• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Remington Modular Sniper Rifle (MSR)

W

wolf223

http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/msr.htm

Designed for operators, by operators. The new Remington® Modular Sniper Rifle (MSR™) combines lethal accuracy at 1500 meters with a user adjustable folding stock, free-float handguard, and the potential to change barrel lengths and calibers within minutes at the user level from .338 Lapua Magnum to .338 Norma Magnum to .300 Winchester Magnum to 7.62mm NATO. This patent-pending system addresses long range and medium range performance needs of the modern battlefield in one package loaded with features designed to meet multiple emerging US armed forces requirements. The system features lightweight, efficient design and optimal material selection for corrosion resistance and strength. The MSR is mission-adaptable and can change the bolt face, barrel, and magazine to enable a smaller profile or different caliber. This system truly never has to leave the battlefield.

[shocked] i don't know why, but i would absolutly LOVE the opportunity to shoot something like this. it just looks mean!

i've seen M24, Barrett .50 sniper rifle, suppressed ARs, modified M4's, -this thing is right up there with those in the awwww factor.

doing some digging, then i find it looks a lot like this:

http://www.ashburyintlgroup.com/

The ASW338LM™ is a .338 Lapua Magnum medium caliber, fully integrated precision weapons platform based on the advanced SABER-FORSST® modular stock chassis system and the robust Surgeon XL bolt action receiver. The ASW338LM™ weapons platform is engineered using Ashbury's proprietary barrel modeling & design software with Rock Creek Pinnacle Series™ barrels. Asymmetric Warrior® precision sniper rifle systems are equipped with an integral muzzle brake and sound suppressor system. Standard barrel lengths are 20" and 27" and custom lengths are available. A1 variants use a 5rd detachable box magazine and A2 variants use Ashbury's 10rd box magazine. System matched day optics for long and short range applications mounted with SABER EO scope rings are included. Asymmetric Warrior® precision sniper rifle systems in .308Win and .300WM are under development. A complete sniper equipment suite (SES) is available to support ASW line of rifles.

almost identical... i couldn't find a big enough pic of the MSR, their website is flash - so you can't download them.

hmmmm the similarities.

Well, I can appreciate a big gun as much as the next right wing extremist, but it's about 4 positions on a picatinny rail too "tacticool" for me.[laugh]

Modularity is good - obviously we see that with the AR, but seriously, are you could to be scurrying around with 4 barrels, mags, bolts, etc...?

Oh well, I suppose my thoughts will be drowned in drool... [laugh]

Maybe I would appreciate it more if the picture had a scantily clad woman (or 3) in it?[rofl]

Modularity is good - obviously we see that with the AR, but seriously, are you could to be scurrying around with 4 barrels, mags, bolts, etc...?

No but the supporting unit will have armorers that will have the other parts if the mission calls for the them.

No but the supporting unit will have armorers that will have the other parts if the mission calls for the them.
True, though wouldn't you have an issue with maintaining zero?

We are talking sniper rifle here, seems difficult to accept that machining/manufacturing tolerances would allow changing barrels and maintaining zero... (when they don't in any other circumstance).

I don't know, I could be wrong, but it seems a little like a solution looking for a problem...

Maybe old-school camo instead of digital would make it all better?[laugh]

Great. It's lunchtime, and I can't stand up. Thanks.

Out of curiousity, if you're a really real tacticool operator, is it SOP to make yourself as camoflauge as possible, but make sure everyone knows the make and model of the rifle that you're using?

Oh, it's an ad. Not a real situation.

I think it's a cost issue. They can have one rifle with 4 different barrels or 4 separate rifles.

The modular rifle will probably save them money.

I think it's a cost issue. They can have one rifle with 4 different barrels or 4 separate rifles.

The modular rifle will probably save them money.
Indeed - no argument there... Just poking fun at the "changing calibers in minutes" ad copy ("Transformers... Robots in disguise!")[rofl]

You do have to wonder what the cost savings are going to look like for a relatively low-volume item like this though?

One would think that things like the Remington 700 and its various calibers are about as "modular" as you can get and still handle the economy of scale of rifles (or lack thereof)...

Again, I could be wrong, but I've seen this approach before in defense tech and seen it go wrong more often than right...

just like the M4 - it's modular... everything is "modular" these days [laugh]

Stryker vehicles, "modlar sleeping systems" ect...

"modular tent, extreme cold weather"

just like the M4 - it's modular... everything is "modular" these days [laugh]

Stryker vehicles, "modlar sleeping systems" ect...

"modular tent, extreme cold weather"
Indeed - sort of like the "Bradley 'fighting vehicle'?" [rofl]

Sorry, I guess I must be getting old - everyone else is getting wood and here I am asking questions... [laugh]

True, though wouldn't you have an issue with maintaining zero?

It looks like you'd just swap the complete upper and use a different mag. The lower being the "gun".

As the whole upper assy incl scope is one piece there would not be any zeroing issue.

I am very surprised at this.. I would have thought they would do something like the Blaser rifle type with interchangable features. Why go away from a bolt action for a true sniper/ tactical rifle?

Indeed - no argument there... Just poking fun at the "changing calibers in minutes" ad copy ("Transformers... Robots in disguise!")[rofl]

You do have to wonder what the cost savings are going to look like for a relatively low-volume item like this though?

One would think that things like the Remington 700 and its various calibers are about as "modular" as you can get and still handle the economy of scale of rifles (or lack thereof)...

Again, I could be wrong, but I've seen this approach before in defense tech and seen it go wrong more often than right...

It is also a personal preference. The armorer can support a rotating group of shooters all with different personal preferences. Lets face it:
  • .338 Lapua Magnum
  • .338 Norma Magnum
  • .300 Winchester Magnum
  • 7.62mm NATO
Saying one of these rounds is better than another is like saying Coke is better than pepsi or that Southern Baptist is better than Methodist. It is a matter of personal preference. Anything more and it becomes a religious argument and a waste of time. If you are comfortable shooting something, you are more likely to perform better.

It looks like you'd just swap the complete upper and use a different mag. The lower being the "gun".

As the whole upper assy incl scope is one piece there would not be any zeroing issue.

I am very surprised at this.. I would have thought they would do something like the Blaser rifle type with interchangable features. Why go away from a bolt action for a true sniper/ tactical rifle?

[wink] - that was cover'd on one of the top tep shows in the military channel. we were all drooling and posting here (i think).

it is bolt action

Hmm. So it is.. Idid not clink on the link the first time around and only saw the left side and Ass-u-med..

Then I guess the question really becomes.. How much of a cost savings is there to build a rifle like this and what really is the benefit?

I would have to think that building a tuned 700 in each caliber would ultimately produce a better gun and be less expensive.

it's just another platform - as far as I can see, there haven't been any confirmed contracts to "incorporate" into the current line up.

although, some of the smaller commands (i.e. Ranger, Delta, Special Ops) may have one or two kickin around.

-just like the AR 10 found here:M-110 semi auto aka AR 10

It needs more pic rails,maybe mill some rails on top of the S&B so you can mount a Dr Optic....also needs a tactical 5000 Lumens fleshlight with multi-colored interchangeable tactical lenses,a 14 position adjustable tactical stock with pic rails on it so you can mount a spare scope on it. Also,it and needs to be beltfed,because beltfed is tactical.

It needs more pic rails,maybe mill some rails on top of the S&B so you can mount a Dr Optic....also needs a tactical 5000 Lumens fleshlight with multi-colored interchangeable tactical lenses,a 14 position adjustable tactical stock with pic rails on it so you can mount a spare scope on it. Also,it and needs to be beltfed,because beltfed is tactical.

Haha! I don't get the appeal of it... looks way too "tactical". No one can seem to make a gun anymore without about 10 rails tacked on the side of it. I'd agree that a 700 with scope would do the same as this rifle would...

Haha! I don't get the appeal of it... looks way too "tactical". No one can seem to make a gun anymore without about 10 rails tacked on the side of it. I'd agree that a 700 with scope would do the same as this rifle would...

hence, it's made "by operators for operators" [wink]

it does have it's uses and applications. -worst case, the gun club.

Pictures

Here ya go Chet..

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

I saw a story about the new Remington modular sniper rifle on a gun blog - and followed the links to the Remington military site. Then I started searching around to see if the thing was going to be available to civilians - and if so how much it would be.

When I did my search in Google - this thread popped up as the second or 3rd hit. He - small world.

So does anybody know - is this thing going to be available to civilians - and if so: how much?

Back
Top Bottom