Remington 1903 A3 advice.

jeffg333

NES Member
Hello my name is Jeff I'm new here. I recently acquired a remington 1903 A3chambered for 30-06. RA- 2-43 on the barrel near the site with flaming bomb. bolt and sites intact. 1 to 10, I would say a 8 or 9 in condition.

I have looked around for info, but would like to clean this up check the numbers and clearances and shoot this rifle if it should/can be fired. It looks to be in good condition. but would like to have a proper smith look at it. Is there a gun shop or gunsmith on the North Shore that anyone would recommend. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. -Jeff

Those are really tough guns.

If the bore is clear, and the bolt closes without having to hammer it shut, clean it, shoot it and enjoy it.

I've never heard of anyone having issues with one.

Good buy.

ETA: wear a good thick jacket, and pull the gun tight against your shoulder, as these things are some of the hardest recoiling guns around. Ask me how I know.

The bolt is clean and clear looks great smooth action no hang ups.. I just don't think it has been fired in over 60 years. I'm going to clean it soon. The barrel had oil in it and looks good and was put away good.

60 years or 60 minutes...makes no difference. They were tough then and are tough now.

Give it a good overall cleaning and shoot it until your shoulder can't take it any more......probably about 5 rounds. [smile]

Maybe 10 if you've got some padding on your shoulder...Enjoy it ... it's a very accurate rifle!

I'm not sure what you're worried about... I would just remove the action from the stock and inspect for any cracks or serious pitting underneath the wood - if you don't see anything, fire away.

Give it a good overall cleaning and shoot it until your shoulder can't take it any more......probably about 5 rounds. [smile]

I started shooting highpower with a 1903. (It's a club gun, and I still shoot it sometimes. Lyman aperture sights front and back, otherwise fairly stock.) You can back off the loading a lot from M2 ball specs and still have a very nicely accurate gun without the bruises. Also, no gas system to worry about. Great guns. (Hey, Jeff, PM me if you decide it's not for you and want to sell it!)

Jeffg333 ~ Welcome to the forum, the more you use it the more you get from it. I think you’ll love your 1903 Rem. I was fortunate enough to acquire a sporterized one years back and love shooting it. I know the original configuration is the way to go but I couldn’t resist this one at the time. Have at it and enjoy. Post some photos when you get a chance.​

No downside to these....I used to shoot my '03A1 more when I was younger.....

Ammo can get pricey if you're not rolling your own, but a nes member by the screen name of qmmo has made more than a few mwmbers of my Club happy with the quality and price of his product.

Only caveat - currently, much of the milsurp ammo is steel jacketed - not an issue for the rifle per se, but many ranges have restrictions as to what's OK< so check before you shoot....

Have fun, and they don't kick that bad if you hold them properly...but they were built for durability, not comfort! [smile]

Jeff,

They are beautiful weapons and built like tanks. I have both a Remington 03-A3 and a Springfield 1903 that were both used for service rifle shooting competitions. The 03-A3 was more heavily "modified" than the 1903, but both are excellent shooters.

ETA: wear a good thick jacket, and pull the gun tight against your shoulder, as these things are some of the hardest recoiling guns around. Ask me how I know.

Been there, done that, still have some stiffness in that shoulder, 30 years later.

[crying]

Back
Top Bottom