• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Removing a compensator / flash hider

Is it possible (read: easy) to remove a compensator / flash hider from a Post-ban upper assembly?

I need a S&W upper to finish an AR build and cannot find one for a reasonable price without the flash hider.

Also is it legal to receive the upper (in MA) and remove the flash hider before it is mated tot he lower? Or does it have to be removed before it is shipped?

Thanks.

Is it possible (read: easy) to remove a compensator / flash hider from a Post-ban upper assembly?

I need a S&W upper to finish an AR build and cannot find one for a reasonable price without the flash hider.

Also is it legal to receive the upper (in MA) and remove the flash hider before it is mated tot he lower? Or does it have to be removed before it is shipped?

Thanks.

Post-ban is generally used to refer to a ban-compliant gun (i.e., following the beginning of the ban, not the end). If you are referred to an upper that is not ban-compliant (i.e., pre-ban), then the flash hider is typically just screwed on. The major exception is a 14.5/14.7 inch barrel with a permanently attached hider to get to a legal 16 inches. So, in most cases you can just unscrew the hider and permanently attach a brake to comply with the ban in Mass. A permanently attached hider can be a little tricky, but in most cases it isn't that hard to remove the hider without doing any damage to the barrel. A pin/weld job can be drilled through the pin or the hider can be cut in half. A soldered job can be removed using heat.

As for shipping/receiving it, an upper without a lower is not a gun. If you happen to have the upper in the proximity of a lower, then things can get complicated. But shipping an upper to Mass is fine. For all the shipper knows you could have a pre-ban lower to go with it -- not that they would care anyway given that an upper has about the same legal status as a toaster.

Last edited:
Is the muzzle device you're looking to remove permanently attached? If so, how? If not, you just need a barrel vise and a wrench.

For all the shipper knows you could have a pre-ban lower to go with it -- not that they would care anyway given that an upper has about the same legal status as a toaster.

We have a pre-ban Microwave. It was made in the early 80's. All stainless steel, works great still.

As for removing the flash hider, check with Adco firearms, they do it cheap and are best known on AR15.com

If you're handy with tools you can remove a pinned/welded comp or flash hider.
So long as there are some threads left for you to get a new one on, it should be fine. In MA you have to pin and weld it so that will keep it secure.

I did this to an upper that I later attached to my sister's rifle.

Back
Top Bottom