Remington Plans to Restart Production in March

Remington Ammo went to Vista Outdoors, Remington Firearms to Roundhill Group. Since Vista already has a couple ammo labels, I'd doubt they'd let the Remington plant sit idle if they could at all avoid it.

Complete list: Remington Arms Split Up and Sold [Details Here]
VISTA got a killer deal on Remington ammo. Letting it sit would be a stupid move.

They are going to get thst up and running ASAP. If it sells the same amount as Remington was selling, it will pay for the investment in a year, maybe less.

I have two Remingtons, a 700 BDL in .308 and an 11-87 12 gauge.

The 700 belonged to my friend Ted, he hunted with it for years and gave it to me. I have no idea when it was manufactured, he'd had it for probably 20 or 30 years, and I've had it for the last ten or so. It's more accurate than I am, bolt is smooth, trigger is nice. I shoot a lot with pistols, little with rifles, but this doesn't seem like a junk gun to me.

The shotgun is the "police" model; it's the first shotgun I bought. It does everything adequately, nothing excellently. I have a CZ Drake under/over in 20 GA that I like a lot more for skeet/trap/sporting clays. I've got a Mossberg JM 930 for three gun that's much easier to shoot, and I've got a Mossberg 500 pistol grip pump for home defense. That being said, the 11-87 isn't a "bad" shotgun - I've had no issues with it - and it lives in CT in case I'm up there and didn't bring my other shotguns with me...

Yup that's the weird thing.... its like let's restart production at the plant that essentially ruined this shotguns reputation with the same people...
never worked in a union environment i'm going to guess...it's not the union building a sub par product. i'm also gonna guess you guys think miners are sitting at the assembly tables and working in qc. makes no difference what union represents the employees, the union, any union, never gets involved in operations unless safety is involved. the union umbrella that the employees enjoy breeds carelessness, poor quality and lazyness. it's an environment where the candidate for an open job doesn't go to the best qualified but to the most senior. i was union at my last job. i only saw 2 people fired in 10 years...for fighting on the job. the few others who were terminated were brought back after going to arbitration. one guy 6 times fired, 6 times brought back...with back pay. the atmosphere always was "good enough."

never worked in a union environment i'm going to guess...it's not the union building a sub par product. i'm also gonna guess you guys think miners are sitting at the assembly tables and working in qc. makes no difference what union represents the employees, the union, any union, never gets involved in operations unless safety is involved. the union umbrella that the employees enjoy breeds carelessness, poor quality and lazyness. it's an environment where the candidate for an open job doesn't go to the best qualified but to the most senior. i was union at my last job. i only saw 2 people fired in 10 years...for fighting on the job. the few others who were terminated were brought back after going to arbitration. one guy 6 times fired, 6 times brought back...with back pay. the atmosphere always was "good enough."
Unions in my experience suck.. I have had multiple issues on jobs it's with union guys. I'm not associated with them. But now it's just extortion. As someone who understands the history I understand why they happened. And what the brought the work force.

However now they've swung the other way. 103 is the on I used to run into a lot. First off if your not union and working there the whole site will threaten to leave. They'll steal your tools slash your tires fight you all that stuff happened to people I know... apparently kicking someone in the head your first day gives you a bit of a reputation. So I never caught shit.

Then the rates are astronomically higher for union work. The quality is mediocre and they have guys for every specific job... they have guys that run wire only or terminate data Jack's only or terminate patch panels only. So now your talking about 2 to 3 times times required labor force for jobs at higher rates...

I've heard bad things about pretty much every union as well... teachers... police etc etc.

So I can't specifically say negative things about remingtons union. But when you know your getting the same percentage raise every year regardless of performance. It's incredibly hard to fire you as long as you show up and are sober and don't do anything severely retarded.

That environment breeds mediocre work

apparently kicking someone in the head your first day gives you a bit of a reputation. So I never caught shit.
you're a lucky guy. my union was a no name union but you kicked one of us in the head you wouldn't have lived the day out. and that's gospel truth.

you're a lucky guy. my union was a no name union but you kicked one of us in the head you wouldn't have lived the day out. and that's gospel truth.
Yeah well that d head deserved it... shook a ladder when I was on the top rung... yeah I know I shouldn't have been up there but he shook It good and hard when I was above a ceiling... he then caught a boot square in the nose.

Unions in my experience suck.. I have had multiple issues on jobs it's with union guys. I'm not associated with them. But now it's just extortion. As someone who understands the history I understand why they happened. And what the brought the work force.

However now they've swung the other way. 103 is the on I used to run into a lot. First off if your not union and working there the whole site will threaten to leave. They'll steal your tools slash your tires fight you all that stuff happened to people I know... apparently kicking someone in the head your first day gives you a bit of a reputation. So I never caught shit.

Then the rates are astronomically higher for union work. The quality is mediocre and they have guys for every specific job... they have guys that run wire only or terminate data Jack's only or terminate patch panels only. So now your talking about 2 to 3 times times required labor force for jobs at higher rates...

I've heard bad things about pretty much every union as well... teachers... police etc etc.

So I can't specifically say negative things about remingtons union. But when you know your getting the same percentage raise every year regardless of performance. It's incredibly hard to fire you as long as you show up and are sober and don't do anything severely retarded.

That environment breeds mediocre work

Depends on the state. In right to work states unions do what they are supposed to do because they have to compete. A lot of the problems with organized labor is because the unions got too big and consolidated into each other to the point of being a management cartel. Trade unions some place like Florida are way different than in MA. You probably want to use union labor in FL to get a better product and have more complete & organized bids.

Depends on the state. In right to work states unions do what they are supposed to do because they have to compete. A lot of the problems with organized labor is because the unions got to big and consolidated into each other to the point of being a management cartel.
Yeah I mean I'm sure there are ones people don't hate lol.. I've just personally never had a good experience with them

Yeah I mean I'm sure there are ones people don't hate lol.. I've just personally never had a good experience with them
I haven't either in the Northeast to the point of having guys waiting at my front door as I left to go to work standing around reading the newspaper and drinking coffee to say "Good morning" to me each day for a few weeks as a "subtle we know where you live and could f-ck with you if we wanted to".

I haven't either in the Northeast to the point of having guys waiting at my front door as I left to go to work standing around reading the newspaper and drinking coffee to say "Good morning" to me each day for a few weeks as a "subtle we know where you live and could f-ck with you if we wanted to".
Yup lol...

So they are staying in NY and coming out with an ancient mode of their shotgun ? Wtf. They deserve to go out of business again.

What people want is a 70 year old design shotgun. Remington has been dead for awhile. It while be just like High Standard and a bunch of others. The damage has been done.
How can you possibly knock the 870 shotgun? Remington could probably survive on 870 shotguns alone. Thing is iconic and still completely relevant and useful.

A reformed and much smaller Remington is slowly moving towards restarting its historic production line in New York, with plans for the 870shotgun to be its first product.

As previously reported, the new RemArms Company has recently received its federal firearms license and rehiring laid-off workers at Remington's flagship Ilion, New York, plant. According to local media, the new company with the oldest name in American firearms has had office staff at work for the past two weeks, with maintenance staff and line workers still expected to be coming in over the next month.

The goal, according to Richmond Italia, RemArms CEO, is to have finished product coming off the assembly line by March 5.

“We’re trying to push the schedule as fast as we can, so obviously everybody was ready to come to work, and we figured, you know what, give them a couple of extra weeks to get everything back together again,” said Italia.

While there are reports of labor issues with the facility – when the shop was up and running last year it had long been unionized – Cecil Roberts, president of the United Mine Workers of America, said there are currently no plans to strike at the Ilion plant.

“No one wants to see that plant reopen, and reopen as fast as possible, more than the UMWA and the people we represent,” said Roberts.

RemArms was formed last year from a slice of the old Remington Outdoors Company that was auctioned away in a federal bankruptcy court last September. While other elements of the brand went to Vista Outdoors, Ruger, Sierra, and others, the Ilion plant and a pistol barrel facility in Tennessee were acquired by Italia's Roundhill Group for approximately $13 million.

As noted by Shooting Illustrated, the Italia said the 870, Remington's immensely popular pump-action shotgun, which first entered production in 1950, will be the first gun off the line in 2021.

Sounds like good news to me

Not sure if you seen what's going on this year and back into 2020.... there are literally lines of people willing to give up a kidney for a f***ing pump-action shotgun right now.....
Maybe. But I think by the time they get going the demand will have eased and supply up. Its already happening.

Im seeing turkish guns of all sorts of names fill the void, and mossbergs coming back into the market. Way overpriced mind you, but if they sit on shelves that will take care of itself.
But for the first time in a while im seeing short barrel tac shotguns in the dealer rack.

Maybe. But I think by the time they get going the demand will have eased and supply up. Its already happening.

Im seeing turkish guns of all sorts of names fill the void, and mossbergs coming back into the market. Way overpriced mind you, but if they sit on shelves that will take care of itself.
But for the first time in a while im seeing short barrel tac shotguns in the dealer rack.

I went to 2 local gun stores yesterday and they had plenty of guns on the shelf. Lots of rifles, pistols, shotguns, you name it. Definitely a change from last time I was there.

Ammo was still scarce and priced through the stratosphere, though.

Lack of ammo is really the only valving/braking mechanism of gun sales at this point. If there was more 00 buck or slugs in the channels, those guns would be long gone.

Lack of ammo is really the only valving/braking mechanism of gun sales at this point. If there was more 00 buck or slugs in the channels, those guns would be long gone.
Part of it. But if you were the first time guy looking for that HD shotty forever and couldnt find it. Lack of ammo isnt going to keep you from buying it. Your gonna buy it now that its on the shelf. I say the demand from that group is down and mostly satisfied. And its now into the tiers that wont buy a Mossberg shitter for 600 dollars that once sold for 199.

Especially a 12 gauge. Ammo is not non existent.

I see 4 shot maxed out 3 inch turkey loads and bb size geese loads fairly available last time i was at WM and Cabela’s and though its not buckshot or slugs, it would work enough close range I would use it in a pinch rather than using your bare hands.

Hell I even saw buckshot and slugs, retarded prices but available.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom