Remington Bankruptcy?

boilermaker

NES Member
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...as-americans-buy-fewer-firearms-20171117.html

"Remington Outdoor, the second-largest U.S. gunmaker has suffered a “rapid” and “sharp” deterioration in sales and a similar drop in profits since January, and faces “continued softness in consumer demand for firearms,” credit analysts at Standard & Poor’s Global Ratings said in a report Friday."

Looks bleak for this iteration of Remington. Poor quality and poor designs (R51) are catching up to them.

I figured with the election going on and such gun sales were at a all time high. Once trump got elected and sworn in I'm sure people relaxed with their Hillary panic buying a bit.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...as-americans-buy-fewer-firearms-20171117.html

"Remington Outdoor, the second-largest U.S. gunmaker has suffered a “rapid” and “sharp” deterioration in sales and a similar drop in profits since January, and faces “continued softness in consumer demand for firearms,” credit analysts at Standard & Poor’s Global Ratings said in a report Friday."

Looks bleak for this iteration of Remington. Poor quality and poor designs (R51) are catching up to them.

It's all Trumps fault!
If Hillary won the election, they'd still be running three shifts trying to keep up with demand.

If a company goes out of business, what happens to their patents? It would be great if someone could buy the old designs and bring back the best ones, and maybe even make some improvements. Not just for Remington, but it would be great to get a brand new alloy break-top H&R .22, and many other designs you don't see any more with modern updates.

If they got out from under the corporate no nothings and reorganized under new leadership with firearm industry experience somewhere down south they'd be fine. Maybe Kel-Tech could buy them or something? Their manufacturing costs, poor management, and poor QC has been what's killing them. No reason why a bankruptcy done intelligently couldn't salvage the company. They aren't a hopeless patronage case like Colt is.

If a company goes out of business, what happens to their patents? It would be great if someone could buy the old designs and bring back the best ones, and maybe even make some improvements. Not just for Remington, but it would be great to get a brand new alloy break-top H&R .22, and many other designs you don't see any more with modern updates.

They get liquidated and the sale proceeds go toward the debt (legal bills).

That "1911" did them in.

I knew they were on the downslide when they went to using plastic trigger guards on the 870, from then-on, they've never been the same.
I was going to give one as a HS graduation gift to my cousins son, but I felt the quality just wasn't there anymore. So I gave him one of my own 80's vintage 870's instead, which I haven't used in years anyway.

Remington has been killing itself with all these rebates lately.
Those POS R51's are stupid cheap right now, about $200 after the rebate.
For a hi-capacity 9mm pistol, that's almost too good to pass up.
You could use it as a tackle box gun and not care when it gets all beat up.
I'm almost tempted to get one myself, but the thing is nearly as butt-ugly as a Hi Point.

I’m mostly ignorant when it comes to Remington. I know 870s (and 1100s?) had a pretty decent reputation, and the 70s and 700s too, but I’m not familiar with any other quality or desirable offerings from them, historical or otherwise. Did they ever make any?

Wait, what?

The digital optic system effectively bundles numerous devices and technologies together in a state-of-the-art package that brings confidence and improved accuracy to the shooter at distances of up to 500 yards. Integrated capabilities include:

• 3-21X Digital Scope
  • Laser Rangefinder (750 Yard Range)
  • The Most Advanced Ballistic Computer Available
  • Video /Audio Recorder
  • Still Camera (frame capture)
  • HomeLink (TM) garage door compatibility
  • Wi-Fi Server
  • Espresso Maker

Is this just the gun company, or is it also the ammunition company?

I’m mostly ignorant when it comes to Remington. I know 870s (and 1100s?) had a pretty decent reputation, and the 70s and 700s too, but I’m not familiar with any other quality or desirable offerings from them, historical or otherwise. Did they ever make any?

I know my father had a 742, which took many a deer. It was a lefty, but I always longed to shoot that gun. He sold it a while back. It also had an awesome Redfield scope. So yeah, they had other nice guns.

While Remington is not the company it once was, and surely the new 870's are nothing compared mine bought in 1973, it is still sad to see a the oldest gun company in the U.S. on the verge of extinction.

Couple of things.
Getting them to up their quality and lower their prices isn't a business model that will last very long. Doubt it will even get out of the gate.
Getting hammered over that trigger fiasco must have placed a huge burden on the books and likely will do so for years to come.
A turd is a turd no matter how much paint you put on it. Sure they made some very good stuff years ago but the newer stuff nothing I'm interested. Just a quick look at the wood speaks volumes. Not everyone wants a plastic or plastic looking stock.
Going for bankruptcy most likely will relieve them from their obligations however that just screws the next guy in line.

It's sad. I looked at some 870s not that long ago and the quality was just not there. They had the name and reputation if they just built a quality product. Also the 700 trigger recalls where you sent in your gun only to have it take months or years and sometimes to never be seen again didn't help.

I was thinking of selling my 72 1100 but decided a few months ago no way. I also have a mid 86 700 in 270 which is real nice.

I bought an 870 about 12 years ago, it's still in good shape. Not terrible quality and I only paid like $200 back then anyway so I'm not crying about it lol. I also have an r1 enhanced 1911 that I carry occasionally. I like it alot truth be told. Its one of the handguns I'm most accurate with.

They are owned by Freedom Group, that pretty much destroys any gun company they buy. I would not be surprised to see them go under with all the bad stuff they have done lately.

Don' forget about the massive model 700 recall and a looming sandy hook civil suit.
Also, the gun industry is very unique. All domestic gun manufacturers were hurt when The Donald got elected. We all had to have him for pres., including the manufacturers and aftermarket , knowing it would decrease demand for new fireams.
A very strange and counterintuitive industry indeed.

Shooty

That "1911" did them in.

Did Rem lose money on the 1911's? I have a basic R1 that I picked up for CMP as-issued matches. For the money, it's decent. Accuracy is very good. I've handled others and they seem OK. Not a Colt, but OK for what you pay.

Too bad that Remington is in dire financial straits. They are shutting down Ilion, NY and expanding a new facility in Huntsville, Alabama. Pretty sure they've invested in significant amounts of new equipment. Given some time, this move should have improved both their profitability and quality. Good move, bad timing.

I have an 1100 Skeet gun (1975 mfr) and 870 Police Magnum (1994 mfr) that are excellent guns, high quality. Sad to see any gun mfr drop QC to the point that they aren't a viable option anymore.

Shoooot.....Now my 223 PSS w Leupold scope won't be worth squat, and i'll have to give it away :p

Maybe they need to build better stuff that cost less so we buy more.
You already know of my skepticism with the Remlin brand. There's pretty much nothing that they could make that I would spend any amount of money on.

Sure they have RP9's and R51's for under $200 after the rebate, but... why would I get either of those potential dumpster fires when I could get a Ruger 9E used for the same price and not have to deal with a 3 month long wait for a rebate? I never hear of any issues with the Ruger 9E or SR9's for that matter like I do with Remington.

Back
Top Bottom