Remington Plans to Restart Production in March

mikeyp

NES Member

A reformed and much smaller Remington is slowly moving towards restarting its historic production line in New York, with plans for the 870 shotgun to be its first product.

As previously reported, the new RemArms Company has recently received its federal firearms license and rehiring laid-off workers at Remington's flagship Ilion, New York, plant. According to local media, the new company with the oldest name in American firearms has had office staff at work for the past two weeks, with maintenance staff and line workers still expected to be coming in over the next month.

The goal, according to Richmond Italia, RemArms CEO, is to have finished product coming off the assembly line by March 5.

“We’re trying to push the schedule as fast as we can, so obviously everybody was ready to come to work, and we figured, you know what, give them a couple of extra weeks to get everything back together again,” said Italia.

While there are reports of labor issues with the facility – when the shop was up and running last year it had long been unionized – Cecil Roberts, president of the United Mine Workers of America, said there are currently no plans to strike at the Ilion plant.

“No one wants to see that plant reopen, and reopen as fast as possible, more than the UMWA and the people we represent,” said Roberts.

RemArms was formed last year from a slice of the old Remington Outdoors Company that was auctioned away in a federal bankruptcy court last September. While other elements of the brand went to Vista Outdoors, Ruger, Sierra, and others, the Ilion plant and a pistol barrel facility in Tennessee were acquired by Italia's Roundhill Group for approximately $13 million.

As noted by Shooting Illustrated, the Italia said the 870, Remington's immensely popular pump-action shotgun, which first entered production in 1950, will be the first gun off the line in 2021.

What people want is a 70 year old design shotgun. Remington has been dead for awhile. It while be just like High Standard and a bunch of others. The damage has been done.

Does anyone else find it odd that their guns are being built by members of the United Mine Workers of America union ???
Maybe that's why their guns have sucked so bad over the last decade.
I think the quality would improve immensely if their workers were members of a Machinists union.

What people want is a 70 year old design shotgun. Remington has been dead for awhile. It while be just like High Standard and a bunch of others. The damage has been done.
Not sure if you seen what's going on this year and back into 2020.... there are literally lines of people willing to give up a kidney for a f***ing pump-action shotgun right now.....

the big question from a consumer point of view is QUALITY CONTROL. if they really clamp down on any defects, and only let excellent shotguns out the door, they will be popular. So the quality control group there has to be very strong!

Management's job is to do that AND make a profit at a reasonable sales price

we shall see

so glad the 870 is coming back. quality, only the old timers remember the remington quality of the past. newbies, not so much, like being blind from birth...you don't know nothing else. and i remember a time you wouldn't touch a mossberg or high standard unless you were the supreme skinflint or couldn't find a remington you were after. even winchesters modern pumps were 2nd best. so yeah, will be interesting what they'll do with this second chance.

Side point when I worked at GE our union was affiliated with the same union that represented Verizon workers Communication Workers of America and we were building jet engines.

We'll see. Remington was sold off in 8 chunks I believe. The Remington Arms (non-Marlins) was bought by the Roundhill Group. A property investment group that buys and sells exactly that, property. Their firearm building knowledge is zero. My guess is this is a short term investment that they hope to flip in under 6 years.

I’m not a fan of the Cerberus time period stuff. They made absolutely nothing in the past 15 years or so, that I would’ve want. Not even Remoil. Not even a fuggin cleaning kit. But right now, I’d settle for a $350 case of Remington 55 gr.
Anyway, if I wanted a shotgun (which is not the case because I SUCK with them), I’d save my pennies and get a Benelli. And for a rifle, I’d rather build one from scratch than to get a 700. But as long as there’s Bergara, Tikka, Sako, Christensen, GAP. Surgeon and a bunch of others, I don’t see anyone with a clue who isn’t a complete fudd going for a Remington 700.

We'll see. Remington was sold off in 8 chunks I believe. The Remington Arms (non-Marlins) was bought by the Roundhill Group. A property investment group that buys and sells exactly that, property. Their firearm building knowledge is zero. My guess is this is a short term investment that they hope to flip in under 6 years.

That might happen but it's not the classic flipping play. Roundhill didn't buy the whole company so there aren't a bunch of pieces to sell off to recoup the investment leaving an empty shell. The bankruptcy court already did the stripping. To flip what they bought for a profit will require creating value in the meantime.

Round Hill is actually not the real estate group it was reported initially. Case of two companies with the same name. The owner of Round Hill which bought Remington does have firearms experience.

Back when the 870 came out after World War Two it was a cheep way to make a shotgun. It was not made out of forgings, finely machined parts like a Winchester Model 12, Ithaca 37 and the likes. Because of new gun owners and panic buying people will buy anything and pay too much for it, and for ammo also. Two years ago most of what I see left in local gun shops is ether crap or way over priced. And most of it you would walk away from. I own several 870s all made 40+ years ago.

I'm not into shotguns but it seems like you really gotta go out of your way to screw up a basic pump action. I don't see the reason for the hate - 870s included, as well as the even cheaper $200 budget stuff, all seem to reliably cycle plastic shells and put holes in shit with precisely the accuracy expected from a smooth bore :)

I guess when you get into an overbuilt version like the 590/870 police/military upgrades they are a little nicer, might hold up better to say getting thrown out a 2nd story window if that's your jam, but what I would object to more than a $300 870 is a $1000 model which is basically filling the same role.

I’m not a fan of the Cerberus time period stuff. They made absolutely nothing in the past 15 years or so, that I would’ve want. Not even Remoil. Not even a fuggin cleaning kit. But right now, I’d settle for a $350 case of Remington 55 gr.
Anyway, if I wanted a shotgun (which is not the case because I SUCK with them), I’d save my pennies and get a Benelli. And for a rifle, I’d rather build one from scratch than to get a 700. But as long as there’s Bergara, Tikka, Sako, Christensen, GAP. Surgeon and a bunch of others, I don’t see anyone with a clue who isn’t a complete fudd going for a Remington 700.

I’ve had 2 less than perfect 700 rifles- a 700P in .223 that I could not get under an inch with any load I tried and a 700 ADL youth model in .243 that shot 3” groups with several factory loads. I worked up loads on that rifle and got it to shoot 5 shots into a dime. Both my boys learned to deer hunt with that gun. Sold them both to my neighbor in PA.

I’d put the rest of my fuddy 700 LTRs, 700Ps and 700 Varmint (mounted in good stocks) rifles up against any off the shelf rifles on the market. All are older guns. With quality ammunition they all shoot < 1MOA. With hand loads, they are lasers.

You need to go out more. In the last decade and a half, you hear A LOT of complaints about the 700. From out of whack scope base mounting holes to inaccurate barrels, and then some. In today’s day and age, and the existing production methods, that’s simply not acceptable. The only reason why most long range people would buy a 700 was because of the huge aftermarket for the SA. That is also the reason why there’s so many 700 clones out there. It’s just that companies who make them have some actual quality control, something that seemed to be nothing but an afterthought at Cerberingrown. Hell, the Bergaras are 700 clones that come in at the same price point than a Sendero, except that it comes with an usable stock. Ever worked a Tikka t3x action? Same price as the 700P, but it’s like wiping your ass with a piece of silk. I’m not even going into the GAP/surgeon thing. Wouldn’t be fair to compare off the shelf mass production rifles with semi customs.
My bottom line is, Remies have been low mid tier for a long time, and there’s a lot of competition in that segment, and they all put out a decent product, so Remington better pull their finger out of the butt if they want to sell guns.

Does anyone else find it odd that their guns are being built by members of the United Mine Workers of America union ???
Maybe that's why their guns have sucked so bad over the last decade.
I think the quality would improve immensely if their workers were members of a Machinists union.
Yup that's the weird thing.... its like let's restart production at the plant that essentially ruined this shotguns reputation with the same people...

You need to go out more. In the last decade and a half, you hear A LOT of complaints about the 700. From out of whack scope base mounting holes to inaccurate barrels, and then some. In today’s day and age, and the existing production methods, that’s simply not acceptable. The only reason why most long range people would buy a 700 was because of the huge aftermarket for the SA. That is also the reason why there’s so many 700 clones out there. It’s just that companies who make them have some actual quality control, something that seemed to be nothing but an afterthought at Cerberingrown. Hell, the Bergaras are 700 clones that come in at the same price point than a Sendero, except that it comes with an usable stock. Ever worked a Tikka t3x action? Same price as the 700P, but it’s like wiping your ass with a piece of silk. I’m not even going into the GAP/surgeon thing. Wouldn’t be fair to compare off the shelf mass production rifles with semi customs.
My bottom line is, Remies have been low mid tier for a long time, and there’s a lot of competition in that segment, and they all put out a decent product, so Remington better pull their finger out of the butt if they want to sell guns.

So I think the big box store f***ed up their qc and image. I think the cheaply bedded plastic stocks and Meh 3x9s they stick on them to compete with savage formerly at dicks and Walmart did a number on the brand reputation.

A remington 700 in a nice wood stock properly bedded or a 700 tactical is a good rifle. Just mass production and sales won over quality for the cheap versions

I have a "tactical" 870 that I bought from a member here a year and a half ago...seems to be very reliable. I don't know it's actual age but it's certainly not "vintage". According to the 870 forum, about the only thing they recommend changing out is the follower and maybe the extractor.

Not for nothing but I assume a plethora of major brands (remington and the like) not producing anything right now contributes partially to gun prices and availability.

Lets hope they bring back the metal finishing and quality woodwork from the old tmey 870s. You know, those high polish blue wingmasters with the high gloss checkered walnut stocks. Also, id be down for a marine magnum. Always those were cool. I'm glad that production is restarting at the NY plant utilizing laid off workers from that plant. They should stick with what they do best. 870s and 700s. Most of their recent new product lines were utter dogshit. They should ditch the mining union though. Edit: looks like they have both shiny, old school wingmasters and marine magnums on the production schedule. NICE.

Last edited:
Cuomo is going to have every truck leaving the plant stopped, searched, driver arrested for illegal possession of unregistered firearms, illegal high capacity ammunition feeding devices and whatever else they can think of.
The company should just leave NY entirely.

Remington used to make Primers.....anyone know if Remington retained that or if it was auctioned off to another company?

If that facility was put back into production it would go a long way towards alleviating some of the pain......a lot more than the fooking 870 model shotty

Remington Ammo went to Vista Outdoors, Remington Firearms to Roundhill Group. Since Vista already has a couple ammo labels, I'd doubt they'd let the Remington plant sit idle if they could at all avoid it.

Complete list: Remington Arms Split Up and Sold [Details Here]

How old the design is doesn't mean sh*t. If it works, it works.

How old is the AK? 70? And it still works and takes over countries.

How old is the 10/22?
The AR?
1911?
Sharps?
Lever actions?

If you look at the gun world, there hasn't been a ton of innovation in the past few decades. Maybe there have been new materials, lighter barrels, new scopes and rails... but the basic mechanism remains almost unchanged.

Back
Top Bottom