• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Remington Nylon 66 scope suggestion

i borrowed a Remington Nylon 66 (Black Apache) from a family member and took it shooting with me yesterday to try it and make sure it works since it's been sitting idle for a long time...this one isn't in perfect condition but i guess these go for pretty decent money in today's used market cause they are highly collectible...anyway it worked pretty well but i am not a fan of the open sights...very hard to operate so i am looking at putting a decent scope on it...the only other thing i am not a fan of is loading the rounds into the stock while my buddy is sitting next to me popping mags into his 10/22...initially i was looking at picking up a 10/22 but i figured why bother if we already have this rifle in the family that i can use whenever i want...then i can spend my money on a higher caliber rifle down the road [smile] ...anyway i was looking at picking up the scope below since it isn't too expensive and seems to have pretty good reviews...anyone have any other suggestions?...i figure if i ever decide to get another 22 rifle i can just take the scope and mount it on the new rifle...there is also another 22 single shot bolt rifle floating around in the family somewhere and there is also an old winchester (22 short) bolt rifle from 1899 that i have seen but i wouldn't consider either of these 2 to be much fun at the range

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tasco-3-9-x-50-Rifle-Scope-with-Rings-Black/21270188

348FEFD0-361E-4A0E-B779-75517B174B69_zpsxnsiwprx.jpg

Last edited:
You're going to need to install a rail or get a different scope. If I am not mistaken, that rifle has dovetail mounts. The scope you selected doesn't fit on a dovetail mount without an adapter.

thanks...i'm not too sure what dovetail mounts look like but i think you're right after googling the rail types...here is a photo of a nylon 66 rail...would this scope work? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bushnell-Optics-Special-3-9x-32mm-Rimfire-Riflescope-Matte-Black/20864188

or could i just buy a set of these rings for the scope in the first post?...if i end up with another 22 rifle i should be all set with the extra set of rings that came with it...
http://www.safariland.com/scope-rings/1in-x-3-8in-.22-caliber-dovetail-scope-ring-14460.html#start=1

59Nylon-66_005_zpsefa94054.jpg

Last edited:
found a set of 1" rings that will work...temporarily out of stock on amazon but i'll just order them...searched some reviews for nylon 66 and this guy says that these rings work on his nylon 66...i was going to look for a dovetail to picatinny conversion but due to the curved top of the rail some of this style mounts may not work due to their shallow vertical clamp depth and i would hate to buy the wrong one...now i just need to pick a decent 1" scope for it...

reviewer
http://www.amazon.com/review/R3UNPZ1N40QMOW/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_alt_1

rings
http://www.amazon.com/Redfield-22-See-Thru-Dovetail-Rings/dp/B004U4H6EK/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_1

Last edited:
3-9x is pretty serious magnification for .22 rimfire, but you certainly need to go with your gut preference. I still have the Nylon 66 that my dad bought for me as my first gun more than 40 years ago. Back then, my sister bought me a straight 4x Ted Williams scope. On my hot rod 10/22, I have installed a 1-4x Leupold. The 1-4x seems about right for .22 LR and my eyes.

3-9x is pretty serious magnification for .22 rimfire, but you certainly need to go with your gut preference. I still have the Nylon 66 that my dad bought for me as my first gun more than 40 years ago. Back then, my sister bought me a straight 4x Ted Williams scope. On my hot rod 10/22, I have installed a 1-4x Leupold. The 1-4x seems about right for .22 LR and my eyes.

good to know, thanks...i already ordered it so i guess i'll see how i like it...at the moment for long guns i only have a break barrel shotgun and a carcano both of which i inherited from my grandfather...i'm not going to bother scoping the carcano cause ammo is too much of a pain to try and find...this nylon is my other grandfathers and i can use it whenever i want and i will probably inherit this one as well...i see myself owning one .22 and i'd like to own something that has a little more available ammo...after doing some research on here and elsewhere it seems like the AR platform is the way to go since ammo is readily available and it seems to be a reliable platform that has many options...i figure if i put a scope on the nylon and don't like the rifle i can keep the scope and put it on the AR or put it on another .22 rifle (which will probably be a 10/22)...i haven't experienced a red dot scope yet but i will probably check one of those out too to see what works best for my eyes...i have an astigmatism in my right eye and i'm right handed so i'll take all the magnification i can get...i figured a scope would be better for me than a red dot since the red dot scopes don't seem to have magnification until you get into the higher end ones

When I see someone with a Nylon 66, I think "That guy must be a hot shit".

Any fool can have a 10/22.

Disclosure: I have a half-dozen Nylons.

The nylon models have a cult like following your model along with the mohawk brown model are the most common. They can fetch a good amount but most that collect them want the box and papers also. There are a few 66 models that are more collectible like the Seneca Green and the gallery model. they where made for 30 years or so. I sold of my 3 to fund other projects about 5 years ago when prices really seemed to peak. All three went to guys in there 60s looking to rebuild some of the guns from the past collections. I did well on them. All where above the average 22 in the same price range in accuracy.
Like a few mentioned the 4x scope was the norm for these. I put a 3x9 compact on one of them and it was fine. Good rings go a long way to help with less expensive scopes.

WARNING the rail on the nylon 66 is just a stamped steel cover over the plastic receiver. Its easy to over tighten and distort the rail with the rings. This is also why it can be challenging to zero a scope on a 66. Some times that slip cover shifts around.

If you have not found it it http://nylonrifles.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=4

Im on the look out for the lever action nylon 76

Last edited:
Just buy a scope made for a .22 rimfire. They have mounts that will fit the 3/8" ridge that's on top of most .22s.

This. Just get the classic 4x for this old model, and keep it to the original intent.

What is the equivalent to this nowadays, the 597?

Does the 66 have a magazine, or a tube feed? Somehow, I think I remember a tube feed. I always thought the ones that feed from the back were cool. That way, you can feed them like a shotgun.

Here's another:
Bushnell 4 x 32 Multi-X Rimfire Scope, Black Matte

Last edited:
This. Just get the classic 4x for this old model, and keep it to the original intent.

What is the equivalent to this nowadays, the 597?

Does the 66 have a magazine, or a tube feed? Somehow, I think I remember a tube feed. I always thought the ones that feed from the back were cool. That way, you can feed them like a shotgun.

Here's another:
Bushnell 4 x 32 Multi-X Rimfire Scope, Black Matte

they did make a mag fed model also. They where great guns and required little maintenance.

I've got a mag fed, which I think is known as the 10C.

I'm also actively looking for a 76 and a bolt version.

I've got a mag fed, which I think is known as the 10C.

I'm also actively looking for a 76 and a bolt version.

Theres a few on gun broker but I want to stumble on a deal..... couple there north of 1k....gulp

Pat ever see the nylon fireball pistol ? I have not yet?

The nylon models have a cult like following your model along with the mohawk brown model are the most common. They can fetch a good amount but most that collect them want the box and papers also. There are a few 66 models that are more collectible like the Seneca Green and the gallery model. they where made for 30 years or so. I sold of my 3 to fund other projects about 5 years ago when prices really seemed to peak. All three went to guys in there 60s looking to rebuild some of the guns from the past collections. I did well on them. All where above the average 22 in the same price range in accuracy.
Like a few mentioned the 4x scope was the norm for these. I put a 3x9 compact on one of them and it was fine. Good rings go a long way to help with less expensive scopes.

WARNING the rail on the nylon 66 is just a stamped steel cover over the plastic receiver. Its easy to over tighten and distort the rail with the rings. This is also why it can be challenging to zero a scope on a 66. Some times that slip cover shifts around.

If you have not found it it http://nylonrifles.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=4

Im on the look out for the lever action nylon 76

Thanks for the info...yea I joined over there but that forum doesn't seem to get much action but there is a lot of good info...the rifle is def a little beat up but it shoots fine...yea the rail isn't too sturdy from what I read, even less if you disassemble it so I won't...seems like a good plinker which is what I plan to keep it as...don't see a point in selling it cause it seems pretty solid and I dig the old school look of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Theres a few on gun broker but I want to stumble on a deal..... couple there north of 1k....gulp

Pat ever see the nylon fireball pistol ? I have not yet?

I saw a 76 at a local gun show but the dealer wouldnt budge off of $800. I want one, but not that much.

The Fireball pistol: was that the bolt action single shot with the "nylon" grip/stock? I remember them in the Remington catalog back in the '80's, but never seen one for sale.

My modest collection consists of:

A standard Mohawk Brown 66
MB 10c
Apache Black
Black Diamond
KMart Special 77, which is green, clip fed

well the rings took too long to be restocked on amazon so i ordered another pair...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000T3SO56/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

in the meantime my family found the scope that was being used on the rifle and the rings...it's an old pistol red dot scope...i got a battery for it and verified that it worked and then i decided to mount the new scope since i liked the larger field of vision, it has zoom capabilities, i could mount it closer to my eye (pretty short rail on the rifle), probably overkill for a plinker but i figure i can mount this scope to another rifle in the future and then i'll put the red dot back on it or maybe i will try it out and see how i like it...i'm going to zero it today and see how i like it

9A9DF171-6402-4D2D-A89A-AD30A8947AC4_zpsdrhpcyqy.jpg

6911AE76-64F3-49D8-9309-4E7BBF94FF6C_zpskvxeby79.jpg

336599AC-B4B1-4B3A-96B1-9C611146E24A_zpsi11jekgp.jpg

well the rings took too long to be restocked on amazon so i ordered another pair...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000T3SO56/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

in the meantime my family found the scope that was being used on the rifle and the rings...it's an old pistol red dot scope...i got a battery for it and verified that it worked and then i decided to mount the new scope since i liked the larger field of vision, it has zoom capabilities, i could mount it closer to my eye (pretty short rail on the rifle), probably overkill for a plinker but i figure i can mount this scope to another rifle in the future and then i'll put the red dot back on it or maybe i will try it out and see how i like it...i'm going to zero it today and see how i like it

9A9DF171-6402-4D2D-A89A-AD30A8947AC4_zpsdrhpcyqy.jpg

6911AE76-64F3-49D8-9309-4E7BBF94FF6C_zpskvxeby79.jpg

336599AC-B4B1-4B3A-96B1-9C611146E24A_zpsi11jekgp.jpg

you where happy back in the day with a old school 22 scope. Only thing I can say is that scope may be a bit heavy for the stamped steel receiver cover?
here is what most of my 22 scopes looked like back then.
Nylonn 66.jpg

tried out the scope this past weekend and loved it...i have to spend a little more time dialing it in and tightening up my groups since we switched range distances a few times plus my buddy just picked up his new AR so we played with that a lot...i wonder if i can get a rig that i can mount that small pistol red dot scope on my sr22 or my g19 so i can mess around with it...i don't think i am going to like it very much on a rifle as it's a little too short...i also plan to pick up one of these speed loaders...

http://www.spee-d-loader.net/spee-d-loader/

853530E6-C1E7-4AC8-B6AF-1BC025CA8EC6_zpsenxfsy4v.jpg

A22E79FF-EF63-4354-B14A-D8F69E9F8ACD_zpsnehlly7f.jpg

Last edited:
Those see through rings are terrible IMHO. If you bang/knock the scope you will loose zero easily. BTDT! Speaking from experience.

I shoot old Rem Nylon 66 w/ matching time period Weaver V22 (3-6X, 7/8" tube). It came with 1/2" tube 4X scope. Rifle can easily make 12 ga shells dance @ 100 yds. 4X is fine for most practical hunting/plinking for any 22 IMHO. I have a nice little Redfield 4X rimfire scope, but the rings won't work on the rounded raised receiver on the 66 unfortunately.

I use a couple of those clear 22 "speedloaders". Downside is you just burn more ammo! 22's use to be cheap to shoot.

N66 are surprisingly accurate rifles! If I could just keep/own one it would be the Nylon 66 or my Marlin 60 DLX. It gets boring hitting everything you point at, LOL. :)

good to know thanks...i actually just got my new non-see through rings in the mail the other day from amazon and mounted them and i like them much better as they seem more stable than the others...i also just ordered a spee-d-loader before i checked this thread and now you got me thinking that i am going to call them to order another one so i don't have to pay the shipping charges twice...i really like the scope i have mounted on it right now since my shooting eye has an astigmatism and is not exactly clear so i'll take as much zoom and focus adjustment as i can get...i'm not too concerned with the look of the rifle as much as the function of it...it's like having saddle bags on a motorcycle...i hate the look but i love having the storage space

with a little practice you can speed load them with just a handful of ammo....

probably but it still takes a little time to get them out of the box...i guess i could get a plastic container to put all the rounds in but then i wouldn't know which rounds were newer, the brands would get mixed up and i would have to dig my hand in and count out 14 each time...i figured this would take less time...basically like loading your mags before going to the range...i don't like to go to the range with unloaded mags to have to sit down and start loading especially in the colder weather...when i get there i want to start shooting so if this makes it faster for a little while i'm all for it...pull the pin and dump

Back
Top Bottom