• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Remington .22 Golden Boo-lits

I just picked up a new 10/22 and headed out to sight it in. I was shooting the brass plated Rem Golden Bullets. I've never used them before and I was amazed at how dirty these things burned. I went through about 150 rounds and could not believe how much residue built up on the magazine, let alone in the action. My fingertips were black by the time I was done. I did have one fail-to-eject and one fail-to-feed. This is the first .22 I've owned. Anyone have experience with this ammo? I'm wondering if most .22s burn this dirty or if it's just this type.

A lot of .22 is dirty, but that remington crap is some of the worst.

Personally, I shoot CCI Blazer, but even that seems to be going downhill these days.

I'm going to give them a try. A lot of people seem to like the CCI stuff. I'm going to go with the Stingers for small game.

Strangely, my Ruger 77/22 is a tack driver with Remington Golden Bullets and gives a much bigger spread with CCI Mini-Mags which are close to twice the price.

My 10/22 didn't like that Golden Bullet nonsense. I'm a fan of the Federal bulk. It cycles everything and is the cheapest ammo around.

I've had terrible experience with Golden Bullets. My 10/22 could fire off 500 Federal Bulk rounds flawlessly, but in the last box of Golden Bullets I'll ever buy, I probably had a FTF on 1 in 10 rounds. Completely unacceptable.

i am a big cci mini mag fan they are more money but at 7.00 for 100 they are still dirt cheep

My 10/22 didn't like that Golden Bullet nonsense. I'm a fan of the Federal bulk. It cycles everything and is the cheapest ammo around.

In both my 10/22s and MarkIII pistol the Federal bulk has been a staple. Works well. Recently tried the CCI Blazer have not had one FTF/FTE. CCI Mini-mags definitely shoot differently. More kick (of course) but more consistent groupings. What you would expect for twice the price. Mini mag burns cleaner but has a distinctive smell. I would guess for a different powder.

For general target (25 - 50 ft) or even 25 yards I would stick with CCI Blazer or Federal Bulk. As a man once said. It is what it is.

I like everything CCI makes. Mini mags, Velocitors, Stingers, Blazer, Standard Velocity etc. Federal is good too, actually Blazer is made by CCI and Federal.

Federal Automatch is available at Walmart and it's a good performer too, as is Federal Bulk.

I like Winchester Dynapoint GT from Dick's when I can find it.

And lastly, I read that Remington really revamped their rimfire ammo with new priming and better QC. I read some people had great luck with the new stuff so I bought some and it has been super. 100% and good groups from my handguns. I haven't tried it in a rifle but, so far, 2 thumbs up and I am no Remington fanboy for sure.

I had 4 boxes of Golden whatever they are that I bought 3 years ago. I had so many failures that I just put it away and forgot about them. I switched to Federal, and never had a problem. CCI's are also very good, but a little more expensive.

This past spring I was bored and went to the range with a few dudes to shoot up empty beer cans. I was broke so I grabbed one of the 550 pack of Golden whatever's I had in the back of my ammo cabinet and shot the entire box with 2 fail to fires and an occasional hang up on the mag, but I blame the magazines. Loaded them back up and they shot the second time. Maybe they get better with age.

The GB bullets seem sort of loose, and I've had some stove-pipe issues on some guns. My first impression when I started shooting them compared to the mini-mags & yellow jackets, was that they were very sooty. For the price I thought they were good. I think I now prefer the blazers for volume paper/steel shooting. No stove-pipes, and at least not worse from a soot perspective. I do clean the barrel on my .22s after each shoot, so I can't say I see a difference between the wax and brass coating. I shoot mostly off-hand and I'm sure I'm worse than the ammo so I can't comment on accuracy!

Those golden bullets are the worst. They are real dirty, lots of FTE FTF. I have settled on CCI blazer for all my 22's and it works well in all of them. Federal is also decent but I still like CCI the best. Usually can get it for 13.99 for 550 on sale

A guy I know that shoots competition told me that most competition shooters fire standard velocity. He then launched into a long discourse about trans sonic flight aerodynamics as applied to bullets. How much of that was conjecture I will never know?????

Anyhow, I have been shooting tons of CCI Standard velocity through my 10/22 with very few problems. What DID improve groupings was changing out the trigger group for a Hornet B with about a 3 pull. I like to shoot 100 yds with mine using aperture sights, it freaks out the guys who think they need scopes to hit anything. I offer to let them shoot mine, and they have a ball with it. Typically easily hitting a clay pigeon at the 100 yds. Then they start shooting the pieces.

I bought a couple boxes of that stuff recently. I was kind of expecting it to be decent since Remington is a big name, but I'm finding this ammo to be awful. I like that about it, though. .22 is for practice, and this ammo gives me tons of practice with FTF etc.

I have also noticed that the bullets are very loose, but for plinking I don't think this is really a problem?

I'm going to give them a try. A lot of people seem to like the CCI stuff. I'm going to go with the Stingers for small game.

Ironically, Ruger says not to use stinger rounds in the 10/22. Not sure why, maybe case length?

In any case, send CCI thru to sight in. Be consistent with your rounds, though. don't sight in with Velocitors (1450fps) or Stingers (1650fps) and then wonder why bulk (1200-ish fps) isn't hitting the mark.

Bulk is bulk, remember that. Some guns like certain bulk, some will eat anything. Go thru a box of each, Rem, Fed, Winch, etc and find the one that best suits your action. My 10/22 eats Rem green-heads, but hates Federal, ToddDubya's is just the opposite, it's up to you to find Love-For-Your-Gun [wink]

And for small game, might I suggest........... .17HMR? [devil2]

Last edited:
Strangely, my Ruger 77/22 is a tack driver with Remington Golden Bullets

It seems you're the only one using it in a bolt action, everyone else is using semiautos, except me because I use it mostly in lever actions. [wink]
For me it works well and doesn't leave more residue than most other stuff.

Those golden bullets are the worst. They are real dirty, lots of FTE FTF.

+1 THIS. I have had the same issues with Remington Golden Bullets & yes they are very dirty. FTE, FTF, and the worst (has happened twice - same box of 550) Squib Loads. Be very careful of squibs. If the gun does not cycle properly - (Walther P-22) - do not rack the slide, CHECK the BARREL.

Last 550 box of Remington had chunks of wax all over the lead. Looked like little blobs stuck on the bullets.

I mostly use Federal bulk & Winchester bulk now with no issues. CCI's are great if you don't mind the extra cost.

I have also noticed that the bullets are very loose

I have noticed this too. Lots of loose, wobbly bullets. Can't imagine that is good for reliable feeding in a semi-auto. [frown]

Last edited:
I have had absolutely ZERO problems with function, shooting Remington Golden Bullets .22LR through either my Ruger 10/22-TD, SR-22 or S&W 617. They are a little dirty... but don't impede function. I do however "break down & clean & lube" ALL my guns regularly. Plus even with BRAND NEW firearms I do this before I shoot them the first time.

+1 THIS. I have had the same issues with Remington Golden Bullets & yes they are very dirty. FTE, FTF, and the worst (has happened twice - same box of 550) Squib Loads. Be very careful of squibs. If the gun does not cycle properly - (Walther P-22) - do not rack the slide, CHECK the BARREL.

Wowow, 2 squibs in one box? Luckily I've never had one, but I have nightmares about them.

I was just doing a bit more research on Squibs and came across two handy tricks I hadn't thought of before. If it's a larger caliber gun and you're at a range, you can find a .22 casing and drop it down the barrel. If the casing doesn't come out, you've got a squib. Also, you can shine a flashlight down the barrel - if you don't see light there's a squib.

Last edited:
I've been shooting Aguila Super Extra in my Marlin 60 and Sig Mosquito. It's pretty clean (as far as .22 ammo goes) and was so cheap (I think I payed ~$20 for a brick) I bought a bunch of bricks. Been good ammo, always goes bang and is probably more accurate than me. [laugh]

Thanks for all the input guys. I appreciate it. I'm just going to get a decent sample and see what performs best. It's grouping great at 50 yds, so no complaints as far as accuracy. Just dirty as all get out and not too happy with the FTE/FTF.

Velocitors seem to work best for me in the Ruger 10-22 and MkII. Too bad they are so expensive. I wish they came in a bulk packaged box of 500 for some non-ridiculous price.

I ran a 500+ bulk pack of rem golden through my 10/22. I think I'm done with those...

I spent this afternoon cleaning out the gun top to bottom. The caked powder residue behind the barrel and all over the bolt and receiver were amazing. I ended up buying a couple of federal 325 bulk packs to try next.

I have run several boxes of it mainly because I was able to get it for around $16 a box on sale at Dick's. I too have noticed it is extremely dirty, and I do have to clean my mags, as well as use some wet wipes on my hands every time I run them. They do appear to be pretty accurate, at least for the 50 yd. range that I do most of my plinking at. I have had a couple FTFs per box, but don't consider that too bad as far as rimfire ammo goes. I definitely prefer CCI stuff, but when I can save $5 on a box of ammo, I will because that just means more shooting time per dollar for me!

Back
Top Bottom