• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Remington Thunderbolt is garbage.

Remington Thurnderbolt work well in revolvers and bolt action guns. I believe one experiences numerous ignition fau=ilures with Remington ammo due to the brittle nature of their priming compound. The only other caveat wit Rem Thundebolt is allow the barrel to cool after ca 20 rounds or you may lead the barrel. Accuracy wise it is better than the Federal bulk pack ammo in my experience.

The Thunderbolt stuff is total crap, bottom-of-the-barrel junk.
I bought a brick about 20 years ago and got nothing but aggravation with it, I wouldn't touch it again with a 10 foot pole.
I've also had some Mexican made Aguilla stuff that was nearly as bad function wise in my semi-autos, and even worse in my revolvers.
Aside from the nasty smell, (which made me queasy) the brass was so thin I was getting case head blowouts in the revolvers, which was spitting brass debris and fire on my hands.

NOT junk !

You always have to try different ammo in each firearm to learn what shoots best IMHO.

Having said that, I have shot the Thunderbolts in an old Rem 513T and a magazine worth stayed INSIDE a size of a dime at 50 yds! They work great in my Dad's old Ruger 10/22. Sometimes you get a random flier though!!! LOL

Older PMC Target 22's were very accurate & cheap to shoot in bolt guns. They out shoot other more $$ brands in my Rem 541S. Even the PMC Sidewinders - never heard of them and came across a brick for cheap so I grabbed it .... sat around several yrs and I tried some & it was great stuff! Wish I hadn't wasted it in that POS S&W 15-22.

Don't knock it until your test fire it because EACH firearm likes different stuff. I have had NO luck with the Fed bulk ammo at WallyWorld. Some love it - to my firearms, it is JUNK, LOL.

OLDER 22 ammo had more "power" to it - I have a lot of old ammo and it shoots FLATTER than any of the new crap they sell now. How do I know??? I sight it in for Fed Spitfires for example at 50 yds & when I shoot Rem Golden HV in same rifle, it is WAY off - misses the black all together!!!! My old stock Fed Gold Medal hits harder than the CCI mini-mags! I have ammo I purchased from the early 80s (remember the Winchester clear 100 pks from Service Merchandise for under $3 ?!)

Like I always say - "DON'T believe all the crap you read online UNTIL you have experienced it for yourself." [hmmm]

I agree bought a brick of Thunderbolt ammo had about 75 misfires, call Remington sent them back all they gave me was 5.00 off coupon next Reminton ammo purchase, still have cuopon will not buy their ammo again, Complete garbage

Works fine in my tube fed bolt gun, then again it will feed EVERYTHING. granted not the most accurate but if its the only choice ill feed it through specific guns only

Aint worth the aggravation in semi-autos,

Thunderbolt shoots great in my .22 rifle, no misfires, no problems. My .22 pistol is a different story, quite a few misfires, and FTE's. I've had great success with CCI blazer in both guns, not a single issue in almost 500 rounds.

Back
Top Bottom