Reloading with coated bullets

LuvToGoFast

NES Member
Is there any differences when reloading with coated bullets than with lubed lead bullets?
I’m going to still start with the recipe for the size and weight of lead bullet I have? Is the slight difference in thickness due to the coating make a difference?

Thanks in advanced

Nah load them like lead. Same type of precautions. Plenty of flare. Don’t over crimp. Moderate speeds in rifles. Just about any speed in handguns.
That pretty much sums it up. I believe almost all coated bullet manufacturers say to just use load data for lead bullets and then adjust as necessary.

Attachments

• ADF1EACA-6145-4048-8E1B-1CE805537247.jpeg
    ADF1EACA-6145-4048-8E1B-1CE805537247.jpeg
    613.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 60E1AACF-AC39-4CF5-82D6-D9E6B8C02D63.jpeg
    60E1AACF-AC39-4CF5-82D6-D9E6B8C02D63.jpeg
    667.3 KB · Views: 12
I 2nd liking the ibejiheads…. Those are my favorite coated Bullets… Also like Blue Bullets….
+3 on Ibejiheads. I also shoot Blue Bullets but had a bit of falling out with them when they changed the dimensions of the ogive on their 147RN bullets and I had problems in my CZ because of the short throat in the barrel. Took 2 phone calls before they told me that they had installed new dies when they switched their coating to the "cleaner" version and did not realize it might cause a problem (really?). I lost a stage in one match and had a DNF in another match before I figured it out.

I've also used Steel Valley Castings 220gr HyTek coated bullets in 300BLK subsonic loads with good accuracy. I've never tried their pistol bullets only because both Ibejiheads and Blue Bullets usually have shipping included.

Also although Blue Bullets and Ibejiheads are basically the same price I find that Ibejiheds has a significant discount on their 3,000 bullet case for 147gr.

+4 Ibejiheads or Blue
Or Bayou.

Also, the Bayou owner is a great guy, chances are, if you send them an Email he will call you with the answer ... and then talk about shooting for 30 minutes.

STAY AWAY FROM BLACK BULLETS.

BB are trash. Their coating is sh*t, turns your fingers black. I bought .358 from them once, they shipped .355 / .356, said that was normal, they didn't want to pay for return shipping so I had to file a claim with my CC. The owner is a d*ck.

I tried blue bullets a few years back for 115gr 9mm and 230gr .45 and had constant FTF issues with both. I don’t know if I was doing something wrong but I followed directions and advice to the T and it still wasn’t working for me. I just stick with FMJ or plated now. I still have tons of coated bullets for .380 and 9x18 but I don’t compete with either of those. And oddly enough my guns in those calibers seem to have zero problems functioning with coated bullets.

The polymer coated bullets I use for reloading all my handgun ammo is excellent in not leading the barrel or wearing it out as jacketed bullets do. The manufacturer advises that the coating is so durable they can be loaded to magnum velocities which is not advisable with lead. I have loaded thousands of rounds of 357 and 44 magnum that are near maximum loads and had great results: accuracy and cleanup has been great.

I tried blue bullets a few years back for 115gr 9mm and 230gr .45 and had constant FTF issues with both. I don’t know if I was doing something wrong but I followed directions and advice to the T and it still wasn’t working for me. I just stick with FMJ or plated now. I still have tons of coated bullets for .380 and 9x18 but I don’t compete with either of those. And oddly enough my guns in those calibers seem to have zero problems functioning with coated bullets.

Interesting.

I load plated for my semi-auto pistols, (Berry or XTreme), and since it's working - I'm not fcking with it.

I have a bunch of Blue Bullets that I load .38SPCL with and I have no issues with them at all.

Interesting.

I load plated for my semi-auto pistols, (Berry or XTreme), and since it's working - I'm not fcking with it.

I have a bunch of Blue Bullets that I load .38SPCL with and I have no issues with them at all.
I don’t know what I was doing wrong. Too much COL maybe? Wrong crimp? Who knows. I would try coated bullets for any revolver rounds though.

Some manufacturers limit selection to 9/40/45 but many do not. You can get coated bullets in lots of rifle and handgun calibers. If you shoot a lot (thousands of rounds a year) consider making your own.

Back
Top Bottom