• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rem 1100 12 gauge - Poly Choke

Ben Cartwright SASS

NES Member
I just picked up a model 1100 with a poly choke, I have some questions about it. The main one is what is the proper starting position for the choke?
In other words you can spin it around and around to the various choke positions, so where do I start it at

My feeling is crank it all the way in until it stops and then start twisting it out to the various positions, but I am not sure.

I thought to take it to the range along with my 11/87 and pattern them both with various chokes.

thoughts

I just picked up a model 1100 with a poly choke, I have some questions about it. The main one is what is the proper starting position for the choke?
In other words you can spin it around and around to the various choke positions, so where do I start it at

My feeling is crank it all the way in until it stops and then start twisting it out to the various positions, but I am not sure.

Exactly right. The instructions want you to start all the way in and work out from there. I have a Stevens with a polychoke, and the choke settings do deliver something in the neighborhood of what they're marked. So, all the way in (tight), and then back off until X-FULL lines up. Don't fire it with the adjusting sleeve too far out - if the fingers in the choke get bent, bad things start happening to the pattern.

Huh?

Just turn it to the choke you want.

Unless it's not actually on a choke, it just looks like it is. Then, it breaks. Used one before?

How effective is the Poly Choke compared to screw in chokes and how effective is the built in comp?

Well, it works - the two shotguns I have with them were permanently attached when I got them, so I couldn't compare to a regular choke. Neither had the compensator. I got well dispersed patterns off both of them, and the pattern size was close to what was marked on the adjuster.

Not particularly attractive, needs more attention when cleaning then regular chokes, heavier & longer than conventional screw in chokes. One of mine likes pulling plastic off the wad as it goes by, so it gets dirty faster than the other. Probably just a burr in there somewhere - it wasn't a big enough deal that I've tried to find it.

With the removable Polychoke, I suppose you could sell it if it didn't work out.

Back
Top Bottom