• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Remington 870 Vs benelli Supernova tactical

rprice180

Banned
I'm posting this thread to get an idea on whats a better shotgun to own because I know nothing about them. I like them both but cant really decide, i will be using either one as a range gun and also a home defense gun as well. Thank for the help,[smile] GO GREEN!!!!!!!!!

My vote goes to the remington 870 simply because its been around for ages and has the most available accesories, upgrades, and barrel options compared to the Benelli and you can find most of them at your local FFL or Cabelas, BassPro shop. Also replacement parts are everywhere...not the case for Benelli shotguns in my experience. My house happens to be protected by an 870 Police Magnum. To show I'm not bias, Mossberg 500/590 are in the same boat as the 870s....super reliable and parts/accessories are inexpensive and available everywhere. So between the 870 and Benelli I vote 870. If you havent yet, check out Mossberg 500/590 too. You cant go wrong with either, its just up to you which feels better to you.
I switched the 18.5" barrel on my 870PM for a 21" ribbed barrel. I use it for home defense and i do just fine with it shooting trap and skeet.

Last edited:
I use an older 870 I bought from a local PD when they decided to turn the 870s in for newer ones. 18" bbl and i put a mag extender on it long before they had a law regarding it and tactical was cool. Plain Jane model, front bead sight, ugly wood. It works for me. No one needs a semi auto high tech shotgun to hose down intruders inside their home now, do they? Well, almost nobody.

And seriously, careful what you load it with for home defense and know your backstop.

Thanks sniper977 for the info. As far as the mossbergs go i'm all set, i dont like the 2 guide rods on the pump action of the mossbergs it feels like a big P.O.S.

I like the 870 design more but as of late I'd take Mossbergs over them any day - their QC is terrible. The Supernova is a higher quality gun than either but the pump is a bit stiff for me.

i put a mag extender on it long before they had a law regarding it .

Ahhh what law says you can't add capacity to a PUMP shotgun?

I bought an 870 from a member here, stripped the factory furniture and barrel off it, got a Mossberg 18.5" replacement barrel for a C note, a +3 tube extension, and a pistol grip setup.

It is going to do what I want it to do for short money.

Nothing against the Benelli, they are great guns, but the 870 can be had all day long for 300 bucks, and unless you are going to shoot it a lot, it is a better investment than the Benelli IMHO.

I have an 870 and like it, but the SNT is a totally different class of shotgun, and IMO, it is worth the extra money if you can swing it.

-Mike

Last edited:
The Supernova is a higher quality gun than either but the pump is a bit stiff for me.

If an SNT action is "stiff" you're doing it wrong, or the gun you used was broken. When MassMark let me shoot his (on numerous occasions) the thing I always remember the most about it was how damned smoothly the action cycled on it. It felt like the shotgun equivalent of one of those high end 1911s where you can tell the gun was fitted properly... that's what it reminded me of.

-Mike

Glockaholic:2237484 said:
i put a mag extender on it long before they had a law regarding it .

Ahhh what law says you can't add capacity to a PUMP shotgun?
Damn, have I misunderstood the f'n AWB again? I was under the obviously mistaken idea anything manufactured after the cut off couldn't hold more than 5 rds, pump or semi auto.

Remington 870 is the best bet. I had a Benelli semi-auto, and it was very difficult to load, I got a sore thumb trying to stuff shells into it's magazine. And Benelli's 'recoil reducing stock' hardly made any difference at all in recoil.

On the other hand, I had a Knoxx recoil reducing stock on an 870 Express magnum, and I could shoot the heaviest loaded shells or slugs without any discomfort. That thing really really works.

If an SNT action is "stiff" you're doing it wrong, or the gun you used was broken. When MassMark let me shoot his (on numerous occasions) the thing I always remember the most about it was how damned smoothly the action cycled on it. It felt like the shotgun equivalent of one of those high end 1911s where you can tell the gun was fitted properly... that's what it reminded me of.

-Mike

I have a 12ga Mossberg 500A, a 20ga Remington 870 Express, and a SNT. The 870 has the smoothest action followed by the 500 and then the SNT - but the build quality and fit/finish of the SNT are exponentially superior.

I've had all 3 (870, supernova tactical and a mossberg 535) and I kept the mossberg. The supernova really just kicked too much and the trigger guard kinda scrapes the fingers. The mossberg on the other hand was cheapest out of the three and felt the most comfy.

No we got something going here. I'm looking at the shotgun from a member here and its never been fired, its got the tactical pistol setup with the 2 shot extension tube and a decent price. Greencobra its not a semi as much as i would like to own a M4 its a pump. We use the 870's in my department and yes they can take a beating and Parts are everywhere buy there's something about the benelli. Great info guys looks like i should check into the 870 a little more

870 better yet an older 870 Wing Master. The 870's have steel receivers and will take a beating for a lifetime. Never a problem for parts however you may never need to replace a part. The action is also the smoothest of any pump I have ever shot.
Stop by the shop and try out a few, this way you can make an informed decision before you purchase.

Last edited:
I love my super nova. It replaced my mossberg 500 and I didn't look back. The 870 is nice too, but as Mike said the Benelli is in a different class.

As for tacti-kool crap, everything that you could need is available for the SNT, it's just that the cheap crap manufactures aren't making parts for it. You'll probably pay a bit more but for the most part it'll be good stuff from a quality company.

My only regret with the SNT is that I got the pistol grip stock. Wish I had gone with the comfortech.

Benelli SNT, non pistol grip stock for me. Very well made, comfortable to shoot, best pump shotgun I've ever used. Safety is reversible for us lefties - unlike the 870s our department uses. The biggest advantage I see to the 870 is if it will be your only shotgun. Different barrel configurations are easier to find and much cheaper than the Benelli barrels. The only things I've added to the SNT are a Nordic extension and a decent VTAC sling. I have an EGW sight rail I haven't installed yet, still on the fence about adding a red dot - the factory sights are really nice. Maybe the tritium versions for low light.....

After the back and forth i'm still gonna go with the benelli, i just like it better thanks people.

870 better yet an older 870 Wing Master. The 870's have steel receivers and will take a beating for a lifetime. Never a problem for parts however you may never need to replace a part. The action is also the smoothest of any pump I have ever shot.
Stop by the shop and try out a few, this way you can make an informed decision before you purchase.

This.
I have a Wingmaster from the 70's (Bought used, it's older than I am) and it is smooth and has proper deep bluing. As a bonus, one in decent shape is about the same price as a new 870 express if you look around.

I am looking around to get an 870 but from online researching I hear that the express line has rust issues in humid areas. Has anyone had this problem of rusting in MA area?

Last edited:
I use an older 870 I bought from a local PD when they decided to turn the 870s in for newer ones. 18" bbl and i put a mag extender on it long before they had a law regarding it and tactical was cool. Plain Jane model, front bead sight, ugly wood. It works for me. No one needs a semi auto high tech shotgun to hose down intruders inside their home now, do they? Well, almost nobody.

And seriously, careful what you load it with for home defense and know your backstop.

fudd

Rem 870 and Benelli SNT on classified "Shotguns" section right now...

Thanks sniper977 for the info. As far as the mossbergs go i'm all set, i dont like the 2 guide rods on the pump action of the mossbergs it feels like a big P.O.S.

Just remember, 2 guide rods is what you want on a pump. Redundancy. Break one guide rod somehow and you can still load the gun. Break a single one and your out of action.

Back
Top Bottom