Remington 870 sights

So I have the 870 Express. Im thinking of putting better sights on it for deer season. I'm confused as where the rear sight would mount as there isn't a place to do so unless it attaches to the rib just in front of the ejection port but that seems a little far up to me.

Is that where sights are normally put on an 870 with the rib?

I see pics on line with a rear sight behind the ejection port. How are they installed there?

Is any drilling needed?

Is there a certain height I need?

Any suggestions on sights?

Thanks.

Thanks. Any suggestions on where to look for a reasonably priced barrel sight combo? Brand/website?

Yes, drilling and tapping is required.
Get a slug barrel with the sights already on it. It may cost less and get it done faster than the Gunsmithing services. Or get a B-Square Scope mount and scope the thing with a low powered scope for shotguns.

I think there's a barrel for sale in the NES classifieds. My 870 magnum barrel says to only use 2 3/4 or 3" shells, as it has a 3" chamber. You could probably use the shorter chamber barrels on your super mag. Remington has a good website.
There are lots of different ways to add sights and scopes to an 870. There are rifled and non-rifled, barrels with front and rear sights, barrels with a cantilevered scope mount that extends back over the receiver, the drilled and tapped method described above, and there's a saddle scope mount that goes over the top and down the sides of the receiver and is held on by screws that replace the action screws. Your best bet is a slug barrel. The smoothbores use the old Foster slugs and the rifled barrels are most accurate with sabots.

Yes, drilling and tapping is required.
Get a slug barrel with the sights already on it. It may cost less and get it done faster than the Gunsmithing services. Or get a B-Square Scope mount and scope the thing with a low powered scope for shotguns.

If you don't want to drill it, get this:

Last edited by a moderator:
with a scope set up like that, are you still able to use the sights if need be or are you locked into using the scope all the time?

plus, I already have a saddle on there utilizing the trigger assembly screws. Not sure if it would fit with both the mount and the saddle.

If you don't want to drill it, get this:

Last edited by a moderator:
So I have the 870 Express. Im thinking of putting better sights on it for deer season. I'm confused as where the rear sight would mount as there isn't a place to do so unless it attaches to the rib just in front of the ejection port but that seems a little far up to me.

Is that where sights are normally put on an 870 with the rib?

I see pics on line with a rear sight behind the ejection port. How are they installed there?

Is any drilling needed?

Is there a certain height I need?

Any suggestions on sights?

Thanks.
A simple ghost-ring real sight works fine. Mine came factory-installed the tactical Remington 870 that I purchased a few years ago. Excellent accuracy to 100 yards and aiming is very quick.

http://www.remington.com/products/f...70 fully rifled scope combo extra barrel.aspx I would go with this. Buddy of mine bought one for his kid and with federal premium 1oz sabot his son can shoot sub 3" groups @ 100 yards. He did not buy the scope combo. His son mounted a luepold shotgun scope on it.

I have the smooth bore barrel with rifle sights and find them to be almost useless for hunting..... I mounted a tasco propoint on it for several years and was able to get consistant kill zone shots with rem sluggers out to 50 yards with out effort. Thats about the longest of a shot you would get in my area and have a clean un obstructed shot.

Midwayusa
Williams Fire Sight Set Universal Vent Rib "Slugger" Shotgun Aluminum Black Fiber Optic Green
Product #: 671251 Williams #: 70230 UPC #: 053506702305

Back
Top Bottom