• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rem 887 nitro mag problem... Help!!

I got a buddy who just bought a brand new remington 887 nitro mag tactical... Shot it out of the box (without first cleaning and oiling). He put 7 rounds thru it then on the 7th round the shell would not eject... He brought it to me and i was sketched out being handed a shotty wit the bolt closed but was able to eject the spent shell by banging the but stock on the floor and getting the bolt to open.

Took it home... Disassembled, cleaned, oiled, an reassembled... After that the action was smooth as butter... Used a good clp and all seemed to be well.

Took it to the range this morning wit a box of slugs... First round fired but i couldnt get the shell to easily eject!! Banged the buttstock on the range table to open the action and eject the shell... Loaded up 2 more rounds... First fired.. Then racked smoothly and ejected... 2nd fired then the damn thing wouldnt eject yet again. Banged it off the table yet again to eject.

At this point im thinking theres a malfunction somewhere... Any ideas? Have him send it back for warranty? Am i overlooking something?

And insight would be greatly appreciated... Thank u nes family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call/have him call Remington. This (among many others pertaining to that particular gun) is a known problem. I've heard stories of bolt/extractor issues. Sounds like you're experiencing this. I've got a 887, and while I don't have this particular issue, mine dumps rounds out of the bottom randomly while pumping. Supposedly, timing is off somewhere within trigger assembly. They'll send me a new one, just haven't taken the time to call.
From what I hear, their customer service is pretty sympathetic towards owners of these shotguns.
Good luck!!!!

I know the later production models have the "fixes" in them. Assuming he bought this new recently I would be surprised if it was an older 2010 or so model. In any event, as mentioned above, call Remington.

you would think after 60+ years Remington would have the 870 action and production so free of bugs it would run flawless.....shows how much Remington has fallen....your experienceing shifty quality control. don't waste another moment or round. get a return order slip going and send it back.
here some info http://www.remingtonowners.com/topic32-10.html
maybe his is NOS? and has the old trigger housing design?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom