remington model 11

Im getting on from antique armory in a few weeks. It has a 28 inch barrel. I want it cut to a 20 inch barrel for a deer hunting brush gun. Does anybody no any gun smiths that will cut it and put the sight back on. Also before i do it whats the legal lengh for a shotgun in massachusetts and hunting

legal legnth is the federal 18 in ma has no special limits you can do it yourself i did my shotgun to 18 3/4 or something i cut it near one of the rib posts straigtend it with a file but im fairly experinced with metalwork and you might not feel comfortable with this then centerlined the rib and drilled tapped and installed a new brass bead.

i dont know if i would cut that gun down unless its absolutely trashed one day you might wish you did not do it theres plenty of new guns to abominate but if its an old one in good condition it might not be a good idea

The Remington model 11 is the same design as a Browning A-5 and Savage 720. I believe barrels from the Remington 11 and Savages can be interchanged but not with the A-5. I did see a Model 11 once with two barrels from the factory. A 28" and a 18" or 20". I'm not sure I'd be shooting high power slugs or buckshot thru this. The gun is adjustable for type of loads by how the friction ring is set.

My Savage 720:

DSC_2041.jpg

I have three Rem 11's, 2 12's and a 20. My 20 ga, below, came to me with a crudely cut off barrel and no front sight. I sent it to Rose Action Sports (http://roseactionsports.com/default.aspx). For $80 (including shipping), they trued the muzzle, machined it to accept a screw-in Tru-Choke style choke tube, and put a new front bead on, and did it in one day turn-around.

Drop them an e-mail note with what you want done. I'm willing to bet they can beat the price/turn-around locally, and they're damn nice folks, to boot.

PM me if you need some Rem 11 resources, like manuals, disassembly guides, etc.

1610roy.jpg

my dad has one and We wher shooting one day and we used short brass and it would eject the sheel all the way out of the gun. It was like a single shot

Be warned - the barrel is factored into the operation of the gun - loosing the mass (cutting the barrel) will change the way any given loads will work the gun.

You may want to research a biot over in the Browning forum of shotgunworld.com

good luck

Back
Top Bottom