• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Remember shooting these?

That sounds like a stereo typical "paranoid gun owner" type question.
I'd not worry at all, and use them as I saw fit when I felt like it.
Its not like the moment you found some, the ATF and FBI have immediately been notified?

RC

let’s not pretend Fudds and many others wouldn’t rat you out.

Last edited:
Rat me out? I don't live in Mass. I'm blowing things up all the time at my backyard shooting range.
I even shoot what sounds like machineguns. I don't own any, but no one knows that, and yet no phone calls to the Gestapo

What I'm saying is that I wouldn't be worried about some old novelty exploding targets.

Also don't have Fuds as friends.

RC

OK, so it's the day after Thanksgiving, 2002 or so.

Me and a buddy head over to a range in central mASS. His local range. I've got some of them sploding-tar-jays that we bought at the most recent gun show for us to try out. (The pisser is - you need to be DEAD-CENTER to get them to go off.)

We show up just at 9am - opening time. Dead empty. but out at the 25yd line is. . . a refrigerator door. ????

Buddy goes up and takes the door and sets it up. "Isn't that somebody's door?"

"Tough. Leave it here and that's what happens. Besides - THEY JUST OPENED UP. Who could be here before now???"

OK, good point.

Buddy has a new double-bbl shotgun. Decides to test out some #7.5's on the door. At 10 feet, a fridge door WILL stop a blast of bird shot. Good to know. He absolutely pummels the thing with about 10 shots overall. Never penetrated. Then we get to pistol.

About 30 min into our symphony of destruction, a pickup truck shows up. 2 GOBS come out and we call cease fire. They were at Walmart getting some slugs to sight in their shotguns for deer season that opens on Monday. Turns out. . . . that's their door. ROFL!!!! Whoops.

So they commence to shooting and we have the pistols out and have the sploding-targets all set up. We hit one or two BEFORE they show up. So we knew basically how they worked and the explosion factor and such.

Well these geniuses went to Walmart and bought ONE box of 5 slugs. Now they gotta go back - a 30 min drive each way - to get more.

"Hey - can you watch my wife's couch cushion while we're gone?"

"Uhhh, sure." I say. I turn, pull my Glock and DRILL the exploding target dead center. Big explosion, stand goes toppling over. Lights on fire.

"HOLY F! WHAT ARE YOU SHOOTING OUT OF THAT THING?"

Buddy explains the exploding target. We go down range to pick it up and put it out. Laughing the whole time. They leave.

All set up. New target stuck to the stand. Turn around.

The cushion is gone. Oh man. We literally fell on the ground laughing. I guess with teh exploding target and the fridge door, they didn't trust us with his wife's couch cushion.

And what the Frick are you doing taking your wife's couch cushion as a rest for shotgun sighting???? LOL.

Three full boxes and one single, plus some old shotgun shells in the can. forgot all about them.
Written like we wouldn't notice "100 Flobert CB Caps 6mm".
Yeah, they're just .22CB. But it's still funny.

I remember those,at the range one day watched a guy shooting at them. Great fun till one of them went off and set the target frame on fire.
6qhkSGk.gif

I was a little kid when those got banned. Always thought the ones that caught fire were the best ones. Everybody on the firing line would cheer.
Maybe putting them on wooden frames attached to cardboard and layers of old paper targets wasn't the best idea.

Little kid??? I've seen them at mASS gun shows within the last 5 years. How old'a'boy are'ya?????

Damn. Maybe I was using them post-ban. Pre-ban sploders in a post-ban world.

Back
Top Bottom