• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Remington 870 malfunctioning

The carrier lever either isn't working right or it's something else. When I pump the shotgun it doesn't release a shell from the magazine tube. I have to get the shell out by manually pushing on the shell latch (left). Anyone have an answer? Is this a quick fix? Or a job for a gunsmith?

Break it down and put it back together and and give it a go. You may have a simple part not in place properly.

With the gun unloaded, turn the gun upside down, and cycle the action - does the shell carrier move?

If it does, look at the latch - does it look "right" or has it been bent? 870s and 1100s have a habit of the shell latches coming loose, to the point that there are multiple tools on the market, to fix them.

If all appears right, find another 870 for comparison. If all is still appearing copacetic, obtain trained assistance.

Does yours have a mag extension? If so, screw it loose, hear the spring pop, screw it tight - gun worky.
The mag tube spring in mine loves to stick in between the mag tube and extension.

Back
Top Bottom