Remington rolling block

gerrycaruso

NES Member
I just bought a Remington rolling block in .43 Spanish and so the quest begins. I'm looking for reloading dies, brass, a bullet mold and a sizing die. The reloading dies and the correct sizing die are available but the mold is out of stock and the only company with the brass won't ship here. Anyone have any thoughts?

No experience with the caliber, but lots of threads over on Cast Boolits. Some chambers are extra-long and guys form brass from .45 Basic and other calibers to get closer to the rifling. Sounds like chamber dimensions and bore sizes can vary. Looks like a fun project.

Years ago I had a Remington Rolling Block in 11.7 x 51 Danish.
The Ammo was a pain, sold it for more than I paid for it.
I also had 45-60. I was cutting down 45-70's with a tubing cutter.
Nice clean hole on paper, like Wad Cutters. Sold that too.
I do love Trapdoors & Rolling Blocks, just so simple and rugged.

I inherited one from my uncle in the 70's. He was blasting varmints out of his garden with it using............
.410 shotshells. I shot .410 slugs out of it no problem and they hit the paper (Ha Ha) Left it at a friends house in Vermont late 80's
He passed and so did my Rolling Block.

I just bought a Remington rolling block in .43 Spanish and so the quest begins. I'm looking for reloading dies, brass, a bullet mold and a sizing die. The reloading dies and the correct sizing die are available but the mold is out of stock and the only company with the brass won't ship here. Anyone have any thoughts?

The Salem, NH UPS store will accept packages for a $5 fee.

I finally gpt through and the answer is no. Because I'm from Ma. I can't place an order for reloading components and have them shipped to another state.

The rifle shoots better with black powder than with smokeless but the 12 1/2 pound trigger is a bit much for precise shot placement.

Thanks to the effort of Dave Santurri, the trigger pull went from 12 1/2 pounds to less than 4. I'll try it tomorrow and when I miss, I'll have to come up with a new excuse.

I finally gpt through and the answer is no. Because I'm from Ma. I can't place an order for reloading components and have them shipped to another state.
If you have another out of state address you can use (trusted relative or friend), temporarily switch your address on a credit card then order with that as your bill-to and ship-to address. This will work for Grafs- they won't know any better. Grafs is a big PITA because they have some exclusive agreements such as for .312" Hornady projectiles that are fantastic in Mosins- but you are SOL in Massachusetts. The work-around will get it done, you just have to retrieve your brass from whatever ship-to you set up.

The trigger pull is great now but I'm having no luck with smokeless powder. I'm looking for a smokeless powder that will build pressure quickly enough to bump up the undersized bullet I'm required to use while still being safe. So far only black powder will bump up an undersized bullet. I'm trying to work up a smokeless load because my wife says the whole basement smells like rotten eggs every time I shoot that rifle. I figured out it's not the rifle, which I now clean outdoors. It's the empty cases.

The trigger pull is great now but I'm having no luck with smokeless powder. I'm looking for a smokeless powder that will build pressure quickly enough to bump up the undersized bullet I'm required to use while still being safe. So far only black powder will bump up an undersized bullet. I'm trying to work up a smokeless load because my wife says the whole basement smells like rotten eggs every time I shoot that rifle. I figured out it's not the rifle, which I now clean outdoors. It's the empty cases.
You are shooting a rifle in your basement? With black powder? Lol.

Did you try IMR 4198? ... reloading manuals have a lot of loads for lever actions, Sharps, trapdoor ... all rifles shot with black powder.

Also, paging @The Goose

I shoot the rifle at Harvard but I clean the cases in the basement. I've tried AA5744 and SR4759. Neither will bump up the bullet. I tried to find some IMR 4198 but couldn't. I'll try some but I think it will be too slow to bump up the bullet.

Back
Top Bottom