Remington 1100 LOP

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I have a beautiful Remington 1100 Trap model, gorgeous wood, my favorite shotgun. In an effort to improve my shooting, I want to remove the factory installed recoil pad and replace it with a Remington butt plate, in order to reduce the shotguns length of pull, and put my cheek a bit forward on the stock comb, for better eye alignment along the rib. Sounds pretty straight forward, right? My problem seems to be finding a Remington butt plate that will fit the stock, once I remove the pad. All that I have found in my search are the wrong fit, for one reason or another. Would any of you happen to know if Remington does in fact make a plate that is a direct replacement to accomplish this, it should not be this difficult. I do know that alternative stock sets are available for the 1100 to accomplish this very task, and then some, however, I want to retain the exceptionally beautiful walnut stock set that I was fortunate enough to get with this 1980's era trap. Any info is appreciated.
Michael

I shot an 1100 trap in the early 80's. Are you looking for the plastic butt plate that came on the field grade guns? I don't believe one came on a trap grade gun and I'm thinking if you have a trap grade stock on your gun, one won't fit cause the trap grades had a bit higher comb. I know what you're trying to accomplish, that sight plain on the 1100 drew me to using one for trap for a few years. I'm not 100% sure about the butt plate fitting. Maybe someone else knows for sure. Honestly, you're the only one I heard of wanting that plate on a trap gun, usually people want to soften recoil. One solution as you said, is to buy another less fancy stock and cut it to your fit. You will probably find hundreds of used 1100 stocks in Shotgun News for short money, there are literally thousands out there. If you're going to shoot any good amount of targets, and it sounds like you are, you are finding out stock fit is important and you're doing something about. But if I understand you right and you want to put that plastic butt plate on....well, there's a reason target guns don't come with them already installed. If it were my gun and I wanted to be successful, I'd cut it and wouldn't look back.

Forgive me but how is shortening LOP by X-inches. Going to align your eye to the rib? this would be more in line of a adjustable comb for that?
If you can find one with same screw spacing get a over sized one and fit it. it grinds easy enough. depending on you comb moving your eye forward will raise your POI?
The thin hard plastic stock plates slip around easily also.
Also is the wood at the recoil pad area flat or a slight radius to it?

Mac: If the comb is not parallel with the rib, as is common in shotguns, having a greater drop towards the butt, then changing the thickness of the buttpad will change the shooter's eye position WRT the sighting plane of the gun.

For some applications, it's an "easy" fix.

Mac: If the comb is not parallel with the rib, as is common in shotguns, having a greater drop towards the butt, then changing the thickness of the buttpad will change the shooter's eye position WRT the sighting plane of the gun.

For some applications, it's an "easy" fix.

True but it will not help with eye alignment to the rib off center which I assumed as alignment. Im still unsure as to why the OP thinks they need a shorter length of pull? Shorting LOP to align beads is the wrong method. Personally I think if you must need the beads to varify your mount then you should move the bead to get the "sight picture" you need. Also to the OP your eye or nose will move forward a good amount more than the actual change in LOP

It seems that many here are in agreement that fit is all-important!

[laugh]

The OP has a special gun; he wants to make it fit, without modifying it. This may be a tough job.

My son just "graduated" from an 870 (and other "regular" guns to a specialized Trap shottie - it won't fit me, but then, its for him. The shotties that I've picked up over the years fit me (or they would not have come home).

This is the tough part of an heirloom or family piece - do you keep it as is, or do you modify it for the next generation to use? Fortunately, my ancestral Parker fits me, and the kids that are fighting over who gets it. [laugh]

I always found every Rem 1100 to have a common or short LOP. Most seemed to be about 14 1/4" if I remember right were normal most are around 14 1/2". Too short of a LOP and lots of shooters contact their thumb on their face. I see a lot of trap shooters bring their gun up to mount position, then drop their face on the stock, squeeze it down, then maybe lift is up again, and repeat. I was helped to polish my trap shooting by guy who won the National Traps not once, but twice in his shooting career. He told me to keep my feet a distance as if I was standing at a urinal! Yup, that's what he said. He said to look out at the house and mount my gun, never moving my head. Your head and line of sight should be inline down the barrel without any head moving. No squishing down on the stock, or no raising it.

Problem is guys have short necks, no necks at all, or some are like storks. Some are wide shouldered, some are narrow. The drop of heel is important and the stock's pitch at the butt is also important. Most stock guns and especially the Rems have a neutral pitch. If a guy has a long neck they often shoot better with a positive forward pitch stock which mounts the gun higher on the shoulder. The better trap guns also have cast. Looking down from the butt stock you will see that the butt is off to the side slightly from the line of sight down the barrels. Butt stock to the right for right handed shooters and to the left for lefties. This allows the face and eye to align with the center of the sight line without moving the head as far over sideways.
Like it was said earlier, fit is most important, but unless the LOP on the OP's Rem 1100 is longer than normal, it's probably already too short for him or most normal sized shooters.

Shotguns are usually made with a short LOP because it's easier to lengthen the LOP, and to do it cheaply with a thicker butt plate. To shorten it and do it nicely usually requires either a gunsmith or a guy with real good finish carpentry skills and a fair amount of money. I have personally found a adjustable butt plate which allows me to slide the rear pad up, down, or to either side will get your gun where it really fits you best.

Some guys like really short LOP stocks though but I can't find it comfortable and feel all bunched up on my gun making my swing difficult. Like using a kissing button on a bow string some guys like to contact their thumb with their face as a "locking" point or anchor point for a consistent mount. I like distance between my face and thumb personally. Some guys without having that anchor point will move their face off the gun especially with hard right and left birds so they need that "positive" feel the thumb feedback gives them. I push my barrels to the bird while keeping my head in contact with my stock. It's kind of hard to describe what I mean but it's how I do it to consistently shoot 100's. It always keep my eye inline down the barrel. If I'm missing birds I'm moving more than just my barrels.

Last edited:
Adjustable combs and adjustable butt plates are not hard to install. Although for a really nice piece of wood I would sub it out to a skilled stock worker. Ken rucker did a few stocks for me price was resonable and turnaround was quick. I had adjustable comb on one stock and a adjustable through the butt pad and comb on another. The bump buster isalso nice http://bumpbuster.blogspot.com/

Back
Top Bottom