Remington R51

Do the same comparison to a PM9 or CM9. A good bit smaller and very shootable IMHO.
The Kahr is not in the running for me. I have a policy of not selling my guns, but I sold my Kahr. It looked fragile on the top of the frame (the plastic had some fray on the top of the frame) and the trigger was unpleasant due to the length of travel being so long that my trigger finger would come back and collide with the rest of my hand.

While I have a Nano, the Shield seems to be the standard / best of its class - so that is what I would compare the R51 to.

Last edited:
The Remington R51

I had no idea this thing was announced, and after just seeing it I looked up info on it. I have a question though, with a newly released gun like this in the past, how long did it take to get onto the approved roster/be sold by FFLs in Massachusetts? Doesn't have to be specific, I'm just curious if I might be able to buy one in 6 months or 5 years.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2014/01/02/first-look-remington-r51-sub-compact-pistol/

Remington_R51_ultimate_defense_F.jpg

Lists the release date as February 2014 for the states without the BS.

I think they missed the mark in that it is really too big to be a pocket pistol:

How does it compare in size to an SR9 or M&P?

Those dimensions are almost identical to an M&P shield, which would make it a lot smaller than an SR9 or M&P full size and a lot thinner than an SR9C or M&P9C.

OK. Thanks for that. Are those considered "pocket pistols"?

This was never really intended to be a pocket pistol, it's something designed to poke at the LC9/Shield/PPS/etc. If it's thin enough it will do well.

Hmmm. Good observation. Is that written somewhere, or just your opinion/guess? Sounds reasonable enough.

It looks like Buck Rogers tried to update a Markarov pistol,

Funny. I was thinking of the old ray guns also, and when someone mentioned Makarov, that also made sense.
AstroBoyRayGun.JPG

Ray_Gun_09.jpg8b296f04-b0ac-4fa4-98e7-34a6cdc0042cLarge.jpg

raygun_side_2.jpgfff8a6ed-60d5-4eaf-a72b-744ca47b28a9Large.jpg

Um, no. Look how small it is compared to a Walther PPS (about the smallest a 9mm can be and be shootable). And look how much lower the bore-axes is:

You can't make a 9mm any smaller than this, be able to get a good grip on it, and have it last and not shoot itself apart.

What I want is a pistol the size of an HK P7 with the same benefits (good trigger and accurate) but 1/2 a lb lighter. HK could make a plastic-frame P7 but have not done so. This may be that pistol.
Also good points.

Do the same comparison to a PM9 or CM9. A good bit smaller and very shootable IMHO.
Another good point.

Both great guns, but neither are in the same price class as this gun is. This is more like Remington saying "Hey the LC9 was wicked popular, but a huge piece of shit, we can make something that occupies that market segment that probaby sucks WAY less, for about the same amount of money."
Again, I agree.

Bud's has CM9's listed for sub $400, so pricewise they are in the same ball park. I think the PM/CM platforms have not been matched or beaten by anyone in the category. I believe they are the standard by which others should be measured. Sure the others sell lots of guns. Good to great guns at that. But if you talking about a true pocket pistol, Kahr has yet to be beat.

The Kel-Tec 9mm is also a contender, though quality is a bit lower MAYBE. The old S&W CS9 is nice, too.

Last edited:
It's easier to get medical devices approved by the FDA than it is for handguns to be approved by MA. I would say another 15 years before you guys see the neutered version with a 27 pound trigger.

From the article,

I think this is intended for the emerging "want a gun for self defense, but not really a gunnie" market. In which case, a .380 would be a natural provided that the locking mechanism can be cycled by .380. Which it should since the original R-51 was made in .380 and .32.

They dehorned it, so there are no sharp edges to catch on anything. That would make it a natural as a pocket pistol. Remington took a similar approach to this as S&W did to the Shield. They brought in holster and laser manufacturers early enough in the development process that holsters and lasers are already in production and will available when the guns hit the stores. Good move.

I didn't see a mention of what the frame is made of, but at that price point, I'd have to guess polymer.

I wonder what they'll have to do to it to make it MA compliant? Trigger pull at the least.

- - - Updated - - -

But, not in .40 I'd guess.

No polymer from one link I saw, all metal. Aluminum and steel.

http://www.gunblast.com/Remington-R51.htm

The Kahr is not in the running for me. I have a policy of not selling my guns, but I sold my Kahr. It looked fragile on the top of the frame (the plastic had some fray on the top of the frame) and the trigger was unpleasant due to the length of travel being so long that my trigger finger would come back and collide with the rest of my hand.

While I have a Nano, the Shield seems to be the standard / best of its class - so that is what I would compare the R51 to.

Meh. I have about 1000 rounds through my PM9 and the frame rails look fine.

I wouldn't consider a Shield a pocket pistol because you can't put it in your pocket.

A pocket pistol would be like an LCP 380. There are some 9mm pocket pistols, like the:

http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/

But it is unclear that it would last much past 1000 rounds and would be painful to shoot. From my experience, the Nano, Shield, and this R51 is the smallest that I want a full power 9mm to be. If I wanted smaller and lighter than that, then I look into a 380 like the LCP or whatever the KelTec is called.

Meh. I have about 1000 rounds through my PM9 and the frame rails look fine.
It had fibers coming out of it when new. I didn't mean to say that it was getting worse. The plastic just seemed soft and without the solid look of the Nano.

Very interesting to see a pistol that uses a different operating system.

The Beretta Cougar, with rotary barrel, is the gun which started me on this "path". I had a nice set in my hands, with 2 15 round mags and wooden case, and two days later, I could not get it due to Chapter 180. After that, I started paying more attention. I actually was paying attention then, but thought someone else was going to protest (gun industry). They dropped the ball, and the rest is history. Here we are.

Haven't heard much about the Cougar. I hear it was very accurate, and had lower recoil than conventional style guns.

The Beretta Cougar, with rotary barrel, is the gun which started me on this "path". I had a nice set in my hands, with 2 15 round mags and wooden case, and two days later, I could not get it due to Chapter 180. After that, I started paying more attention. I actually was paying attention then, but thought someone else was going to protest (gun industry). They dropped the ball, and the rest is history. Here we are.

Haven't heard much about the Cougar. I hear it was very accurate, and had lower recoil than conventional style guns.

I had the cougar in 45. It was nice, but if I shot that back to back with a gun that didn't have a rotating barrel I don't think I would've honestly been able to tell them apart based on that alone.

Dumb ass. Trying to multi-task and failing...

I meant the R51 and the LC9.

Aloha

LC9: 6.0 x 0.9 x 4.5, 17.1 oz.
R51: 6.0 x 0.96 x 4.5, 20 oz.

I have an LC9 -- probably the dumbest firearm purchase I ever made. It's a great size for carry with the worst trigger imaginable. It has this crazy long reset with a bonus false-reset along the way that has to be experienced to truly believe. The market needs more nice single-stack nines that are easy to carry. The PPS is a great option, but I actually find the Glock 26 easier to carry and conceal. The idea of a solid little 9mm that shoots well for under $400 is pretty neat. Hopefully Remington delivers.

yup. im pretty excited for this remington... already looking for a place to pic one up..

on a side note.. guess the glock 42 and 41 are for sale at the Firing Line in Michigan.. got sold out the same day they arrived.. looks like they are being delivered to stores early

yup. im pretty excited for this remington... already looking for a place to pic one up..

on a side note.. guess the glock 42 and 41 are for sale at the Firing Line in Michigan.. got sold out the same day they arrived.. looks like they are being delivered to stores early

ntomsw approved.

One thing to consider with the Remington is that the basic dimensions don't always tell the whole story with how it fits in a pocket. The low bore axis and narrow (top to bottom) slide/dust cover could help a lot with fitting in a pocket. I also immediately looked at it and thought the way the rear of the slide and sight are radiuses in lame because it reduces the sight radius. However, that could also help it fit in a pocket. Same goes for the short distance from the bottom of the trigger guard to the top of the slide.

Anyway, I don't think I'm going to sell my PM9 in favor of this, but it's very interesting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom