goes or you can face 5 years in prison (IIRC penalty correctly)!!

Now would the PD in another state confiscate due to BS "unsuitability" suspension/revocation . . . not likely in gun-friendly states, but giving the info means you couldn't be tried/convicted under 269-10 if they didn't confiscate in those other states.

Only real solution is to get the hell out of MA, everything else is a band-aid on rapidly growing cancer.

True, and in some cases people obtain the FID as teens before they are legally able to get an LTC which is another reason they might have both expiring at different times.

Revolverboy, read this one slowly, comprendi ? And that is only ONE reason to have both, I have a few others, but I figure paying a "stupid tax" is more fun.

Wouldn't waste the money. Your assumption is right.

Yes, they will take everything IN THE HOUSE (no matter who owns it) regardless of any other permit (FID). Yes, you might be able to still buy new toys, but what is gone is gone (usually to a bonded warehouse, never to be seen again).

Likewise I've confirmed this with a few LEOs in different departments.

Nice... Makes me wonder if the old flintlocks and matchlock I've got hanging on my wall would be safe.

Nice... Makes me wonder if the old flintlocks and matchlock I've got hanging on my wall would be safe.

Not in most towns!!

Legally OK, but don't expect them to know that or even care. In Jarvis they even confiscated (and Village Vault sold) a scope . . . must have been a large-capacity scope, right? [sad]

I've been through this exact experience, Long story short: Pissed off the wrong cop, got harassed and charged with a firearms crime that doesn't exist in MA, LTC Suspended, Was told by local PD to turn in handguns (had already transferred to FFL) and i was told i could keep Rifles and Shotguns because of FID

Revolverboy, read this one slowly, comprendi ? And that is only ONE reason to have both, I have a few others, but I figure paying a "stupid tax" is more fun.

If you've got money to give the state for having both the FID & LTC, rock on with the stupid tax. Give it away, give it away, give it away now!

Tom, even in your scenario, 269-10 REQUIRES you turn everything over (or give them info on where it is) or face a separate felony. Do I agree with this wrt "suitability" when the guns are in another state that can't confiscate for "unsuitability"? HELL NO! But that is MGL. So even if the unsuitability is due to mis-matched socks, everything goes or you can face 5 years in prison (IIRC penalty correctly)!!

Now would the PD in another state confiscate due to BS "unsuitability" suspension/revocation . . . not likely in gun-friendly states, but giving the info means you couldn't be tried/convicted under 269-10 if they didn't confiscate in those other states.

Only real solution is to get the hell out of MA, everything else is a band-aid on rapidly growing cancer.
Unfortunately, unless you are a hobo or planning to run off Whitey Bulger style, just upping and leaving will take time. You will need to sell a home or condo if you own property, give notice to a landlord if you rent, go house-hunting or apartment-hunting out of state, etc. It is not just pack-up-and-leave for most people. That said, my suggestions are sort of a stop-gap measure. Get the guns out of harm's way in the meantime until a more permanent solution is able to be explored. If the firearms are out of state, especially buried out of state, it would take nothing short of a miracle for MA LEOs to find them. In fact, your chances of getting struck by lightning and getting bit by an eastern diamond back rattler simultaneously would be much more likely. Again, speaking only for myself, I chose the out-of-state burial route for a rifle and shotgun while I was under the 209A so many years ago. Yes, I got the threats about getting a warrant to search for guns, but they really did not know what they were searching for. My ex told the court that I owned some guns, but she did not know the types, calibers, makes, models, etc because they were purchased out-of-state and no FA-10 forms were submitted. See, that is why I am dead-set against letting the bureaucrats in this communist utopia know what firearms I own. As you indicated, they can and will use such information against you during a confiscation action. If I had a LTC, there is no doubt that they would have noted my lack of cooperation and deemed me "unsuitable" come renewal time. They had no choice but to renew my FID after the 209A RO expired. I am no fool, believe me. I am very guarded about what I share with Big Brother. Loose lips have sunk many ships. Lessons learned.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom