• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Remington 1100 O-ring

MJ1

Little gal up the road stopped me at the market yesterday and said her 1100 stopped working. I'm no shot gunner but it easy to see her piston was sized with carbon in the cylinder and the o-ring shown on u-tube was missing. After hours of soaking and chipping it's all freed up now but still needs the o-seal. Is this a hardware store item or something sized only for Remington? O-seals are metric world wide so could there be a quick replacement? Did the missing seal cause all the powder fowling? It must have been missing for years because this thing was a mess.

You can't not help a pretty girl with a shotgun..LOL

A missing o-ring will indeed prevent a seal and thus cycling. I wanted to address this issue and for science, I used the worst o-ring possible, one from harbor freight tools. Low and behold it has worked flawlessly for two years with about 500 rounds through it. I have cleaned it each time at the end of the day it has made no difference. Also o-rings are both metric and standard.

You can also use Viton #2-021 0-rings if your hardware store/box store carries them. They used to be about 0.50 cents/ea. A 3-pack at Brownells cost $6, not including shipping.

BTW, even with the gas seal (o-ring), the piston will seize with carbon if it doesn't receive a periodic cleaning.

Last edited:
I bought 25 on ebay for about $6. I keep them in my trap shooting bag. Someone always seems to need one.

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to answer and share their expertise.

This poor old 1100 was stuck solid and it took all afternoon soaking and scratching to get the cylinder part way clean.

One of the better trick I've learned is to put a wrap of masking tape on the screw thread on the tube prior to removal or replacement of the ring. The threads can be sharp and nick the ring

Back
Top Bottom