Removing stuck flash hider

At first glance that looks pinned?
If you scuff off the finish you might see the pinweld better.
You can use to blocks of hard wood as a barrel vise and get the flash hider close to to the blocks
Although if your vise can not hold a vice block its probably not going to hold wood blocks well either.

That looks to me like a jam nut against a muzzle device. If that is the case, use the Reaction Rod, hold the nut with a wrench and turn the flash suppressor to the left as you are facign the muzzle

Blocks of wood won’t cut it if it’s that tight or has rockset on it , the barrel needs to be held by the locking lugs and barrel to keep it from spinning under torque
not exactly the best method but with some nice hard blocks a little rosin and a good vice it does alot especially for the DIY'r . Ive broken loose some pretty stuborn barrels with just V blocked Wood and the vise BUT the vise ( I actually use the shop press) has to hold well. The little 3-4" $40 vises on a flimsy bench is going to be a bit of a struggle.
Although since we are unsure if the muzzle device is pinned or not its going to be a struggle.

Note: I am not a gun smith and I have only done a few barrel swaps on some old mausers/M1 garands / 1903a and such. Some have been easy some have been a fight.
I was poking around a while back and seen this: And thought to myself.....WHY did I not think of that!
Now I have either purchased or borrowed the correct receiver wrenches for my needs.

I use a set up resembling this, but I take advantage of the floor model at work

For the OP its tough to use the "blocks" if the handguard /Sight base/gas block are in the way.

the closer you can get the piece to the holding fixture the better, imho

Last edited:
You think that's bad? Try undoing a cannon barrel from it's breach that's been together for 70 years or more. [laugh]

Hold the jam nut with a wrench and clockwise pressure and put a screwdriver or something through the device and twist in opposite directions.

For a muzzle device you really want to clamp the barrel, never the upper. There are various DIY tools you can make (a couple pieces of brass is a simple one) and vice blocks you can buy, this one by wheeler works outstanding for me - grips tight and no marring or cleanup to do after, for a stubborn muzzle device I'd grab the barrel right near the muzzle to reduce as much movement as possible.

If its pinned you got another problem, there is also some glue out there occasionally used which similarly could be an issue. Normally without such they come right off though, torque is not very high.

Back
Top Bottom