Remove AR barrel

Does anyone know of any shops that would have the tools to remove the barrel from an HK mr556 upper? I figured posting here i would get the best results.

Most shops should, they are pretty common, just a punch to take off the Gas Block, a vice block to hole it in place, and an Armorer's wrench

You are talking about working on the most expensive production AR, I would have HK do anything on that. and make sure all replacement parts are HK. If it was an S&W or DPMS that would be different

Im a member on hkpro and read the threads about a few people taking them barrels out, but its not incredibly difficult it seems, but i would just feel comfortable having a gunsmith do it. I know i can send it away to a few places, but i just need the barrel removed, thats all.

It's so easy to do yourself with minimal tools

Not sure if serious...

I am going to assume that you are assuming that this is just like any other AR upper/barrel.. The HK MR556 isn't. The barrel is attached to the upper by its own proprietary barrel nut... Furthermore, everyone reports that the barrel nut is SUPER tight on there, and it is a complete pain in the ass to remove it, it has been said that this is because the factory freezes the barrel and heats the receiver during assembly ensuring that the barrel/nut goes on TIGHT and smooth. Special attention needs to be done when removing and assembling the barrel on the HK MR556, and having the proper barrel nut tool for THIS barrel nut would help.

Last edited:
I read the HK MR556 manual. This is just a piston AR. You will need to know if the barrel nut removal required propriety tool/wrench. Then, you will need to drive the 2 pins from the gas block. You will need to remove the flash hider or compensator/brake to remove the gas block.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

Im a member on hkpro and read the threads about a few people taking them barrels out, but its not incredibly difficult it seems, but i would just feel comfortable having a gunsmith do it. I know i can send it away to a few places, but i just need the barrel removed, thats all.

Not sure how far you are from Walpole. Don @ 1776 can help you. Highly recommended.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

Thats pretty much what everyone on hkpro stated. Is that the fit is extremely tight. The couple of people that did them themselves did say when putting it back together they did freeze the barrel overnight and it went together easier.
Not sure if serious...

I am going to assume that you are assuming that this is just like any other AR upper/barrel.. The HK MR556 isn't. The barrel is attached to the upper by its own proprietary barrel nut... Furthermore, everyone reports that the barrel nut is SUPER tight on there, and it is a complete pain in the ass to remove it, it has been said that this is because the factory freezes the barrel and heats the receiver during assembly ensuring that the barrel/nut goes on TIGHT and smooth. Special attention needs to be done when removing and assembling the barrel on the HK MR556, and having the proper barrel nut tool for THIS barrel nut would help.

Does anyone know of any shops that would have the tools to remove the barrel from an HK mr556 upper? I figured posting here i would get the best results.

Just out of curiosity, why are you removing the barrel?? Changing the upper or just a new barrel???

Not sure how proprietary HK's are, but i do know that LWRC's have special gas holes in the barrel for their gas block piston system, it's not the norm for ordinary gas blocks and barrels, at least that's what they say.

I often wanted to change the upper receiver from the stock forged to a billet to match my lower. When i get my LWRC SBR upper i will try, shouldn't be an issue. But as for changing barrels, i hear they are notoriously tight.

I was able to pick up a hk 416 clone barrel that i was going to use to SBR it, just waiting to get my tax money back to eform the form 4. I know i have to plug weld the gas block to close the vents so that the 10.4" runs at the pressure it needs. I would be able to cut the new barrel, reprofile it and re crown it to save me money, so i would rather take the barel off locally then have to mail the whole upper off just to have the barrel taken off.

We have done those in the past, the hardest part is removing the dang muzzle device on those, HK uses a very strong compound to permanently fix those on for us in MA. If you have any questions don't be afraid to call us 508 734 5476 Thanks - 1776

Ended up having the machine next to where i work make me a barrel wrench out of tool steel. Ordered the torque wrench from brownells and hoping i will be able to get it off.

Back
Top Bottom