• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Removing Primer Pocket Crimp - A Study

ToddDubya

NES Member
Okay, I may be taking some liberties with the term "study" here, but I did a little experiment last night and I wanted to share the results. Don't worry about taking notes, I put an equipment list at the end.

First, a little back story. The last time I loaded 5.56 I removed the crimps with a friend's Dillon Super Swage. I had a bit of a hard time getting the primers seated and found that seating the primers called for two throws of the press to align the case, then seat the primer. It worked just fine but was not efficient. My friend suggested I use a deburring tool after swaging it to knock any remaining edge off the crimp. That made sense, but introduced yet another step to an already lengthy list.

Then, much to my surprise I found another tool that might be the Holy Grail of primer pocket swaging in Jim Finnerty's The Reloading Bench (see page 14, 3/13 GOAL newsletter). In his article, Jim recommends the Weldon 90 deg deburring bit. I ordered one that day and was ready to see how well it worked. Shipping cost more than the bit, yet combined was only a fraction of the Super Swage.

The Experiment:
For my experiment I started out with 100 pieces of military 5.56 brass that had been cleaned, sized, deprimed, trimmed (where needed), deburred, chamfered, primer pockets uniformed and flash holes deburred. Jesus, that's a lot of steps. The last step to get these ready to go was to take the crimp out the primer pocket. I decided to try a few techniques and see which one(s) worked the best for me.

Last night I sat down with the Dillon Super Swage, the Redding deburring tool, the Weldon deburring bit (chucked in a drill) and 100 pieces of brass. I sorted them into four groups of 25:

1. Dillon Super Swage only
2. Dillon Super Swage plus Redding Deburring tool (five twists of the tool)
3. Dillon Super Swage plus Weldon Deburring bit (a second or two with the drill spinning at a fairly slow speed)
4. Weldon Deburring bit only (again, a second or two with the drill spinning slowly)

Off to the press!

After spilling primers all over the god damned place, I loaded up the press with all 99 primers (yes, I lost one somewhere in my reloading room) and set to work seating them.

Results:
1. Dillon Only - 1 misaligned (required two throws to align and seat) and 1 seated with a significant clunk.
2. Dillon + Redding - All pretty smooth, a few maybe too easy.
3. Dillon + Weldon - 1 wouldn't hold a primer at all, 2 very easy, the rest pretty smooth.
4. Weldon Only - 1 wouldn't hold a primer at all, the rest went in with a nice little clunk. This is the same little clunk I get with Federal small pistol primers; just enough to know it's in ([wink]).

Conclusions:
1. I do not attribute the too-loose primer pockets to any of the techniques I used. Upon inspection there is no noticeable difference, and in one case it almost looks like the crimp wasn't removed enough. Maybe those just have sloppy pockets. Nobody likes a sloppy pocket.
2. All four techniques gave similar results. I like the little clunk that I got from the Weldon-prepped cases and that technique is by far the quickest and easiest (and cheapest, assuming you already own a drill or drill press). Unless I find any reason to change my technique, I'm sticking with the Weldon.
3. JOIN GOAL! A 3-year membership cost me $75 and this one little tidbit I learned from one issue of their newsletter saved me $85 in tools.

I hope this helps someone. It was a neat experiment that if anything, gives my technique some scientific credibility. Happy reloading!

Equipment List:
Redding Big Boss II
Dillon Super Swage 600
Redding Deburring Tool (09000)
Weldon Deburring Bit (DB-14)*
TulAmmo .223 Small Rifle Primers*
Redding Primer Pocket Uniformer*
Sinclair Flash Hole Deburring Tool*

* Where I couldn't find a link to the manufacturer, I went with any old vendor that had the product listed. No, Midway will not ship components to MA.

Your pal,
ToddDubya

Thanks for posting this. I have about 1,700 Lake City 5.56xx45 cases ready to be processed, and purchased the RCBS primer pocket swager combo 2 to handle the primer pocket crimps.

I don't know about your interpretation of your results, though. You like the Weldon tool the best, but you lost 4% of the cases in the process for that tool (i.e., 1 out of 25). Admittedly too-small sample, to be sure, but I'd be pissed off if I lost 4% of my precious Lake City brass in this process.

I also don't understand the misalignment you are referring to in seating the primers. Can you please elaborate? I can't see how swaging the pocket can result in a misalignment.

Thanks,

M

My test wasn't designed to find the best, necessarily. I just wanted to prove to myself that the Weldon was at least as good as the other techniques. After processing a few hundred cases I'm looking for ways to shave time off some of the steps (or eliminate steps altogether). Having to run each case through the Dillon AND hit it with the deburring tool means handling it twice and extra time. Plus Finnerty already did the work to find "the best", I'm just verifying it for myself.

I'm not sure that the tool was the reason those cases won't hold a primer. I just measured them and the pocket diameter is .177" on each "bad case". I then measured a few other cases and they came in around .174", which is about the diameter of a fresh primer (at its mouth). I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the primer has an ever-so-slight taper toward the mouth (the one I measured was widest at its mouth). That tells me that the bulk of the friction that holds it in place is at the deepest part of the pocket, not at the back of the case where the crimp used to be.

Now for the alignment question. The swaging doesn't necessarily create a misalignment problem. And when I say misalignment, I mean the position of the case in the shell holder relative to the primer tool. Ideally each case would sit perfectly in the shell holder and the primer would ease right into the pocket. And in practice, this happened for me most of the time.

This is going to be tough to explain in words, but picture a primer pocket with perfectly vertical sides. If the primer doesn't hit exactly centered it'll catch on the rim of the pocket. You'd have to back off a bit and wiggle the case to get it to line up just right. Or, as I was doing my first time around I ran the primer tool empty into the pocket to line it up, then primed it.

Now picture a swaged pocket with just a little bit of crimp leftover. That magnifies the misalignment issue because the hole is too small. In both of these examples you have a zero tolerance (or possibly negative tolerance) issue where the primer has to be just right to get into the pocket (or won't fit at all). In fact, during my previous batch I found little brass shavings that I assumed were from having to force the primers in.

Lastly, picture a primer pocket with a slightly radiused rim. If the primer and case are slightly misaligned in the press, the primer will be guided into the pocket by the radius. Or more likely, the case moves ever so slightly to line up with the primer.

To add to your too-small sample size statement, for the same reason that 1/25 is too small to be conclusive, so is 24/25 and I knew that going in. I did this more for my own purposes to prove to myself that the Weldon bit works well enough to be my go-to decrimper. If I find down the road that it isn't working the way I expect it should, I'll be the first one to offer a correction.

I'm interested to hear how the RCBS works for you. The price is certainly right.

There's no way the Weldon bit caused a primer to be too loose. It's impossible.

Do you know the history of the case? If not, I bet it's a Federal (or FC) headstamp, and I bet it was loaded several times. Don't let the appearance of a crimp make you think it was guaranteed once-fired. FC cases with 'crimps' can be reprimed without removing all of the crimp. When you swage these cases it looks like the crimp is still present even though you can reprime it.

ETA: Even if it wasn't an FC, it could've been a crimped case that was swaged, loaded several times, then left behind. I have a bunch of LC cases that I originally swaged that are on their 5 and last reloading. The next time I shoot them, I'll either leave them in the bucket, or bring them home and put them in the scrap bucket. The primer pockets are loose. If you look close, you can still see the vestiges of a crimp on them too.

Last edited:
There's no way the Weldon bit caused a primer to be too loose. It's impossible.

Do you know the history of the case? If not, I bet it's a Federal (or FC) headstamp, and I bet it was loaded several times. Don't let the appearance of a crimp make you think it was guaranteed once-fired. FC cases with 'crimps' can be reprimed without removing all of the crimp. When you swage these cases it looks like the crimp is still present even though you can reprime it.

ETA: Even if it wasn't an FC, it could've been a crimped case that was swaged, loaded several times, then left behind.

Nope, it's a WCC 98. The two worst culprits look to have been reloaded because they each have two sets of marks from the bolt face (?).

Thanks for confirming that it wasn't the bit. I'm tempted to bottom out a case with the bit and see if it still holds a primer. Depending on how far it gets, it would probably send the case to the scrap heap, but it would certainly answer the question about taking too much off. And thanks for the tip in your article!

Now if I could just solve the problem of being a freaking klutz and spilling primers. Unlike most things in my life, I take reloading seriously and am organized, patient and careful. Yet somehow I manage to spill primers. Too bad they aren't attracted to a magnet.

Weldon reaming is step two for me. If I kill the case, I'd rather it be before the rest of my prep work.

I dumped my dillen swager after 100 cases. Never again.

-Trolling via S3.-

I bought one of those de-burring bits and used it in my drill press. I actually found it was quite poor, maybe it was a bit to large but I really had to press for it to cut even just a little. I found a 4 flute tapered reamer in a box of old taps that worked a lot better. I just had to grind off the tip a little so it wouldn't mess with the flash hole.

purchased the RCBS primer pocket swager combo 2 to handle the primer pocket crimps.

Good luck. If that's the one that mounts in a press, it was the one I liked the least. You might have better success with sorted LC brass, but with mixed brass, or with brass of certain headstamps, the RCBS tool is miserable.

Good luck. If that's the one that mounts in a press, it was the one I liked the least. You might have better success with sorted LC brass, but with mixed brass, or with brass of certain headstamps, the RCBS tool is miserable.

What about it is miserable, compared to other tools? Did you have the 1st generation or 2nd?

Thanks,

M

I had a 2nd generation tool. You have to adjust the height of the mandrel for different headstamps of brass, which is an extreme PITA when you're loading mixed headstamps as I was. I ended up sorting them into about 10 different piles and adjusting the tool 10 times.

The mandrel is also just big enough so that it's time consuming to get it through the mouth on a .223

It also left enough of the crimp to make the cases hard to prime on the progressive press that I used to load them (L-N-L). I ended up hand-priming the cases that I ran through it (this worked OK), then sold the tool on ebay for more than I paid for it. So the story has a happy ending.

I load in large lots (my last lot was 20K), and I found the Weldon bit to be a huge time saver.

Last edited:
I had a 2nd generation tool. You have to adjust the height of the mandrel for different headstamps of brass, which is an extreme PITA when you're loading mixed headstamps as I was. I ended up sorting them into about 10 different piles and adjusting the tool 10 times.

The mandrel is also just big enough so that it's time consuming to get it through the mouth on a .223

It also left enough of the crimp to make the cases hard to prime on the progressive press that I used to load them (L-N-L). I ended up hand-priming the cases that I ran through it (this worked OK), then sold the tool on ebay for more than I paid for it. So the story has a happy ending.

I load in large lots (my last lot was 20K), and I found the Weldon bit to be a huge time saver.
Gotcha, thanks. Yes, I can see now, how with varying headstamps and the resulting difference in dimension from bottom of pocket to inside of head, this would be a pain with a mixed lot. Fortunately I have 1700 Lake City, same lot, and 2000 IMI, same lot. I haven't used it yet, we'll see. At this price, and considering I own it already, it's worth a try.

I also plan on reloading them on an L-N-L progressive press. Maybe I should prime the on my single stage press first?

Just to be clear - the only ones I had to hand prime were the ones that I decrimped with the RCBS tool. When I tried priming them on the progressive, probably 1/4 of them would hang up and go in hard.

I prefer:
1) My Dillon 1050 presses
2) RCBS primer swaging tool with the $25 Lee Reloading Press
3) RCBS chamfering tool
They all work great for me.

Either one will work for both size primer pockets. I have and use both. One is 9/16 in diameter, the other is 7/16.

There are dozens or more varieties of countersinks on the market. Why that particular style of countersink? I am in the process of streamlining my military brass reloading process and this seems to be the last hurdle. I'm hoping to encounter some info that will convince me one way or the other.

I use the Dillon swage tool and follow up with a kiss from the Wilson deburring tool. The Wilson is one of two mounted in a Miller Engineering setup I bought 30+ years ago. I've never seen a mention of this tool since.

Back
Top Bottom