• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading station

press

I load on lee turrets.It is a good press and inexpensive,both to buy and for caliber changes.I do have other makes not dillon.the price.I have loaded before there were many common presses.I only knew of one a pacific but I now know of the potters and star.reloading was done by few and mostly on
ideal or other tong tools.lyman brought out the truline jr after WW2 and herters had there press at that time.all the rest are new companies.
from what I read the more complicated the press,the more trouble.blown up guns seem to be common.

Be prepared to spend several hours scratching your head wondering why it is built like that and why it won't work. I have one that is set up for .45 and have made 1000's on it. They will work but need a little love first. Take your time and read the directions. Mine can be a little finicky and it is no rcbs or dillon. Good luck.

I have a Dillon 1050 with bullet feeder a 650 a 550 and a Lee Pro 1000. I would recommend the 550 or 650 over anything for most shooters. I had a ton of issues with me Lee Pro 1000 bot I know Supermoto has loaded over 100,000 rounds on his. He's a master shooter but if he switched to a Dillon he would prob be a grand master. HAHA

Lee Pro 1000's are good for about 10,000 to 15,000 rounds, then they are worn out. At less than $200 (including dies) that's not bad. You get what you pay for.

Just got a Dillon 550b, and am loving it.

My other presses are all single station RCBS presses.

I started out with a Lee single stage 'kit', then went to a Dillon Sq Deal, then a 550b, and now a Hornady L-N-L.

I've never used/owned a Pro 1000, but I know some people that have them and make good ammo on them. I understand that they're a bit finicky - especially the priming system.

i have a 650 with a casefeeder and love it. once you get over the learning
you can go along real good.

i had a lee 1000, too many issues to contend with, my hat is off to
supermoto, he must have more patience than me.

JimB

I have mentioned before: I got started when I lived in a tiny apartment in Sturbridge, MA. Used to clamp the reloading press to the kitchen table. Worked fine until I had the room to do it better.

Let us know how everything turns out. I am pondering getting into reloading, but have limited space (apartment dweller).

i have a 650 with a casefeeder and love it. once you get over the learning
you can go along real good.

i had a lee 1000, too many issues to contend with, my hat is off to
supermoto, he must have more patience than me.

JimB
That's because you're a cranky old guy. [grin]

Hope your Christmas was nice and that you have a Happy New Year.

Respectfully,
jkelly

I started on a RCBS Rock Chucker and then bought a P/W 800+ for shotgun, and I'm ordering a Super 1050 with X-mas money.

Last edited:
I have a Dillon 550 for pistol and shorter range rifle (.223 200 yard ammo), a RCBS Junior which was my first press a LONG time ago, and a RCBS Rockchucker which has my Dillon trimmer on it. I also have a very old Pacific press which was given to me and needs some work, maybe I'll mount the trimmer to it someday and free up the Rockchucker. I've used all three of them a lot!
HS

I started with at Lee Turret press. It worked well and was reasonably fast. I made great ammo. I still use it for some ammo. I upgraded to a Lee Load Master for higher volume production. Lee presses are inexpensive and do work great especially once you get familar with all the adjustments.

I've got a 550B, XL650, and a RCBS Rockchucker. All of them put together never gave me the problems my first press did.....a Lee Pro 1000. Chalk me up as another impatient, cranky old guy. Boy did I hate that POS.[smile]

Started on a Lee Loader,went to a single stage press,Dillon 450,550 and now 2 650s and a RCBS for things I can't do with the 650s. Almost everyone I know that had a Lee progressive had nothing but trouble getting it to work correctly. If your loading for a single pistol get the Dillon Square Deal and iif you wish to go to something fancier you can sell it with no problem. Come to think of it if your just starting out a nice single stage press might be a better choice,that way you can learn the process of reloading at a more leisurely pace by doing each step at a time.

Back
Top Bottom