• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Remington R51

im not a fan of the sight length, but im sure that a company will come out with a dove tailed sight that extends the sight radius and isn't pushed forward

I am going to see about getting a few of these on order for when they do come in......

If you're in NH and interested in securing one, drop me a PM

Last edited:
As a MA resident, I wait to see what it takes to get a decent trigger on this one. It costs $75 for a shield and I have a quote for $175 for a PPS from the ONE smith who will touch it.

Having both a fixed barrel and a locked breech is quite a rarity in the gun designing world. I am curious as to how the actual locking method used works. I could never wrap my head around the original Model 51 without seeing it.

Equally intriguing is the promotion of +p ammo for this pistol. I have been quite surprised how poorly defensive ammo performs out of sub 3" barrels and the extra velocity would help fix this.

Perhaps they are on to something. Too bad it is Remington...

That said I would be a willing victim to pay for the chance to beta test it.

its pretty much the exact same size as the lc9

Actually, while some of the dimensions are similar, the trigger area is much more "compact", or higher on the Remington. This is true with almost all of the competitors. See?

hb7l.png

About the only ones doing better are the Kahr and Rohrbaugh, and those are quite a bit more expensive. Maybe worth it, but who knows. We'll have to wait and see.

About the only ones doing better are the Kahr and Rohrbaugh, and those are quite a bit more expensive. Maybe worth it, but who knows. We'll have to wait and see.

The CM9 is exactly the same size as the PM9 and price competitive with the cheaper guns.

I think all this size comparison business is an exercise in futility. I want one period, no matter how it compares to this, that, and the other thing. :)

I'm very intersted in this gun, looks like a great addition to my carry rotation: slightly smaller than my .40 PPS but in a major caliber, and larger than the .380 pocket rockets. Cool design, metal frame (for once) and reasonable price point? I'm in for one as soon as I can find one.

Posted from my car phone.

I agree, although I'm not planning to give up my S&W 3rd generation semi auto anytime soon. That's assuming it ever gets MA approval and the "MA premium" doesn't drive the price up too much.

I'm very intersted in this gun, looks like a great addition to my carry rotation: slightly smaller than my .40 PPS but in a major caliber, and larger than the .380 pocket rockets. Cool design, metal frame (for once) and reasonable price point? I'm in for one as soon as I can find one.

Posted from my car phone.

I'm definitely interested in this one. Maybe head out to my dealer tomorrow and put my order in for Feb.

It will probably have the 12 pound trigger for Mass. Better to throw it at someone than try and shoot them.

Have emailed off inquiring about 6 of them

Reserve yours now :)

Any idea on the street price? With an MSRP of $389 I'd assume the street price would be around $325-$350.

Also, wasn't Remington on the "naughty" list? If so, I don't remember why so can someone link to or point out why?

Reminds me of a Mak meets a new PPK.

I don't know, it's funny that Remington beat Glock to the single stack 9mm [laugh]

But I'm glad Remington is back into the handguns again. Hopefully it kicks the Shield off the market which I'm sure it will.

As a MA resident, I wait to see what it takes to get a decent trigger on this one. It costs $75 for a shield and I have a quote for $175 for a PPS from the ONE smith who will touch it.

A gunsmith would have to pay me $175 to modify one of my Walthers.

- - - Updated - - -

I deleted that comparison image because I don't believe the measurements were accurate. It is best to not spread it until people can really measure all of the guns.

Trebor - thanks for the honesty. Your rough drawings were enough to get me very interested in this one. Like previously mentioned, the low bore axis and small slide size may make this an acceptable pocket pistol. I can and have carried my LC9 in a pocket holster (LLBean slacks). Its a touch larger than I like. This might well take its place.
I'll be honest...the old-school appearance has an appeal to me as well. The original M51 is on my list to go with my 1903's.

Aloha

Last edited:
magazine disconnect

i loathe that ****ing feature

And I like it. It's a matter of personal choice. The magazine disconnect can be disabled, although I don't know if that can be done in the field or requires a trip to the factory. Since I don't care, I'm not interested in investigating the matter.

... But I'm glad Remington is back into the handguns again. Hopefully it kicks the Shield off the market which I'm sure it will.

Or starts a price war, helping everyone.

magazine disconnect

i loathe that ****ing feature

No kidding. That is a show-stopper right there. Or is that "game-changer"? Anyhow, if that is part of it, I want no part of it.

... I deleted that comparison image because I don't believe the measurements were accurate. It is best to not spread it until people can really measure all of the guns.

Serious? The one I have up above here? I thought those were "real". Should I also delete it, so people are not misinformed?

There's a lot of pretty things about it, and I'd certainly consider carrying one...If it wasn't a 7+1 piece from a company that just balked at moving jobs from a state that just put a 7rd restriction on magazines.

Besides, if I wanted to get a non-MA-compliant compact, the Boberg XR45 is in pre-order.

Reminds me of a Mak meets a new PPK.

I don't know, it's funny that Remington beat Glock to the single stack 9mm [laugh]

But I'm glad Remington is back into the handguns again. Hopefully it kicks the Shield off the market which I'm sure it will.

It won't. It'll make Ruger look pretty stupid though. If this gun turns out well enough Ruger will never sell another LC9.... this is quite obviously the target market for this gun. It won't supplant the Shield because there will be a lot of M&P fanboi types who will still be buying that, no matter what. This Remington offering is pointed directly at the LC9 buyer. [laugh]

I haven't jumped at any compacts yet. In no rush. Not into the shield's external safety, so R51 got it right there.

I had no idea this thing was announced, and after just seeing it I looked up info on it. I have a question though, with a newly released gun like this in the past, how long did it take to get onto the approved roster/be sold by FFLs in Massachusetts? Doesn't have to be specific, I'm just curious if I might be able to buy one in 6 months or 5 years.

If Remington puts it on the roster figure about a year out from that time, The configuration does not look promising for CMR940 bullshit, though. (it looks striker fired, and even with the grip safety that doesn't bode well for compliance, unless Remington ****s up the trigger by putting a heavy spring in it or something.) Frankly if you want one you're better off not caring about whether or not its compliant, and keeping your nose to the ground and looking for one. They will be here, whether Marsha likes it or not.

-Mike

If Remington puts it on the roster figure about a year out from that time, The configuration does not look promising for CMR940 bullshit, though. (it looks striker fired, and even with the grip safety that doesn't bode well for compliance, unless Remington ****s up the trigger by putting a heavy spring in it or something.) Frankly if you want one you're better off not caring about whether or not its compliant, and keeping your nose to the ground and looking for one. They will be here, whether Marsha likes it or not.

-Mike

It has an internal hammer and therefore is always SAO. Which means it will shoot very nice because the trigger is nice. Unlike the LC9.

Back
Top Bottom