Remember your taxes!!!

Brent

NES Member
taxes.jpg

And can SOMEONE please tell me why we have to friggin PAY for the "privilege" of submitting our taxes online? Saving the Infernal Revenue Service I-don't-know-how-much in processing costs because they don't have to open the envelope, scan in the form and errorcheck the scanning? I mean, WTF is up with that????

dwarven1 said:
And can SOMEONE please tell me why we have to friggin PAY for the "privilege" of submitting our taxes online? Saving the Infernal Revenue Service I-don't-know-how-much in processing costs because they don't have to open the envelope, scan in the form and errorcheck the scanning? I mean, WTF is up with that????

Since when have you expected the govenment to make sence???

I thought you were smarter than that, Ross!

Arrrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Weer'd Beard said:
Since when have you expected the govenment to make sence???

I thought you were smarter than that, Ross!
I am, and I don't. I just want to know why our legistraitors haven't reined in this gross abuse!

dwarven1 said:
I absolutely refuse to pay them one thin dime to do their job for them. I'll be mailing mine in until they declare that illegal - and it's coming, believe me. [angry]

reinbeau said:
I absolutely refuse to pay them one thin dime to do their job for them. I'll be mailing mine in until they declare that illegal - and it's coming, believe me. [angry]

Yup... and they can friggin' well read my handwriting, too. Damned if I'm going to make it any easier for them. Not to mention that if I owe, they get it mailed the LAST day I can... going to keep my money as long as I can!

The way I understand it is that companies like Turbo Tax have a deal with the IRS that allows them to submit the data on your behalf. When you pay, you pay Turbo Tax. They screen the tax and then submit it to the IRS.

This makes sense. Imagine if upteen zillion people sent directly to IRS and didn't have the screening process that TT has.

BTW, if you haven't used TT, you should. It gets better and better each year. My wife has a home business and it knows exactly what to ask. I did my entire tax in about 1 1/2 hours..state and fed, and got notice my report has been accepted by the IRS (and state) and that I'd be getting my refunds asap.

Last year I got the state in less than 3 businees days and the Fed in less than a week. With property taxes due, this is very handy and worth the electronic filing fee to me.

Pilgrim said:
The way I understand it is that companies like Turbo Tax have a deal with the IRS that allows them to submit the data on your behalf. When you pay, you pay Turbo Tax. They screen the tax and then submit it to the IRS.

This makes sense. Imagine if upteen zillion people sent directly to IRS and didn't have the screening process that TT has.
You're kidding, right? That's what they're paid for. Before Turbo Tax, that's exactly what the IRS did, process tax returns. From beginning to end. Worked just fine for many, many years.

BTW, if you haven't used TT, you should. It gets better and better each year. My wife has a home business and it knows exactly what to ask. I did my entire tax in about 1 1/2 hours..state and fed, and got notice my report has been accepted by the IRS (and state) and that I'd be getting my refunds asap.
I've used Turbo Tax for years, handling very complex returns, and you're right, everyone should use it. But no one, absolutely no one, should have to pay one red cent to file electronically. It saves the IRS time and money - it should be free. Turbo Tax Deluxe has one free filing, but I've got two kids I do them for, and my sister - she get's the freebie if she wants it).

So I print out my return, sign it in ink, and mail it in - like Ross, on the last possible day if I owe anything (I haven't owed now in two years).

Last year I got the state in less than 3 businees days and the Fed in less than a week. With property taxes due, this is very handy and worth the electronic filing fee to me.
It doesn't bother me a bit to wait a few weeks to get my money back, because I keep what I get back to an absolute minimum. Letting the government hold your money so you get a big fat return isn't the right way to do it - keep your money from week to week in the bank and earn interest.

Edited to add: You know, I was just thinking about this further. We ALREADY PAY the IRS! Why on earth should we pay MORE? Eeew, it just pisses me off no end to think they want more money for less work. The hell with them! Make them do their jobs and quit nickel and diming me to death!

Derek, where's my soapbox??!? Nevermind, I found one
soapbox.gif

Last edited:
Pilgrim said:
You say the IRS should be able to do it. Are you remembering that the IRS is a govt agency and the gvt NEVER does anything right or cheap. It's almost always better and cheaper when a private company does it.
Not my problem, Pilgrim.

they want my tax money and want it make it so complex that average people spend 15+ hours doing a return, they can friggin' well read it themselves. I will be DAMNED if I will pay them for the privilege of making it cheaper for them to process the return.

They want me to send it in electronically, they can go ahead and drop the fee for doing so.

Pilgrim said:
You say the IRS should be able to do it. Are you remembering that the IRS is a govt agency and the gvt NEVER does anything right or cheap. It's almost always better and cheaper when a private company does it.
Pilgrim, I have no idea how old you are, but the IRS has been doing it for years and years - and try to keep this in mind: We already pay them to do the job!! Why on earth should we pay them AGAIN to do what they're supposed to do in the first place? Or pay anyone else to do the job we're already paying for? This is why they get away with what they get away with, because people don't think through all the costs to themselves.

I'm with Howie Carr on taxes. No withholding at all. Make each taxpayer pay, directly to the government, the large chunk they already excise from your paycheck each week. Maybe then people would realize how much we're actually paying these bozos to tax us even further into the poorhouse.

So, reinbeau and Dwarvin1, how do you really feel about the IRS? :)

Hey, I'm not trying to justify it, I'm just saying that I find it easier and quicker to do it electronically. The IRS sucks no matter how you do it.

Btw, I suspect I'm a lot older than you, Ann. I was born in 1946.

I know better than to ask a lady how old she is !

Pilgrim said:
So, reinbeau and Dwarvin1, how do you really feel about the IRS? :)

Hey, I'm not trying to justify it, I'm just saying that I find it easier and quicker to do it electronically. The IRS sucks no matter how you do it.

Btw, I suspect I'm a lot older than you, Ann. I was born in 1946.

I know better than to ask a lady how old she is !
[wink]

Pilgrim said:
So, reinbeau and Dwarvin1, how do you really feel about the IRS?
Let me put it this way: The phrase "blood-sucking leeches on the body public" DOES spring to mind when I think of the Infernal Revenue Service.

reinbeau said:
You're kidding, right? That's what they're paid for. Before Turbo Tax, that's exactly what the IRS did, process tax returns. From beginning to end. Worked just fine for many, many years.

Not quite true. In addition to completing your return, you had to pay the USPS to deliver the paper to IRS. You can still do that, or you can pay a bit more to have TT deliver the forms electronicly.

Ken

KMaurer said:
Not quite true. In addition to completing your return, you had to pay the USPS to deliver the paper to IRS. You can still do that, or you can pay a bit more to have TT deliver the forms electronicly.

Ken
Umm, let's see - $.39 vs. $14.95. I'll ponder that for awhile - not! [smile]

Oh, ya, if I owe, then I pay for registered mail, return receipt. Still a lot less than $14.95.

So, as you've aptly demonstrated, it's all your choice. If I need to send a hard copy of something, whether to an individual, a business or a government office, I've got a similar set of options. I can drop it in my mailbox and pay the USPS a dollar or so in postage; I can take it to the post office and pay a couple more dollars for Priority Mail; or I can pay UPS, FedEx, DHL, or any of several other companies $12-$15 to deliver it. If it think that the $12-$15 is a rip-off, then I can always opt for one of the cheaper alternatives. I don't see anything different with TT. If you think E-filing is a rip-off, use the post office. TT is taking advantage of the opportunity to provide a product or service for which people are willing to pay, the same as FedEx or Dell, Sears or Sony, Browning or Glock. Nobody is forced to deal with any of them, and if anybody thinks they can do the job profitably at a lower price, they're free to attempt it.

Ken

I just finished the last of three separate sets of returns for this year: ours, my mother-in-law's and my son's. Aside from the complexity, the worthless instructions and everything else, there's the matter of just where my money goes. To put it all in context, if you pay $10,000 in federal taxes, then your entire "contribution" amounts to just 1% of this year's subsidy for the Waterfree Urinal Conservation Initiative and 0.07% of the amount given to the International Fund for Ireland, a proud sponsor of the World Toilet Summit. Next time you find yourself mumbling about the government pissing away your money, well ....

Ken

Gee, thanks, Ken! That just made my day, I gotta tell you! [rolleyes] [rolleyes]

"I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is a disgrace; two are a law firm, and three or more become a CONGRESS!"

Back
Top Bottom