Remington RP9 --- Military Arms Channel Review

they copied the P320 and still build a POS. Freedom Group = Fail. I hope Sig figures out a way to sue them just to add injury to insult.

i'm glad to see him chastise Remington for building this garbage. i'm sure Freedom Group would love to cut him a check in return for a glowing endorsement.

The guy testing the gun is a moron. It looks to me like the gun is short stroking, even when it is running without a jam with 15 in the mag. With a full load of 18 in the mag the extra spring tension is preventing the pistol from cycling. Different ammo or a lighter recoil spring might solve the problem. This performance does not bode well for the new Remington pistol, but the problem may be easy to solve.

The guy testing the gun is a moron. It looks to me like the gun is short stroking, even when it is running without a jam with 15 in the mag. With a full load of 18 in the mag the extra spring tension is preventing the pistol from cycling. Different ammo or a lighter recoil spring might solve the problem. This performance does not bode well for the new Remington pistol, but the problem may be easy to solve.

It's a brand new, fresh out of the box pistol. It's inexcusable to expect to have to change out the recoil spring to get it to run.

What a POS. "Innexcusable" is the word of the day.

Garbage product aside, it's just another reminder to shoot the hell out of your carry ammo, from your carry magazines, if you intend to carry for defense.

Doesn't bode well for Remington considering they are competing against like 30 other manufacturers who make full sized polymer framed striker fired 9mm pistols.

Beretta APX
Canik TP9
CZ P10
FMK G9/G2
FN FNS
Glock
H&K VP9
Kahr P9
Ruger American / SR9
Sarsilmaz SAR9
Springfield XDM
S&W M&P
Sig P320
Steyr A1
Taurus 24/7
Walther PPQ
Zenith Girsan

More importantly, why would anyone build a gun that functions that unreliably?

No kidding, especially in the internet age. One bad review or even a rumor of a recurring function problem could kill half your sales righ there.

They got it that far. How much extra investment would it take to make a gun that works? They clearly don't give a shit.

Why would anybody buy a gun that functions that unreliably?

Build? Beats me. Buy, though...

I have a good friend who collects terrible guns though, just because they're terrible, but only when the price is right. He calls it the "ring of stupid". So far he's got a Colt American, a Cabelas repro LeMatt, an RG22, a Clerk First, a Jimenez 380, a Nambu 94 (actually worth some money). He's in the market for an R51, a Bryco 38, and a Zip22 - maybe this new paperweight will be added to the list.

No kidding, especially in the internet age. One bad review or even a rumor of a recurring function problem could kill half your sales righ there.

They got it that far. How much extra investment would it take to make a gun that works? They clearly don't give a shit.

I suppose it might make a good malfunction trainer.

I suppose it might make a good malfunction trainer.

I'm gonna use this next class.

"OK guys, when you have an FTE you're gonna wanna tap, rack, bang - except the slide won't move. So don't do that. You'll need to tug on the slide a little so the mag release actually works, drop the magazine then tug harder to actually eject the spent casing. At this point you'll want reinsert the magazine while praying that the next round actually feeds, and isn't so damaged due to the previous FTE that it blows up in your hand. If you have time, remove the damaged round at the top of the magazine before shoving it back in there. Now, the slide release doesn't work so grip and rip - MAYBE it'll chamber the next round properly. If it doesn't, you're gonna want to beat your assailant (who's probably done murdering you already) with the pistol, which despite being huge doesn't weigh much because it's mostly plastic. Got it?"

R9 was originally a Para Ordnance design. When Freedom Group acquired them and mercifully put them out of business, they turned the plans over to Remington to make a competitive polymer framed pistol as they wanted to put Remington back in the handgun business again.

BTW I disagree about break in periods, some guns especially high end 1911's DO require a break in. I'd like to see how the gun functions after 600 to 800 rounds.

I think his point was that the factory should be doing the breaking in, like the CZ example he showed.

That was his point but if you have seen his other videos, you would know that he is a CZ fanboi.

Does S&W do breaking in, Sig, Ruger, Colt? How many major manufacturers break their guns in at the factory since you claim some expertise and appear knowledgeable regarding the subject. I got it that CZ does, but thank you for explaining it to me. Much appreciated.

When I toured S&W I never saw the break in room, must have missed that, same goes when I visited Colt too.

The point is, is that there is nothing inherently wrong with a break in period and some manufacturers even recommend it (IIRC Seecamp, Wilson Combat) I know that a cogent argument can be made that any gun potentially designed for mass issue and immediate combat should be good to go from round 1, but then again I once saw a batch of brand new FN made M16's that had all kinds of problems until they hit about the 500 round mark and then things started to smooth out. Personally I wouldn't want to take any new gun right out of the box and head into harms way without putting in at least 500-1K rounds not just for function check but for QC issues as well. In fact, QC is probably the issue that dogs most American manufacturers today. The current philosophy at both Ruger and S&W seems to be pump out product and anything defective we will fix after it's been purchased by the consumer. To that end, customer service is generally pretty good (probably better at Ruger) but is that the way to run a business that deals in public safety equipment where someone's life depends on it?

Anyway, we will find out soon enough how the new Remington pistol will fare. Anyone remember the Colt All American 2000 ? (Yes Virginia Colt actually marketed a polymer striker fired 9mm handgun, one of its most colossal failures in that often troubled company)

Last edited:
That was his point but if you have seen his other videos, you would know that he is a CZ fanboi.

Does S&W do breaking in, Sig, Ruger, Colt? How many major manufacturers break their guns in at the factory since you claim some expertise and appear knowledgeable regarding the subject. I got it that CZ does, but thank you for explaining it to me. Much appreciated.

When I toured S&W I never saw the break in room, must have missed that, same goes when I visited Colt too.

I'm no expert and don't claim to be. Wasn't intending to give you crap, just pointing it out as it was a 30 minute video and might have been missed. Sorry if it came off wrong.

Never had to break in any of my pistols except a Ruger MKIII and a Henry AR7... but that's just my personal experience.

R9 was originally a Para Ordnance design. When Freedom Group acquired them and mercifully put them out of business, they turned the plans over to Remington to make a competitive polymer framed pistol as they wanted to put Remington back in the handgun business again.

BTW I disagree about break in periods, some guns especially high end 1911's DO require a break in. I'd like to see how the gun functions after 600 to 800 rounds.

Good high end 1911s don't require that BS. That sounds like spew from Les Baer. Lol. 600-800 rounds break in on a polymer framed handgun? Not sure if serious...

It's a brand new, fresh out of the box pistol. It's inexcusable to expect to have to change out the recoil spring to get it to run.

I have seen more than a few 9mm pistols choke on 115 gr bulk pack (WW White Box) ammo. The problem is rather simple. Most manufacturers err on the side of caution when they set up a pistol for sale and use a heavy recoil spring to prevent damage. Some ammo works just fine some doesn't.

I'm not defending this pistol as it obviously has some problems, but the idiot doing the test wasn't giving the gun a fair chance. His final observation that the gun "didn't like "ball" ammo was absurd. Short stroking was the problem (low power ammo or too heavy recoil spring). If he had half a brain, he would have recognized this very common problem.

I have seen more than a few 9mm pistols choke on 115 gr bulk pack (WW White Box) ammo. The problem is rather simple. Most manufacturers err on the side of caution when they set up a pistol for sale and use a heavy recoil spring to prevent damage. Some ammo works just fine some doesn't.

I'm not defending this pistol as it obviously has some problems, but the idiot doing the test wasn't giving the gun a fair chance. His final observation that the gun "didn't like "ball" ammo was absurd. Short stroking was the problem (low power ammo or too heavy recoil spring). If he had half a brain, he would have recognized this very common problem.

In my book this is still just an excuse for a poorly engineered handgun (at least for this class of a full size polymer handgun) unless the ammo he was running was weaker than average. WWB actually is hotter than most of its peers in the bulk class. (at least the last time I chronoed it, not sure if it's changed since then). You would think Remington would have tested this gun with WWB and UMC, given that the box stores like Cabelas and BPS that were probably going to push this gun for them the most would be likely to stock those two, at a bare minimum... Someone at Remington is not using their brain... actually the fact that the slide itself seems to be grossly overweight is a nice sign of that, too.... when you make a gun with a slide on it that makes Sig / HK owners laugh and say "I'm glad we just lost the SCHOOL BUS title, Thanks Remington!" then you know you're probably not moving in the right direction design wise.

IMO "giving the gun a fair chance" is asking Remington to fix it and send it back to him- because his gun is obviously broken, so yeah, in that regard I guess he failed, unless he intends to get it fixed and do another
review.

-Mike

Remington didn't get the message that we are in the process of making America great again. Their handguns suck.

They haven't figured out that in 2017, with Trump being president that at least for the near future, 90% of their customers aren't going to be just paranoid tinfoilers that buy the gun and throw it in their closet and ignore it. That might have been a fair market assumption after Sandy Hookmaster BS, but not now... the market is clearly going to shift back to folks like us, and not just the email knitting circle jerkwads. Maybe if we cross our fingers companies like S&W, Sig, Remington, etc. can get back to making QC a priority instead of a luxury.

PqwLoe6.jpg

-Mike

I think he have it a fair chance. Considering there are literally 20 other full size polymer framed striker fired pistols to choose from, and further considering cheap bulk 9mm is the primary ammo people shoot with, if your gun of this category doesn't function with it, for whatever reason, then you have issues. And people aren't going to be buying it. And your design probably sucks.

Who wants to spend money and waste time upgrading or getting this class of firearm fixed when they can just spend less on another companies that works to begin with? Almost nobody, that's who.

Back
Top Bottom