Rem 870 barrels

I have a Rem 870 WingMaster which came with a 30" full ribbed barrel in 3"Mag. I bought an 18" plain barrel for that urban experience, but in 2 3/4 chamber. I want to get a barrel for skeet (suggestions needed) and maybe upgrade my urban barrel for 3" Mag.
At any rate, being new to the MA firearms community, where and how is the best way to purchase barrels for my 870? AND what are your suggestions for a skeet and/or trap barrel?

For skeet I'd recommend a 26", vent rib barrel with a set of interchangeable chokes.
I can't suggest a specific place to get the barrel, but I just did a search on fleabay for "remington 870 barrel" and got 235 hits.
For trap, that 30" you already have should be fine.

30" full (fixed) could be used for trap (most use mod/mod improved), skeet I think 26/28 with imp cylinder would be good. Online or take a trip to kittery to buy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For that "Urban Experience" the 2 3/4 is enough. You go to a 3in barrel to use 3in slugs and buckshot, It will not be a pleasant shooting experience. So don't waste your money on a barrel, use the money for ammo.

Many do not realize that on the 870, that other than the barrel being chambered for 3in, the receiver must have the ejector and ejector spring for the 3in. The ejection port is the same size on both 2 3/4 and 3in.
Joe is correct. My own Remington 870 Tactical 12 gauge has an 18" barrel with interchangeable chokes. I replaced the breaching choke that came with the gun with a modified choke. I use 2 3/4" slugs for hunting and 2 3/4" buckshot for HD. Either way, it will blow a .73 caliber hole through whoever or whatever is unfortunate enough to be standing in front of it. In my 40 years of shooting, I never saw the need to load up with 3" 12 gauge shells for any reason. Standard 2 3/4" is plenty devastating within the ranges that a shotgun will be used.

Joe is correct. My own Remington 870 Tactical 12 gauge has an 18" barrel with interchangeable chokes. I replaced the breaching choke that came with the gun with a modified choke. I use 2 3/4" slugs for hunting and 2 3/4" buckshot for HD. Either way, it will blow a .73 caliber hole through whoever or whatever is unfortunate enough to be standing in front of it. In my 40 years of shooting, I never saw the need to load up with 3" 12 gauge shells for any reason. Standard 2 3/4" is plenty devastating within the ranges that a shotgun will be used.

I hear ya on 3 inch loads. I bought into the 3 inch load thought for turkey loads last season. Patterning those was PUNISHING! Talked to a few guys recently that say 3 inch loads are not really that necessary........I may go back to 2 3/4 inch heavy game loads in like #5 or #6 shot this season. And some guys go with 3 1/2 inch shells for turkey......damn!

Back
Top Bottom