Remington RP9 --- Military Arms Channel Review

That was his point but if you have seen his other videos, you would know that he is a CZ fanboi.

Does S&W do breaking in, Sig, Ruger, Colt? How many major manufacturers break their guns in at the factory...

When I toured S&W I never saw the break in room, must have missed that, same goes when I visited Colt too.

The point is, is that there is nothing inherently wrong with a break in period...

Does S&W recommend a break in period? No? So when an M&P chokes out of the box there is a problem. How about for Remington? No?

So your point is, in this case, not actually a point at all. Because some company has a break in period means another company who doesn't makes it okay for them to have failures right away? That's just ridiculous. And maybe there is something inherently wrong.

Does S&W recommend a break in period? No? So when an M&P chokes out of the box there is a problem. How about for Remington? No?

So your point is, in this case, not actually a point at all. Because some company has a break in period means another company who doesn't makes it okay for them to have failures right away? That's just ridiculous. And maybe there is something inherently wrong.

I never suggested or implied that there might not be a problem with the Remington Pistol. I was stating that I do not agree with the premise of the reviewer that NO gun should have a to have a break in period. His premise is that unlike an automobile a pistol is simple enough that it shouldn't require any kind of a break in.

Once again Bonesey you are quibbling and attempting to be provocative and IMO a somewhat feeble attempt to thread jack this thread and turn this into some kind of ad hominem attack on me or conversely as sometimes happen, failed to read what I wrote in the context I intended, (something we all do) and rather than ask for greater clarity, immediately jump into attack mode. Since I purposely stay away from NES during election years and have only begun posting again I see little has changed. Instead of be argumentative why not ask for clarification?

I would hope that you are intellectually honest enough that you realize one bad review is in and of itself not indicative of much of anything, however if you are going to allow yourself to be swayed by one opinion and then decide to quibble with me, I cannot for the life of me see where this is going. I'm not going to base an entire model on one review of one gun. This is another good reason BTW never to jump and purchase the latest thing on the market, it's better to wait a year and see how things go. I did this once with the Browning BDM and that turned out to be very disappointing and a lesson learned.

I don't own any Remington products except for ammunition and a bore light marked Remington. Freedom Arms Group has had some very serious QC problems with Marlin and we know about the R51 debacle. There is a string argument that there is a basic design flaw with the Model 700 which has never been corrected which has resulted in deaths over a fifty year period to to a faulty safety.

My issues are with a statement made by the reviewer. At this point, I honestly don't know if the new Remington is a good gun, a bad gun or at best a mediocre gun. The reviewer may have found a design flaw with regard to the ambi slide stop, but then waffles and says something to the effect that some people may contact him and say theirs works just fine. Hopefully he will contact Remington and share his observation and hopefully Remington will at least give consideration to his concern. I do own an M&P 45 BTW and it has not been 100 percent reliable as an aside. Something I found out when I took a course at the Sig Sauer Academy at Epping.

Last edited:
Speaking of crap, anyone heard anything about Taurus Curve?

I remember when it came out there was all sorts of internet trashtalk because; a) Taurus, and b) it was CURVED.

Has anyone heard anything about it since? I've actually always had good luck with Taurus, and figure the lack of attention might indicate that it actually works. Not that it matters to MA dwellers.

Speaking of crap, anyone heard anything about Taurus Curve?

I remember when it came out there was all sorts of internet trashtalk because; a) Taurus, and b) it was CURVED.

Has anyone heard anything about it since? I've actually always had good luck with Taurus, and figure the lack of attention might indicate that it actually works. Not that it matters to MA dwellers.

I shot one and thought it was neato. Soft hitting as any other small 380 I've fired, with a long trigger pull but not "bad" in any way which surprised me since the trigger looked so strange. Did seem to print a little less than my BG380, but I don't IWB my mouse guns anyway and they seemed the same in a pocket. Still prefer the Bodyguard, it points better for me, and fits my hands better with the finger rest magazine extension. The sight groove is useless but for the pistols purpose, does that really matter? Kinda made me wish my Bodyguard had a flashlight, inspired me to add a techna-clip on too, but not worth the investment to me even in a free state as it didn't seem to be a big boost over what I've got.

I remember early on there was trash talk because of the recall, and the pre-release haters went "AHA TOLD YOU". The recall was because some shipped with barrels that never got a caliber stamp, not a functional/safety issue; it wasn't going to fail or come apart or whatever. It a legal/safety issue since the frame or slide wasn't stamped either.

It does matter because I could buy one tomorrow if I wanted even in MA.

Taurus wouldn't be so bad if their QC wasn't so ****ing horrendous. (and that is being polite) It's not usually the "design" that's the problem its the execution of said design. I doubt that the curve is any worse than any of the other junk they make (well, outside of the ugly factor).

-Mike

Why at approximately 8:40 did he not inspect the round in the magazine for the same damage seen in the first video, following the FTE?

Another FTE. Two light strike FTFs is kinda gnarly. Three failed attempts to get the first round into battery, a mix of grip/rips and use of the slide stop? Uhhhhh. Two new problems, the same old problem. "Definitely an improvement" might not have been the words I chose. I guess anythings better than a failure every shot but that still seems like it's worth a $50 Target giftcard or whatever they give you at buybacks these days, if Remington doesn't make things right.

The ejection on the second gun using the factory-recommend ammo reminds me of my old man trying to take a piss when we're out hunting... sputtery and weak. Nice baggie sleeves = redneck brass catcher. He goes on to say that was a problem on the first gun, but it didn't look like it from the video - only the second gun had an issue and he even commented on it.

His conclusions at 19:20ish on the first gun saying he had "one problem" (oh and two light strikes) ((let's not mention the failure to fall into battery via both methods?)) has me scratching my head. The second gun was "flawless function"? What about the ejection issue we saw, and he mentioned while shooting? Why say flawless, then go on to talk about the magazines being a flawed design, and the so-called ambidextrous slide stop not working as a release (also a flawed design)?

A big/wide poorly designed $500 handgun that may not feed all 9mm and of all odds showed up to a reviewer needing a 600rd+ break in to fire consistently-ish. Top it off with the manufacture saying not to break it down beyond a field strip, and sent it to an approved gunsmith? This second review seems very, very, very generous. And as Mark056 mentioned before, another shameless CZ plug.

Last edited by a moderator:
i got check one out at the Cabelas in Scarborough ME. it's an absolute school bus. for some reason the pics make it look relatively normal sized, but once actually handling it the slide is way too tall and thick for a 9mm. as was pointed out earler it looks like remington wanted to build the 9, 40 and 45 all on the exact same slide?

anyway this gun looks awful. freedom group has plenty of $$ and influence to pay off a few internet shills thus gaining an endorsement here or there. with exception of their 1911, why anybody would purchase a remington pistol at this point is beyond my understanding.

BTW this reviewer describes the ruger american as a "sexy ass gun"...that's all I need to hear to know judgment is suspect.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
I really hate to say this....but I'll take my Canik TP9SF and Tri Star G2 shotgun over the Remington RP9 and 11-87 shotgun any day....god it sucks Turkish products kick our ass.

i got check one out at the Cabelas in Scarborough ME. it's an absolute school bus. for some reason the pics make it look relatively normal sized, but once actually handling it the slide is way too tall and thick for a 9mm. as was pointed out earler it looks like remington wanted to build the 9, 40 and 45 all on the exact same slide?

anyway this gun looks awful. freedom group has plenty of $$ and influence to pay off a few internet shills thus gaining an endorsement here or there. with exception of their 1911, why anybody would purchase a remington pistol at this point is beyond my understanding.

BTW this reviewer describes the ruger american as a "sexy ass gun"...that's all I need to hear to know judgment is suspect.

I know Ruger American has not exactly set the world on fire but it sure has a nice out of the box trigger IMHO.

I know Ruger American has not exactly set the world on fire but it sure has a nice out of the box trigger IMHO.

i haven't shot the american but got to fondle the compact model a few weeks ago. the gun is way too chunky for a compact 9mm. the grip felt straight up awkward. the trigger was OK. overall it just feels like a gun "designed by committee" where everybody wanted to add one thing. to me it's a real bummer because I think they had a good design with the SR9 but they executed it poorly.

the SR9 fits the hand and shoots great. the bore is super low. recoil on the SR9 is impressive. if Ruger were smart they would just clean up the SR9 design a bit, remove the stupid safeties, put stronger springs in the gun and improve overall machining quality. they were so close to making an awesome gun with the SR9 and here they go pushing a totally new unnecessary design with some 30 oz chunkass American pistol that nobody wants.

if any other manufacturer had executed the SR9 design, they would have built a phenomenal gun.

Back
Top Bottom