• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

removeing case lube

mac1911

NES Member
@ what point and how do you remove case lube.

I considered retumbling my deprimed/sized cases in dry clean corncob media or is a quick wipe off sufficient.....im useing hornady spray case lube for now.

Tumble them after sizing. This will likely result in some bits of corncob stuck in the flash holes, so if you're loading on a progressive, put a universal decapping die in station 1 to poke out the media.

Or, block your ears and.....[smile]

Assemble the rounds with all the components, and then do a final tumble... E/C says that you won't hear any explosions.
The factories do it that way all the time.

Got insurance?[wink]

I have had enough problems with foriegn matter in flash holes and hulls of shotgun. I would sort and clean holes prior to reloading.

Or, block your ears and.....[smile]

Assemble the rounds with all the components, and then do a final tumble... E/C says that you won't hear any explosions.
The factories do it that way all the time.

Got insurance?[wink]

I do it all the time, and have never had a problem.

Why do you make fun of it? Did you ever notice that commercial ammo is much shinier than military ammo? You know why?

Because every round of commercial ammo you've ever seen had been tumbled in a vibratory bowl after it was assembled. Every. Last. One.

Just what the hell do you think is going on inside a vibratory cleaner that will make a primer go off? What do you use for media? Jacks? Thumbtacks? Even if you had a .500 go off in a bowl you wouldn't know it until you emptied it and found a fired case and a loose bullet.

Last edited:
Duke, I think the odds of setting off a round are much higher when the cartridge falls from the shell plate to the collecting bin on your press. Get real or show us proof of vibe explosions.

I'm not suggesting it's dangerous. Just don't want the recommendation attached to me, JUST IN CASE....

I've actually seen some on-line evidence that it's fine to do it that way. That even if there is a detonation, it won't start a chain reaction in the tumbler, and probably won't even poke a hole in the plastic.

BUT.... it's not for me, thank you.

Let me see...vibrating in a bowel of stuff made of organic material that is relatively soft vs. bouncing around in the back of a semi on every god forsaken road from the factory to your dealer. Or better yet...sitting in a metal box with hundreds of other loose rounds bouncing around in the back of a hummer or MRAP as it traverses the smooth roads in A-stan or Iraq. I will take my chances with the tumbler and still sleep well.

Duke, do you seriously think it would be attached to your name?

Everybody does it at their own risk. No need to be pissing in the punch bowl.

We know how much you reload etc. We also take everything with a grain of powder

I have had the honor of being taught how to cast and reload by a man who was in his 55th year and I am sure he forgot more in a month than I will learn in a lifetime.

Been to the homes of many on the board and gained a lot of experience by watching alone. Letting others figure out the answer to some troubling issues saves me time and maybe I can pass along a pointer or two.

As much as you know about the subject at hand and probably many more, you don't know all about everything.

Perhaps a little piece of humble pie wouldn't hurt once in a while.

Last edited:
@ what point and how do you remove case lube.

I considered retumbling my deprimed/sized cases in dry clean corncob media or is a quick wipe off sufficient.....im useing hornady spray case lube for now.

If I am doing a batch of 50 rifle cases or less, I just wipe the cases off with a paper towel. Screw tumbling them. For anything more than that I tumble. I use Dillon lube.
I've done lots of small batches of 30-06 and a few batches of .32 Win Spl the paper towel way as I usually don't load up more than fifty at a time. The Dillon lube
doesn't leave much on the cases after sizing so I feel comfortable with it. I don't know what the hornady spray leaves on the cases. The problem with wiping the
cases is that more than fifty probably leads to carpal tunnel syndrome at worst and just sore hands at best. [smile]

I don't tumble the completed round, not because I'm afraid that I'm going to start a nukular (sic) reaction but simply because I don't like handling the brass with the
lube material on it. I don't run the tidiest reloading room and lubed cases tend to pick up material along the way, so I clean them after sizing. I size & deprime on the
Rock Crusher and load the rounds on the Dillon 550B.

I never lube pistol brass.

Last edited:
Don't tumble loaded rounds. Powder burn speed is controlled by the grain size and retardant coatings. Vibrate or tumble long enough and you'll have faster burning powder in those loaded cases.

Here we go again... [rolleyes]

Even if what you are saying is true, you don't have to tumble the ammo very long to get the lube off of it.

-Mike

Don't tumble loaded rounds. Powder burn speed is controlled by the grain size and retardant coatings. Vibrate or tumble long enough and you'll have faster burning powder in those loaded cases.

Yeah. That's why they don't ship powder by truck, the military won't transport ammo unless it's in padded containers, and ammo manufacturers never tumble loaded rounds.

Oh wait, my mistake. They do all of those things because it doesn't do anything bad.

Just what the hell do you think is going on inside a vibratory cleaner that will make a primer go off? What do you use for media? Jacks? Thumbtacks? Even if you had a .500 go off in a bowl you wouldn't know it until you emptied it and found a fired case and a loose bullet.

Yeah. That's why they don't ship powder by truck, the military won't transport ammo unless it's in padded containers, and ammo manufacturers never tumble loaded rounds.

Oh wait, my mistake. They do all of those things because it doesn't do anything bad.

Jim you are in rare form today, I needed a good laugh.... Jacks tumbling media [rofl]

Last edited:
my god what did I start ? Last night I finished setting up my LNL clasic, adjusted the decap/size die sized up 10 rounds for my first load test.

I ordered a 2 bowl when I get to cleaning larger amounts of brass I will retumble after resize.

You can take a towel and put your ammo on one side and spray brake cleaner on the other, fold the towel over the ammo and rub it between the two sides. Your ammo comes out looking super shiny. You can soak the crap out of a round with brake cleaner and it doesn't harm it one bit. Quicker than tumbling (which is harmless) and you don't get corn in your hollow-points.

This ARFCOM thread should be read by anyone poo-pooing tumbling. He puts the powder under a microscope and has pictures after over a hundred hours in a tumbler. No change what so ever.

Here is another link to M4Carbine.com thread where Kevin Thomas of LapuaUSA and formerly of Sierra bullets puts out some good info. Note the legal team response from some of the other manufacturers.

B

If you use crushed walnut, you won't get crap stuck in the primer area while tumbling the lube off the sized brass.

I reload the straight walled pistol cartridges with carbide dies and do not lube the cases. For my rifle loads I wipe the exterior of the cases with a rag after sizing and before adding the powder, etc.

Heck I let my wife clean them when she does the dishes. Never had a case go off but boy she has more than once.
muttley.gif

Last edited:
You should get your blood lead levels checked. Ingestion is one of the most common ways it gets into our body.

B

I didn't know you were joking. There was a guy on another board a couple of years ago that did wash his cases in the dishwasher. If I remember correctly he got acute lead poisoning.

B

I do it all the time, and have never had a problem.

Why do you make fun of it? Did you ever notice that commercial ammo is much shinier than military ammo? You know why?

Because every round of commercial ammo you've ever seen had been tumbled in a vibratory bowl after it was assembled. Every. Last. One.

i just tumbled some 45acp lrn's after i reloaded them,
they look great.

I use a concentrated case cleaner on any brass that has to be lubed. I do all prep to case and right before they get primed I dunk them for a minute in the cleaner. It takes about 4oz of concentrate to make a couple gallons of cleaner. I use an old pool skimmer net as a holder and put about 400-500 cases at a time. Rinse in clear cold water and let dry. If I'm in a hurry I spread them on a cheap cookie sheet and put them in the oven on 250 degrees for about 20min to dry. And they are totally lube free and ready for primer and powder. Works great
Tank

Back
Top Bottom