Reloading which brand or mod to look for?

Looking into reloading starting with handgun calibers 45acp, 10mm the usual but which reloading set should I be getting which one is better built and just plain better. I don't know how to do it yet so I'm just asking brands and models I should be keeping an eye out for

Dillon Square Deal B

If you might want to do rifle, Dillon 550 or 650.

I've had a Square Deal B and currently have an XL650. Love them both!

My SDB I bought used for $125 with 4 calibers over 20 years ago (sold it 2 years ago for over $600 before the post Newtown hysteria).

Dillon has the best warranty, period!

Last edited:
Start with a single stage press (Lee and Hornady are what I've used and always worked well) and some books, once you've perfected the art and it hasn't become a large paper weight, go with a progressive for your pistols calibers. Single for the rifles calibers, at least thats how I roll. I like my Hornady L&L.

Last edited:
Can't really go wrong with a Hornady or Dillon. I've got the Hornady AP progressive and really like it so far for what I reload - 9mm, 38 spl/357 mag, 30 carbine, 30-06, and soon will be 7.62x25.

Ive got friends that use Dillon progressives which are top notch as well and Lee single stage presses.

Last edited:
you'll get a slew of answers on this and I'm sure all of them will have merit. I'll throw in my .02, worth what you paid for it;

What is your budget? How much do you shoot? What are your production requirements? I ask because if you shoot one box a month, then I would recommend a quality single stage as opposed to a progressive. If your budget is 300.00 Id recommend a Lee instead of an RCBS setup. All of the big names in reloading, Lee, Lyman, RCBS, Hornady, Dillon, make quality gear depending on what your looking for from that company. For example, I like Lee dies over others, but I would never buy a Lee progressive. If we know the answers to the initial questions above, we'd be much better at steering you to where you need to be.

If you shoot 2-3 hundered rounds a month, and are not constrained by time to load, and like most folks, have some money set aside but would like the best deal possible, then I would suggest a single stage kit. Two single stage kits come to mind, the Lee, and the RCBS. Both come ready to load minus the dies. They have all of the basic tools you will need. For quality I'd give my nod to the RCBS, but it is almost double the price. The Lee will load quality ammo for years and years, and if you find that you want or need nicer gear, your not out much money and in fact you'll be able to re-coupe some of that cost by selling to another begining reloader who finds himself in the same situation.

Along with the kits mentioned, you will need a reloading book, this is of great importance because it has invaluable information on the many aspect of safe ammunition reloading and it should be read and studied to ensure safe and successful reloading. Also, you'll need a cailiper, dial or electronic, your choice, but a simple one from Franford Arsonal will work just fine and run you maybe 20.00. Then a set of dies for the calibers you want to reload and your pretty set with the basics.

This is just a brief snapshot of an answer to your question, I could go on and on

Start with a single stage press (Lee and Hornady are what I've used and always worked well) and some books, once you've perfected the art and it hasn't become a large paper weight, go with a progressive for your pistols calibers. Single for the rifles calibers, at least thats how I roll. I like my Hornady L&L.

Ooooh! OOooooooh! NES fodder.

Bullshit, I say! :)

I started with a progressive and never looked back.

Dillon - when you care to give yourself the very best.

Ammo Load - if you have a shit ton of money http://www.ammoload.com/

Here's a good start. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121744/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press-kit

I just got this kit a month or 2 ago, it works great. Even has a few extras I don't use. Like the hand primer, I just prime on the press. I would recommend getting a better chamfer and deburing tool. Don't forget to get a caliber specific case length gauge for the trimmer (~$4) and I would recommend a 2pk. of the lock rings for the dies The kit comes w/ one. If you get a 2pk then you'll have one for each of the 3 basic dies so you won't have to swap one ring around. Dies CAN NOT be installed in the press w/o a ring.

I paid just under $200 (w/ a $45 coupon) I ordered:

The kit-$116 http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121744/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press-kit
Dies- $32 http://www.midwayusa.com/product/434975/lee-pacesetter-3-die-set-223-remington
Case length gauge- $5 http://www.midwayusa.com/product/107333/lee-case-length-gage-and-shellholder-223-remington
Tumbler-$35 http://www.midwayusa.com/product/587176/frankford-arsenal-quick-n-ez-case-tumbler-110-volt
Quick change bushings 2pk-$7 http://www.midwayusa.com/product/971565/lee-breech-lock-quick-change-bushings-package-of-2
Case lube pad-$10 http://www.midwayusa.com/product/274234/lyman-case-lube-pad
Backup Expander-decapping rod. Just in case-$4 http://www.midwayusa.com/product/39...3-remington-22-250-remington-replacement-part

Other than components a reloading manual and media for the tumbler (if using fired cases), that is all you'll need to get started loading live ammo.

This is like the Ford vs Chevy debate. Everyone has their favorites.
I have a Lee progressive and I think it is poorly engineered. I would not recommend

If it's blue, it'll do. I've been loading on Dillon's for over 2 decades. If you're only going to load straight walled pistol cartridges a Square Deal B will do it, and do it well. I started with one and loaded thousands of .45's and .38 Supers with it. I moved to a 550 when I wanted to load .223. I now have 2 550's, one set up for small primers, one for large. A single stage press will work, sure, but do you want to spend your time reloading or shooting?

Single stage I use RCBS...Much better quality than the lee stuff. Same quality as Hornady. Pick a color red or green their both great. If your looking progressive..NOTHING compares to Dillon.

I use a LnL for all pistol calibers, I like it so much that I am seriously considering getting another. I have no experience with Dillon but I have heard way more good than bad. I wanted an auto indexing press and that's what led me to the LnL. My rifle round usage is far less than pistol so I do all my rifle rounds on a Redding BB2.

I have tried them all, and i can honestly say that if you are going to do any more than 1 caliber of any kind in a single day and not make 1000+ at a time, get yourself a Dillon 550b. Its a bit more expensive, but well worth its weight. Its a glorified single stage press with 4 stations. Although progressive, because of the way its designed, its drop dead reliable. Yes, you will pay more money for it, but use it as a single stage press to start, and when its time to upgrade, you wont have to buy another press, just start using it as a progressive. Thats what i did, and i have no regrets at all.

Last edited:
It depends on what you can afford or want to spend. If money is no object get a Dillon 650.

If you want to do it for lower cost get an RCBS rock crusher single stage. You still need all of the other stuff regardless. I would stick with Hornady and RCBS dies unless you go dillon the by all means get dillon dies

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

I have tried them all, and i can honestly say that if you are going to any more than 1 caliber of any kind in a single day and not make 1000+ at a time, get yourself a Dillon 550b. Its a bit more expensive, but well worth its weight. Its a glorified single stage press with 4 stations. Although progressive, because of the way its designed, its drop dead reliable. Yes, you will pay more money for it, but use it as a single stage press to start, and when its time to upgrade, you wont have to buy another press, just start using it as a progressive. Thats what i did, and i have no regrets at all.

+1

Just a comment, I was thinking.....when a reloading noob posts a question, or looks for a recommendation for equipment, their head must freakin' spinning with all the different answers they get. Just something basic like "single stage vs. progressive, what should I get to begin reloading with" produces a serious amount of different replies. I'm glad we didnt have the inter web when I started reloading. Alright, I've thought enough, carry on people.

I have tried them all, and i can honestly say that if you are going to any more than 1 caliber of any kind in a single day and not make 1000+ at a time, get yourself a Dillon 550b. Its a bit more expensive, but well worth its weight. Its a glorified single stage press with 4 stations. Although progressive, because of the way its designed, its drop dead reliable. Yes, you will pay more money for it, but use it as a single stage press to start, and when its time to upgrade, you wont have to buy another press, just start using it as a progressive. Thats what i did, and i have no regrets at all.

I have a 550b that I've been using for ~15 years. While it has a lot of advantages, it does have some disadvantages. With only four stations, you don't have room for a powder check die. If you are going to load long, skinny, large capacity calibers like .38 Spcl or .357 Mag, a powder check die can be really handy as they are very hard to inspect visually.

The other issue with the 550b is the priming system. When it gets dirty, it can start causing issues. And it does get dirty.

Looking into reloading starting with handgun calibers 45acp, 10mm the usual but which reloading set should I be getting which one is better built and just plain better. I don't know how to do it yet so I'm just asking brands and models I should be keeping an eye out for

Buy an press you want. As long as it is BLUE!

Going to chime in with Dillon as well. Top notch service and warranty. I own a 550, currently only reloading for pistol, but will be moving onto rifle soon. It can be used as a single stage if you want, then you can "graduate" to using it as a progressive mode. Can't reload rifle on a square deal, and the dies for the square deal are proprietary and won't work in any other press(Dillon or otherwise). But if all you will ever reload is pistol, the square deal is one heck of a buy.

Protip: If you end up buying a Dillon buy it from Brian Enos's site, you won't find a better price anywhere.

If you expect to reload a lot, the Dillon 550, 650 and 1050 make perfect sense. Eventually. The numbers in the name are kind of what you can expect to load in an hour. I had a 550 and in straight walled cases you might be able to do so once you get in shape. With 9MM, I could, for a few hours, load about 600 per hour. Bottleneck cartridges would be about half.

On my single station RCBS press, with all the other things you have to do, about 100 an hour for bottlenecks. That includes sizing/depriming, trimming, deburring, priming, charging, seating and crimp. Sounds like a lot but you sound bite it and sooner than later you're done. And if you start with a single stage press, trust me, no matter how many progressives you have, you'll always find a use for a single stage. RCBS, Lyman and Hornady are top names.

Ooooh! OOooooooh! NES fodder.

Bullshit, I say! :)

I started with a progressive and never looked back.

Dillon - when you care to give yourself the very best.

Ammo Load - if you have a shit ton of money http://www.ammoload.com/

This!

I started with a dillon xl650.

If you go slow and watch everything, it's easy.

You don't have to run it balls to the wall ether.

Just pay attention to all the stations.

My dillon 650 is awesome, by far the easiest and most reliable press I have used. 2nd place but way back would be the Lee pro 1000 and in last place is the hornady LNL, I would rather give up shooting then have to load on that piece of shit again

Dillon 550 and don't look back. Easily can do over 500 rounds an hour.

Mike

This, buy once. (The only way I could recommend a single stage for pistol is if you're not sure you want to reload, but the thing is, it won't be as good of an experience overall w/o a progressive)

This, buy once. (The only way I could recommend a single stage for pistol is if you're not sure you want to reload, but the thing is, it won't be as good of an experience overall w/o a progressive)

Yeah it'd be hard for me to recommend a single stage over a progressive press. With the progressive you have more options as to how quickly you want to reload. Don't have to kill yourself trying to crank out 500+ rounds an hour. You can go slow as you feel comfortable watching each station then with more experience you can reload a little faster if you'd like. These options aren't available with a single stage.

I realize budget is a factor but save yourself the hassle and time and just get a progressive.

I have tried them all, and i can honestly say that if you are going to do any more than 1 caliber of any kind in a single day and not make 1000+ at a time, get yourself a Dillon 550b. Its a bit more expensive, but well worth its weight. Its a glorified single stage press with 4 stations. Although progressive, because of the way its designed, its drop dead reliable. Yes, you will pay more money for it, but use it as a single stage press to start, and when its time to upgrade, you wont have to buy another press, just start using it as a progressive. Thats what i did, and i have no regrets at all.

This!

I've had every color press and still have a single stage RCBS which I still use. I have pretty much come to realize that for my needs I've settled on the reliability of the Dillon 550B press. I have two 550's usually one for large primers and one with small primers. While the 550 doesn't spit out rounds as quickly as the 650 or orther presses, it does afford you the opportunity to move at a safer pace which, when you become reasonably proficient, isn't that far behind the 650. I believe it to be far more forgiving and a far safer machine to operate.

As to the dirt factor mentioned earlier. That's why I have my compressor close by with air ready to blow away the accumulated dust and gunk periodically. Dirt is not a factor if you stay alert.....which you should do anytime you're reloading.

Back
Top Bottom