• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Remington 870 Vs benelli Supernova tactical

I took the benelli to the range on Saturday and i must say I'm very impressed with it, I know alot of people on here recommended the 870 but I had to have the benelli, thanks again.

I've got an 1965 870 Wingmaster....smooooooth.....pretty.

What's nice about the 870 is that it's barrels interchange with the Mossy 500. Lots of possibilities and chances for good deals on barrels.
I don't think this is true, at least with the mossberg 500 and the rem 870 express I had, but you could buy barrels made by mossberg for the 870

870 TONS of ways to go once you have one. Like a AR. parts are easy to find. I have a some what new 870 purchased in 1989 and my old 20g thats at least from the 60s. both have been work horses. benelli to me are just a tad over priced for what they are.

870. Good for all versions of shotgun uses except maybe 3-gun. Trap, hunting (game or fowl), home defense, etc. Plus, if anything goes wrong, a quick call or jaunt to your local store and you're back in action in minutes flat. No waiting for parts or some such.

Mossberg makes barrels for Remmington, but I don't believe you can use a Moss 500 barrel and Rem 870 barrel interchangeably.

870 all the way, nothing against the Benelli but the 870 has stood the test of time. Good gun at an affordable price. I was panning on buying one but then I went to Dicks Sporting Goods and the had an 1187 super mag for sale for 399 and I purchased that. Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 best pumps available.

870 all the way, nothing against the Benelli but the 870 has stood the test of time. Good gun at an affordable price. I was panning on buying one but then I went to Dicks Sporting Goods and the had an 1187 super mag for sale for 399 and I purchased that. Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 best pumps available.

Maybe in the past. Remington quality control is shit today - Mossbergs are looser and feel like junk but they're coming out much better than the 870s are.

Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 best pumps available.

Depends on how you define "best" I guess. I have a 500 and a Supernova, and the Supernova is an order of magnitude better in quality. The 500 is a lot less money though.

I'd go with the benelli. I had an 870 that had feeding issues so I traded it and my bud just bought one for his kid and it didn't make one year before feeding issues. I think the old 870s are great but these new ones I really question what comes out of Remington these days. Shitty finishes and metal workmanship is what I see. If I'd go cheap I'd go moss berg or savage. Savage is made overseas but it looked pretty solid.

Last edited:
Maybe in the past. Remington quality control is shit today - Mossbergs are looser and feel like junk but they're coming out much better than the 870s are.

I should have put IMO after I said that. My 1187 is very reliable and I love it. My Dad has a Mossberg 500 from like 1983 and the things awesome its sturdy and always reliable. I haven't shot a newer 870 or supernova so I don't know but I like Remington.

Does anyone have any experience with the Remington 887? How does it rank with the 870 and the Mossberg 500? I know it is newer so it doesn't have the history of the 870. A guy at my local shop said he bought one and has put 200 rounds through it with no issues. As a side note they have two supernovas on consignment and no 870s or 500s.

I got rid of my SNT a while ago, went with an 870 after some time without a shotty, and honestly miss my SNT. The Bennelli is a great gun, not knocking the 870, it's clearly a proven performer. I just liked how the Bennelli handled better. Will probably end up with another someday, but as it stands I'm personally holding out for my cousin to offload his M2 :)

I'd say if you compare an old 870 to a Benelli it becomes a much harder choice. I picked up an old Wingmaster a couple of weeks back and it is sweet! The newer 870s (especially the "Express" variants) definitely don't feel the same.

I've owned several old wingmasters and they were great I have an older express 12 thats been good..... my other two newer 20 expresses had issues. Wouldn't buy another one

Does anyone have any experience with the Remington 887? How does it rank with the 870 and the Mossberg 500? I know it is newer so it doesn't have the history of the 870. A guy at my local shop said he bought one and has put 200 rounds through it with no issues. As a side note they have two supernovas on consignment and no 870s or 500s.

The 887 is a flaming piece of crap, stay far, far away.

And 200 rounds isn't exactly a torture test - I put 250 rounds a week through just one of my shotguns alone.

The benelli is a much better gun, but if you're not abusing it properly, you might as well get the 870 and imagine all the ways you could break it where there's no imagineable or realistic way to break a benelli, and leave the real benelli's to the real men who need a good shotgun that doesn't quit before you do.

Back
Top Bottom