• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Remington factory ammo

I've a bit of a rant and just have to vent. I picked up 200 rds of 300 AAC Blackout ammo made by Remington and this is the worst looking ammo I've ever seen.
The cases are dirty,brass is discolored from the annealing process,dents in the cases,burrs on the outside of the case mouths. This stuff looks like the UMC brand of ammo and I paid $20+ a box. Now maybe I'm being a bit picky here,my reloads look far better than this stuff. in fact I've had people think I was firing factory ammo,when I told them they are reloads they were "How come my stuff doesn't look as good?". The ammo is still usable but Remington's QC is slipping big time.

It's not exotic ammo,it's a standardization of the 300 Whisper.

300 AAC is still exotic by most standards. It's only barely "not a wildcat" because there's a real SAAMI spec for it now.

I would call up Remington and complain, especially for what that stuff probably cost you.

-Mike

The visible annealing discoloration is often a requirement on contracted ammunition to show evidence of such annealing. As to the other issues... you seem to have grounds to file a complaint. Is most of the ammo still produced in Lonoke, AR? or did that factory relocate, too?

I called Remington a while ago and complained about the ammo. To my amazement someone got back to me an hour later. The lady on the other end is sending me a return label for the ammo for the reasons I stated and apparently there has been a pressure problem as well. Only problem is I hope the label gets here by Sat as I'm leaving for Disney World.

I called Remington a while ago and complained about the ammo. To my amazement someone got back to me an hour later. The lady on the other end is sending me a return label for the ammo for the reasons I stated and apparently there has been a pressure problem as well. Only problem is I hope the label gets here by Sat as I'm leaving for Disney World.

Anyone else get a mental picture of highlander in a window of Cinderella's castle with a suppressed AR waiting for Mickey?????

[smile]

No, just me?

[tinfoil]

Have fun in Disney!!!

It is unfortunate to see Remington slipping - but when it comes to ammo it seems like everyone's slipping on QC. For example, prior to this year I can't remember anyone ever suggesting that Winchester white box might be suspect. I used to never think of my reloads as carry ammo, as I always assumed factory ammo was better. Now, though......

Rem UMC seems to be loaded "soft", at least compared to WWB. I know a lot of the cheap Federal is lightly loaded too. I've gotten boxes of Rem UMC where 1 of the cartridges was loaded with a bullet with a completely different profile than the others (this was in .45 Auto). Also not had good luck with Rem UMC in .223.

Hello. I am Director of R&D for AAC, and the project manager for 300 AAC BLACKOUT. I also am from MA, and so you are probably the first other person I know of in MA who has this.

The primary focus of this project was for the military, and I wanted Remington to sell consumers the same brass that the military got. What this means is:

1. The cases are annealed. This means they are discolored in the necks. These marks are purposely not polished out like commercial brass because it provides visible proof that the cases were annealed. When you buy normal commercial brass, it is all shiny, but you have no idea if it was annealed. This does not effect performance, and military ammo requirements often require it.

2. The brass has waterproofed primers.

3. The primers are staked to make them take more pressure, but yet the stake is light enough to not effect reloading.

4. Each round is dropped into a chamber gauge, so there cannot be burrs which effect performance.

5. The case heads are struck to a high hardness - like 5.56mm NATO brass - and you will find, if you were to measure brass hardness, that no one else makes 300 AAC BLACKOUT, 300 Whisper(R), or 300 Fireball brass that is both annealed in the neck and yet has a high-hardness head. This is better than 223 brass.

The cases are not going to be dirty, but they are not polished a second time after annealing - so this discoloration from the heat may appear to be dirty if you are used to highly polished brass.

I have not noticed dents, but if you have them, you have them. I am sorry for that.

I sent him some replacement and he seems happy now. We are coming out with a Premiere Match 125 grain load, and also decided not to highly polish the brass.

The ammo you sent me is the same as the stuff I got else where. I did fire 20 rds of the subsonic ammo and it makes little noise even without a suppressor. My buddy seems to think that the 300 would make a nice deer round.

Back
Top Bottom