• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reminder: Carry at home

FWIW, a 120 lb Shepherd can react faster than you can process what is going on, draw your gun, and fire accurately.

So you should probably do both... I do. My gun misses all the time, my GSD rarely misses... And if he does, it's only for a second.

I know in this situation any dog that is alert and would have barked could have stopped the whole situation. I wished I had my little yapper with me. All turned out well though, still.

So basically you had a robbery attempt/home invasion at your home, and realized it when you saw the bad guy(s) right there in front of you. You were carrying at the time, and were able to scare him/her/them off or hold him/her/them at gunpoint until police arrived to arrest him/her/them. Close?

It is good advice. Having guns stashed around the house, not necessarily a bad idea, but pretty unhelpful if you walk out of the bathroom and bam, criminal right there. No time to run and grab the gun you have stashed when it's in between you and the bad guy.

I mean I don't know the stats, but are you more likely to face a criminal there then you are to face a criminal trying to break in your house? I'd imagine home burglary or robbery, and home invasions about as common as burglary or robbery when you are out and about. So if you carry when you leave your home, why wouldn't you carry when you are in it as well? I do understand it can be easier to have other preventative measures in place at your home that aren't possible elsewhere, like motion lighting, alarm systems (to include dogs), locks and other reinforcements to inhibit break-in, but not everybody has those things, and even then, it doesn't prevent everything and may not even give you enough warning anyways.

Good reminder.

On a lighter note, earlier tonight my dog started going crazy. He hardly ever barks, and certainly not like this. Something was definitely up. Fortunately it wasn't anything nefarious, but it was interesting to see.

"What are you barking at! Be quie...oh, there are horses in the backyard. Good boy!"

Neighbors horses somehow got loose and decided to hang out in my yard. That was a new one.

Like I teach my students if you have to carry in the house then you are already dead.You must treat your house like a fort,and in defending any fort you must form a perimeter.You start securing that perimeter all the way back to the fort, or in other words your home. Many things can be done like lighting all dark areas around the house,putting up a fence,making sure there is no place for someone to hide behind like keeping bushes trimmed. The weakest points of a house are the doors,and windows.So learning how to secure them,a good alarm system,and most of all a family defense plan.

Like I teach my students if you have to carry in the house then you are already dead.You must treat your house like a fort,and in defending any fort you must form a perimeter.You start securing that perimeter all the way back to the fort, or in other words your home. Many things can be done like lighting all dark areas around the house,putting up a fence,making sure there is no place for someone to hide behind like keeping bushes trimmed. The weakest points of a house are the doors,and windows.So learning how to secure them,a good alarm system,and most of all a family defense plan.

Your first statement is clearly not true, but I understand the premise.

Your first statement is clearly not true, but I understand the premise.

I'm basing my first statement on the fact that your
carrying a gun as a first line of defense because you do not trust your home security or lack there of. So I asked this question what do you do when you're taking a shower or sleeping how do you manage to defend yourself Then?

Last edited:
Here's a cheap and effective way to be alerted before the bad guy is able to break into the house while you're there, so you have more time to react:

https://www.amazon.com/HA-434RTL-Wi...7418926&sr=8-2&keywords=skylink+motion+sensor

I've had these 4 years and they work well, rarely a false alarm (and if it is, it is due to sun shining through trees onto a sensor... if positioned well, that shouldn't happen). The do trigger on cats and raccoons though, so that can be fun.

carrying a gun as a first line of defense because you do not trust your home security or lack there of. So I asked this question what do you do when you're taking a shower or sleeping how do you manage to defend yourself Then?

Having one level or security is not a reason to ignore another. That is preposterous. It's even more preposterous when you consider a firearm is an active means of protection while security systems, alarms, and locks are not...unless you home security system has automatic turrets.

I decided a long time ago to keep my gun with me or in arms reach at all times. It is on the vanity in the bathroom when I take a show and on the night stand at night.
Doors and windows can only be made so secure. Nothing you can do to them will make them so a determined person cant get through. Ask the fire department. A 20 dollar harbor freight porta power will spread any door frame enough to open the door in a couple seconds. I'm not saying you shouldn't lock your doors and windows but it is a fool who thinks they cant easily be beaten or forced open.

I decided a long time ago to keep my gun with me or in arms reach at all times. It is on the vanity in the bathroom when I take a show and on the night stand at night.
Doors and windows can only be made so secure. Nothing you can do to them will make them so a determined person cant get through. Ask the fire department. A 20 dollar harbor freight porta power will spread any door frame enough to open the door in a couple seconds. I'm not saying you shouldn't lock your doors and windows but it is a fool who thinks they cant easily be beaten or forced open.

You speak the truth. A determined individual can easily and quickly overcome most deterrents put out there in the way of doors and windows. I view security as two fold. It's at best a base deterrent to signal to someone go find an easier target thus leaving me alone.
Other side is it no more than an early warning system to help buy you precious time. I go as far as I've installed a spot in my shower to keep my gun very accessible. Otherwise it's on me when I'm home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is all good discussion. I never understood why home entry doors don't swing out.

Here's why. If the door opens out, then it closes on the in swing. That means on an out swinging door, the entire jamb takes the impact of a kick. All the way around. The force of a kick is not concentrated on just the hinges and locks. Of course that means the hinges are on the outside of the door, but hinges with welded pins are easy to find.

Remember, the goal is not to make the home impregnable. If any kind of structural reinforcement changes it from 1 or 2 kicks to get into the door to 10 kicks, then it has made a huge difference. In the time it takes for someone to kick my door in with one kick and attack, I'd be lucky to get my gun out of my pocket.

In the time it takes someone to kick my door 10 times, I could draw my pocket gun and retrieve my G34, flashlight, and a spare mag.

Which brings me to my next point. Home carry is easy if you have an "always" gun. For me its the Kahr P380. Even if I'm carrying something else outside the home, I'll stick this in my pocket when I change after work.

Also, someone mentioned that they have a lot of ground level windows and doors were the least of their problems. Most residences have ground level windows. But bad guys still prefer to come in through a door. Maybe its because they don't want to have to climb in through a window covered with broken glass. (duh). Its slower and it is much harder than just giving one good kick to a door.

The door armor mentioned early in the thread looks pretty good. I'd sure like to know what kind of locks they use in their demo videos because even with the jamb and door reinforced, most locks wouldn't take that much abuse.

Don

FWIW, a 120 lb Shepherd can react faster than you can process what is going on, draw your gun, and fire accurately.

So you should probably do both... I do. My gun misses all the time, my GSD rarely misses... And if he does, it's only for a second.

Re dogs.

I've always been a bird hunter. My 13 year old GSP only has so much time left. Bless his soul. He's a great dog but he is absolutely useless these days as an alert dog. My previous dog, a very territorial field trial bred American style Lab was very territorial and very alert. He wouldn't bite, but you couldn't get near the house without hm going nuts.

I'd like a dog that can provide some level of security. Preferably something that will bond hard with the children. AND can hunt birds. A Doberman is a great dog except for the bird hunting. I've know two and they were exceedingly attentive, patient, and loving towards the kids, but would rip your head off if you approached them uninvited. But they obviously don't hunt.

The other thing is that all of the "sharp" hunting dogs that will bite are just as likely to bite the kids.

I'm thinking I'm just going to go back to another Lab with Alpha tendencies who will at least alert me.

Thoughts??

Don

p.s. Kids are now 7 and 8 so I don't need the dog to be quite as tolerant as they had to be previously.
58793_1308728453272_7696827_n.jpg

167742_1446686302132_8356460_n.jpg

1915432_1102665701832_1980286_n.jpg

My 3 yr. old GS/Husky mix is a menacing looking dog but he doesn't (almost never) bark and his nice temperament has me doubting whether he'd even growl or bark at an intruder if nobody in the family was home. He certainly would check things out and keep an eye on the intruder, but I have no idea whether he'd bark or attack. That being said, he has acted protective and very alert around my wife (particularly) and me, always keeping an eye on any stranger (such as a contractor at the house, visitor in my office - I take him to work every day, etc.). He seems to have a very good sense of how to act and react based on our demeanor. As I've told my wife, as nice a dog as he is, I imagine there's an other side of him that would die to protect one of his family if he felt we were threatened. All of that being said, I keep my PM9 nearby (briefcase) for family-room time and my 12 gauge ready to go (in the bedroom) in case somebody intrudes downstairs at night (and the dog doesn't deter the intruder)... It does feel good to know that I have a great dog who most people are at least weary of when they first meet him as he's weary of them (friendly, but looking to me to make sure I'm cool with them).

View: https://youtu.be/cIam1mMEYKM

Not to distract from the beastiality talk, but anyone wanting evidence of why carrying at home may not be a bad idea, look no further. For those not interested in the long video detailing the attack, UFC light heavyweight Anthony Smith recently had to fight off a violent home invader for over 6 minutes before the police arrived. He only knew the guy was in the house from his crazed screams. He was clear to mention how foolish he felt not having quick access to his firearm as he normally does (or closing his garage door at night.....come on man).

This is a world class pro athlete who fights at 205lb, walks around in between fights around 225-230lb, a bjj black belt, yet details the struggles he had with this crazed 160lb home invader. He was shocked how he has put out pro fighters his weight with blows that this guy ate with ease on whatever drug he was on.

Carry or not, whatever you decide to do at home, just remember that most of us aren't UFC light heavyweights......just NES heavyweight shit talkers. Be safe.

That's crazy! Drugs are why I keep a 12ga in the home defense rotation, that's about the only thing that'll stop a drugged up whacko.

Back
Top Bottom