• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Remember these?

I wonder what would happen if I sent one in today...

BlueCard.jpg

Didn't the state throw away a truckload of them by mistake back in the 80's? or was that an urban myth?
I'd never heard that, but I can verify that they were never stored in anything resembling an organized fashion and were routinely destroyed or disposed of with pretty much reckless abandon. A friend's company was hired in the late 80's/early 90's to design a system to computerize them all, and he said that countless boxes of them were water damaged, unreadable ones were simply thrown away, and entire years were unaccounted for.

The state had a flood in the basement where they were stored and they also got covered in rat poop and they threw them ALL away. They claim that some of them got put on microfiche

i had one that went with a shotgun i have from the '80s. it got FA-10'd because i was transferring it from someone with a "lifetime" FID who magically had it expire somehow other than by death... funny how MA changes what even "lifetime" means, eh?

They were the same size as the old IBM cards...oh jeez did I just show my age... remember the old IBM cards "don't fold, bend or mutilate" yes kiddos thats what this generation used instead of floppy discs..doh! I mean zip drives..doh! I mean usb thumb drives....

Is that actual size? [devil2]

-Mike
Pretty close, at least on my monitor. I've got the original scan if someone really wanted it.
They were the same size as the old IBM cards...oh jeez did I just show my age... remember the old IBM cards "don't fold, bend or mutilate" yes kiddos thats what this generation used instead of floppy discs..doh! I mean zip drives..doh! I mean usb thumb drives....
LOL, yup, good 'ol IBM cards! My mother was a keypunch operator back in the early '70s and used to bring them home and we used them as note paper!

Didn't the state throw away a truckload of them by mistake back in the 80's? or was that an urban myth?

Urban myth!

The state had a flood in the basement where they were stored and they also got covered in rat poop and they threw them ALL away. They claim that some of them got put on microfiche

No, they only threw away the damaged ones. I posted about this a few months ago. My info was from the person who was Director of FRB at that time and I asked him recently.

Pretty close, at least on my monitor. I've got the original scan if someone really wanted it.

LOL, yup, good 'ol IBM cards! My mother was a keypunch operator back in the early '70s and used to bring them home and we used them as note paper!

Found a box of 5000 new cards being thrown out when I was at DEC. I used them for shopping lists for many years.

When was the date/year when these were stopped being used and they switched over to the different form?

-Mike

When was the date/year when these were stopped being used and they switched over to the different form?

-Mike

Mike the "blue card" was used until 10/21/1998 . . . it was strictly for FTF and "registration" transactions. A book (~same size as these cards) of card-stock with 2 tissue paper copies was issued to FFLs for dealer transfers. The card went to MSP (back then), one tissue paper stayed in the book for dealer and one to buyer.

Back
Top Bottom