Remington 700 advice

I wanted to start a project that i will start and complete when the funds allow, probably over the next year or 2.
I wanted to build/have built for me a prescision long range rifle for target/SHTF (we know the zombies are coming ;) ), and accuracy/duribility is important to me alot, I dont want some scope that wont hold zero, or wont track.
I know as a beginner long range shooter i HIGHLY doubt i will be able to get those 1/4 MOA or 1/2 MOA groups, but want to know my rifle is capable of doing so.
I am set on getting the remington 700 action.
Should I get a rem 700 5r and go about customizing it to my hearts content, or should i start out with a rem 700 sps varmint (both in 308) and get a 5r barrel for it made up by rock creek or krieger or some other notable barrel company and customize from there?
I am interesting to turn one or the other into an M40a5 replica-ish build.
Also, as a sidenote has anyone had experience with the Vortex PST 4X16X50 FFP MOA/MOA scope?
For a grand it seems like a steal.
Is there anyone around Brockton MA that can do ceracoating and threading? I also wanted to put on the Surefire brake on the end of my stick.
I plan on putting a a5 mcmillian stock, with a badger ordinance detachable mag kit, and a timney trigger @ 2.5 lbs, is this a good idea?
I also was wondering if their is anyone around my area that can true my action and bed my stock?
Thanks in advance for advice.

I have all the same questions, that's why I'm watching with interest (generally the popcorn icon means "watching this" or "interested in this topic" and serves as a placeholder so I can find the thread again.)

I have all the same questions, that's why I'm watching with interest (generally the popcorn icon means "watching this" or "interested in this topic" and serves as a placeholder so I can find the thread again.)

Just subscribe to the thread.

Sent from the depths of Hell with TapaTalk V2

Do you hand load? If not, you should look in to starting if you really want to push the envelope. You'll be able to make $0.30 rounds that shoot better than the $1.50 ones the store sells.

If it were me, I would buy one ready to shoot (700 SPS Tactical) and upgrade as you go since this is your first foray into long range shooting. If you want threaded, get the 700 SPS AAC. The SPS line comes with a pillar bedded stock, and an adjustable trigger. Personally, I think the Savage Accu-Trigger is a bit better, but the 700's isn't bad at all. Timney makes very good replacements as well. I'm not sure the 700 SPS Varmint is the best choice, since I don't think that comes with the adjustable trigger.

I've heard nothing but good things about the 4-16x44 PST. It's probably going to be the scope I use when I build/buy my next .308 bolt gun. I have two Vortex scopes in Vortex mounts, and I have no complaints.

What distances are you going to shoot at? Do you have access to a long range? A rifle like that will be overkill for 100yds. Don't get me wrong -- it will still be fun and obviously super accurate, but if you aren't going to get to stretch it's legs you probably can save yourself some money by going in another direction.

Last edited:
Check the NES rifle classifieds. There's a helluva nice 700 LTR .308 with a killer scope that you couldn't replace for the asking price.

Same here. Been thinking about one for a little while now.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you hand load? If not, you should look in to starting if you really want to push the envelope. You'll be able to make $0.30 rounds that shoot better than the $1.50 ones the store sells.

If it were me, I would buy one ready to shoot (700 SPS Tactical) and upgrade as you go since this is your first foray into long range shooting. If you want threaded, get the 700 SPS AAC. The SPS line comes with a pillar bedded stock, and an adjustable trigger. Personally, I think the Savage Accu-Trigger is a bit better, but the 700's isn't bad at all. Timney makes very good replacements as well. I'm not sure the 700 SPS Varmint is the best choice, since I don't think that comes with the adjustable trigger.

I've heard nothing but good things about the 4-16x44 PST. It's probably going to be the scope I use when I build/buy my next .308 bolt gun. I have two Vortex scopes in Vortex mounts, and I have no complaints.

What distances are you going to shoot at? Do you have access to a long range? A rifle like that will be overkill for 100yds. Don't get me wrong -- it will still be fun and obviously super accurate, but if you aren't going to get to stretch it's legs you probably can save yourself some money by going in another direction.

Really, only 30 cents a round? My range is only 100 yards and ya I agree it wouldn't really be stretching it's limits at that distance.

If you are looking at 1/4 MOA, or at least CONSISTENT sub 1/2, you'll need to do better than a REM 700.
My personal "wish list" would be:
Action from Stiller or Surgeon
Stock from McMillan or Manners. Glass bedding is a must with your expectations.
Barrel from Bartlein, Lilja, or preferably Krieger.
Jewel or Timney trigger
there is only one company that I know of, that guarantees 1/4 MOA, and that's Tactical Operations out of California. I hope you have deeeeeep pockets, dude.
Oh and before I forget: don't you even dream of coming close to that without finely tuned hand loads. Lots and lots and lots of them. You'll need that practice.

Start with a stock Rem 700. Get a decent scope. Shoot to learn the basics. If you get more money, forget the McMillan and get a chassis system - no need to bed and you can swap multiple ones to see what you like.
Also, if you want a rifle capable of 1/4MOA groups, I think plan on spending at least 3K or buying a custom. Personally, I am perfectly happy with the groups ( ~.75 MOA) I get with my AI - which is actually guaranteed to only 1 MOA.

I've got a 700 in the standard Fudd configuration. It will hold 3/4 MOA all day and I will never part with it. I'd have to dump a ton of money into it to make it shoot better enough to measure the difference. Why? To make a 500 yard deer rifle a 600 yard deer rifle?

I have also spent hours on end at the loading bench and have worked up a very accurate load, which equals - but doesn't surpass - Federal Premium. But I still had fun and would do it again even knowing the end result.

Really, only 30 cents a round? My range is only 100 yards and ya I agree it wouldn't really be stretching it's limits at that distance.

Eh, my numbers are a bit off on second thought. I was guesstimating based on my 77gr SMK .223 loads, which cost me about that.

Federal Gold Match is one of the best .308 factory loads out there, using 175gr SMK's. Midway charges $35 for 20, or $1.75/rd.

Buying 175gr SMK's in bulk will run you $0.35/projectile. 42-45gr of Varget is about $0.13, and a primer is less than $0.04. Removing brass and the equipment from the equation, you're at $0.52/rd for better ammo. It's better (more accurate) because you can fireform the brass to your chamber and load the bullet just off the lands, and weigh every charge for consistency. You're saving roughly $1.25 per round by loading, which means if you buy used loading equipment, or one of those single stage package deals, you'll have it paid off in about 300 rounds.

Back
Top Bottom