• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Remington vs Ruger 1911

I'm shopping for my first 1911 and have narrowed it down to these two. I know everyone loves the new Ruger and they're hard to get but it seems like the Remington is in plentiful supply and priced around a hundred bucks less. Any ideas on why? Is the Remington a good 1911?

I was torn between the two for my first 1911 too. I really like the Remington but I wound up with the ruger. It just felt like it settled into my hand a tiny bit better with the big beavertail. I liked the safety better too. I just shot it today and was very impressed at how easy it was to empty the mag into center mass of the target.

For a couple bucks more I'd look hard at the Remington R1 Enhanced. I saw an interview with someone from Ruger at the shot show saying the problem was they started advertising and marketing their 1911 before they went into full production, creating a demand before the supply arrived so they dole them out in allotments.

Both are good guns. The basic Remington is modeled after the military version of the 1911. Short trigger, small beaver tail... etc. The Ruger has most of the enhancements that shooters want (similar to the R1 Enhanced). I have an SR1911 and am very pleased with it.

I have the R1 enhanced and I love it. I've only held the Ruger so I can't say how it shoots vs. the Remington. I can tell you I've had 700 rounds through my R1 and no failures. I love this gun. I think it is better than a Colt or Springfield in the same price range. Around $840-940 fro prices I've seen depending on where you buy it. If you get it on-line I'm sure you could get them cheaper.

They are both decent guns but the Ruger is Series 70 and the Remington is Series 80. The Ruger does not have a firing pin safety, which makes the gun less complicated and makes it easier for a smith to make the trigger really nice, but Series 80 triggers can be made pretty damn nice, too.

ETA: I'll also mention that the Remingtons are often not as tight as the Rugers are. Probably won't make a difference
for most users, but the Ruger slide to frame fit just seems better, on average.

-Mike

There is a lot of these Ruger threads lately, and I will say the Ruger is better IMHO. Now I have not shot the Remington, but as drgrant said, the slide to frame fit on the Ruger is tighter, and I think it's just a better made gun. I have also had zero issues with my Ruger. I haven't shot it in a few weeks as I am in between clubs right now, but once I get voted in May 3rd, I will be shooting the hell out of it all summer long. I absolutely love it.

Back
Top Bottom