• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Removable stock legal?

Isn't EVERY AR-platform rifle a "takedown" rifle? Push two pins and it's in two parts for compact-er storage and transport.

What am I missing?

-=-=-=

Edit to say I posted that before reading the whole thread and seeing others had suggested the same thing.

I noticed this question/statement:

"I guess I just don't like how keeping the rifle as two pieces (upper lower) keeps the internals exposed. "

There may be a market opportunity for someone to make plastic insert doohickeys that fit into the upper and lower receivers to block dust/dirt/debris from entering the cavities that would otherwise be exposed. Someone got a 3D printer and want to design a prototype?

Last edited:
Nothing, aside from that I'm an ignoramus. At this point, the last leg I have to stand on as to "why" is "it's cool". I honestly never considered unpacking the rifle via the pins and just thought of that as part of the cleaning process. As an analogy i kind of think of it as moving a patient while they're open on the table or something. I'm not a doctor but I figure you'd probably want to button the guy up first, like you don't want some guy's trail mix to end up in there.

Isn't EVERY AR-platform rifle a "takedown" rifle? Push two pins and it's in two parts for compact-er storage and transport.

What am I missing?

-=-=-=

Edit to say I posted that before reading the whole thread and seeing others had suggested the same thing.

I noticed this question/statement:

"I guess I just don't like how keeping the rifle as two pieces (upper lower) keeps the internals exposed. "

There may be a market opportunity for someone to make plastic insert doohickeys that fit into the upper and lower receivers to block dust/dirt/debris from entering the cavities that would otherwise be exposed. Someone got a 3D printer and want to design a prototype?

Nice! I"ll look for those pins. That seems very practical. I like field expedient! More to come, I think I owe you some photos.

Lot of companies make quick take down pins as well. They’re regular type pins but they stick out a bit on one end (easier to push out) and have a thumb type knob on the other to pull for ease of use. Generally without having those if your pins are tight when trying to push them out, we’d just use the tip of a 5.56 round to give it a little push in the right direction and then grab it with thumb/fingers to pull all the way out. Field expedient.

I’ll be interested to see what you come up with on your fab test. And for knuckle draggers like me pics help a lot. lol

You never needed to do this, the only reason the manufacturers did this (eg, the shitty tube Queen Bee describes) is because during the AWB with the one hole tubes is because they were acting out of an abundance of caution with the feds, and they also didnt want consumers to think they could just do a 5 minute fix or whatever and get themselves into trouble. Also, at the time, nobody really made a fixed stock that went over a multi position tube, either.

Magpul makes fixed stocks that fit on multi position tubes. The end product is you still will have a legal fixed stock but still retain a normal buffer tube. You can adjust the lop slightly by taking
a screw out, removing the stock and adding or removing a spacer as desired.

-Mike

Oh, just meant this as another way to “meet the law”.

I just drill and pin whatever tube/stock combo I chose for that set up.

I've seen some threads about take-down 10/22s or the henry rifle being legal. How about a removable stock? In essence it will be a "take down" 5.56 rifle. I'd like to fabricate a fixed stock for a piston driven rifle, and be able to remove the stock for storage / transport. Is this legal? The stock length will be unchangelable. The stock will not be foldable.
[wave]

So, apparently there is actually a product specifically for this purpose and it is $63.

Here's a video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9Y-ExSsPh4

Here's the link: Quick Release Buffer Tube kit - Just Right Carbines

IV8888 takes it apart at 1:35 here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11AwPDui3RI

Physically, I think it will work for my application easily, as my buffer tube is a dummy tube, so no springs etc. (JRC uses a milspec buffer diameter)

I'm currently bringing my rifle around with the upper and lower separated, and it takes me maybe ~30 seconds to put it together. I think this kit will take about 5 seconds.

Question is, is it legal in MA?! OAL will be >26".

Last edited:
So, apparently there is actually a product specifically for this purpose and it is $63.

Here's a video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9Y-ExSsPh4

Here's the link: Quick Release Buffer Tube kit - Just Right Carbines

IV8888 takes it apart at 1:35 here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11AwPDui3RI

Physically, I think it will work for my application easily, as my buffer tube is a dummy tube, so no springs etc. (JRC uses a milspec buffer diameter)

I'm currently bringing my rifle around with the upper and lower separated, and it takes me maybe ~30 seconds to put it together. I think this kit will take about 5 seconds.

Question is, is it legal in MA?! OAL will be >26".

Interesting product, but doesn't a JR Carbine require it because it is a monolithic receiver? For standard AR or Sig SCM, just use the takedown pins. I don't see it being any more difficult than what that guy did in the video and the net length is about the same.

Yeah - in their case it's monolithic and they created the part for an easier take-down.

In my case, I think it just takes a bit longer (perhaps for me) to put the upper and lower back together than I would like - I've been doing exactly as you guys have suggested with the upper and lower separated which is way better than carrying around a much longer case, but it still maybe takes me 20 seconds to pop on / pop off the upper, mostly because of the weird detent pin in the front. I also don't have a buffer spring so that makes it much faster on the SCM.

I guess at this point I think we're talking marginal gains in the magnitude of seconds. The other factor If the rifle is separated as rifle/stock in my bag, I can be a bit more efficient with space planning for other things.

So I'm just dotting i's and crossing T's at this point... seems like I can by this silly $63 part and not go to jail??!?!

The MA AWB reads:

(1) “Assault weapon”, all rifles and shotguns designated as assault weapons in this section and all other semi-automatic rifles and shotguns which are determined by the assault weapon roster board, established under the provisions of section five, to be assault weapons. Such term shall include, in addition to any other rifles and shotguns identified by said board, all versions of the following, including rifles and shotguns sold under the designation provided in this section and rifles and shotguns which are substantially identical thereto sold under any designation:-

(a) Avtomat Kalishnikov, also known as AK-47 semi-automatic rifles;

(b) Uzi semi-automatic rifles;

(c) AR-15 semi-automatic rifles;

(d) FN-FAL and FN-FNC semi-automatic rifles;

(e) Steyr Aug semi-automatic rifles;

(f) SKS semi-automatic rifles;

(g) shotguns with revolving cylinders known as the Street Sweeper and the Striker 12;

(h) any other semi-automatic rifle with a fixed magazine capacity exceeding ten rounds;

(i) any other shotgun with a fixed magazine, cylinder, drum or tube capacity exceeding six rounds; and

(j) any semi-automatic firearm which is a modification of a rifle or shotgun described in this subsection; that is, having the same make, caliber, and action design but a shorter barrel or no rear stock.

My read of J is that it only references a-i above - so a stockless SCM does not seem to trigger as an "AW" per my read. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
I am a bit confused here now. The MA compliant PC9 M-Chassis has a pinned stock that is removable with an allen key (shown in image below), is this something that should not legally removed during transport to the range? If so what the hell is the point?

19122-1.jpg

Hmm, that seems like a solid precedent. I think people above have opined that it "should" be ok. I'm being persnickity on the "no stock" language in the excerpt I found above.

96 NA and 97 M-Edition here.

I am a bit confused here now. The MA compliant PC9 M-Chassis has a pinned stock that is removable with an allen key (shown in image below), is this something that should not legally removed during transport to the range? If so what the hell is the point?

19122-1.jpg

That's a good point. Could just be intent interpretation. There's a subtle difference between take down design and allen head screw attachment, where the latter probably isn't designed as a means for hot swapping. Still doesn't really change the net result though.

Back
Top Bottom