Reloading small apartment, carpeting

So does anyone reload in a small apartment (less than 800 sq feet)? I am going to be downsizing over the next 6 months, and when my present lease runs out, will probably be going from apartment to apartment, many of which will probbaly have carpeting. Has anyone reloaded on carpet? Any tricks to keeping powder out of the carpet, (like a tarp, or pastich sheathing) or getting it out if it does get in?

Has anyone set up a reloading operation in a storage unit, and gone there every so often to make some rounds?

Thanks for any input

I didn't put anything down on the carpet for reloading in my apartment.... probably should I suppose, but I don't think my reloading operation spills that much powder

I do however have a drop cloth down in my spare room to catch sawdust/shavings/stains from woodworking.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12212145

I'll probably get another one, now that you mention it, to put under my reloading table once I start doing some more reloading.

You could certainly put a cloth down.

I'd recommend something like a canvas tarp. Then it won't be slippery and you can shake it out.

If it were me though, I wouldn't bother.

I started reloading with a single stage press clamped to a Black and Decker workmate when I was in college.
It was the classic "more time than money" case. When I was done, I could remove the press from the workmate and put it in my closet.
The workmate folded up and I kept it in the basement of the house we rented.

I would definitely not rent a space to do that kind of thing. The $200+/month would negate any savings from reloading.

If you reload at a bench or table where you sit, you may wish to take a look at a chair pad. They are at any office supply store or BJs. They are designed to help chair wheels roll on a carpeted surface. They will keep stuff you drop or spill out of the carpet.

If it were me though, I wouldn't bother.

I started reloading with a single stage press clamped to a Black and Decker workmate when I was in college.
It was the classic "more time than money" case. When I was done, I could remove the press from the workmate and put it in my closet.

Exactly this for me too. I eventually put a Dillon 550 on that workmate. THAT was tight.

I eventually stopped reloading, then refound it about 13 years ago.

People don't realize that back in the old days, ammo was more expensive than it is now. In the early 90s, a box of 9mm was $12. Then by the late 90s, aluminum cased blazer was down to about $6/box. At some point I decided (I was out of college with more money and less time) that it wasn't worth it.

What drew me back in was the ability to tweak my loads for a specific game (IDPA) or gun, more than ammo savings.

The problem with powder in the carpet is the vacuum cleaner. The electric motor throws sparks, and it wouldn't be hard to light it up. Some kind of throw rug, beach towel, etc. that could be shaken out in the bathtub would be cheap insurance. The Workmate is very stable, cheap and folds up out of the way.

Static electricity would concern me more that lost powder.
This would be my concern along with a tarp, don't know if static electricity could pop a primer, but wouldn't want it to happen. Powder wouldnt explode but if you had something set it off it would be a flash and probably would not end up good.

This would be my concern along with a tarp, don't know if static electricity could pop a primer, but wouldn't want it to happen. Powder wouldnt explode but if you had something set it off it would be a flash and probably would not end up good.

You are way way way overthinking this. go light a small pile of gunpowder on fire and see
1) how hard it is to start
2) how benignly it burns in the absence of a pressure vessel.

A canvas tarp is absolutely appropriate for this kind of thing.

The only trick I know of is be careful. I reloaded in a small apartment for a while and never gave any of your concerns a moments thought. I commend you for not wanting to torch the place down but at the same time I'm always amazed at how much over thinking goes on here. Christ, man, just set up your stuff and go. Spill a bit of powder on the floor or rug, haul out your vacuum and bust it. No biggie. I've survived 40+ years of reloading, that includes vacuuming powder off the carpet. Good luck, and oh, you didn't mention it, but don't tell the landlord what you're doing in there, makes them cranky.

Re vacuming,

Again, people are overthinking things or simply not using their heads to come up with an obvious answer.

I use a small shop vac. In the vac, I've got a few inches of water. The powder ends up in the water. I've done this for years. Never had a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

The only trick I know of is be careful. I reloaded in a small apartment for a while and never gave any of your concerns a moments thought. I commend you for not wanting to torch the place down but at the same time I'm always amazed at how much over thinking goes on here. Christ, man, just set up your stuff and go. Spill a bit of powder on the floor or rug, haul out your vacuum and bust it. No biggie. I've survived 40+ years of reloading, that includes vacuuming powder off the carpet. Good luck, and oh, you didn't mention it, but don't tell the landlord what you're doing in there, makes them cranky.

+1000

giphy.gif

Last edited:
ive been reloading in a small apt for over a year now, and ive spilled my share of powder. the vacuum doesnt worry about it and it doesnt pose a threat. without compression, it doesnt burn much, certainly not hot. to convince myself, i dipped a pen in hp38, and hit it with a lighter, and it burns, but doesnt explode or act any sort or worrysome. obviously i try not to spill powder, but sometimes it happens. thousands of rounds later, and more a few times vacuuming around my relaoding area, its a non issue. do it, and shoot aplenty. theres nothing to worry about. teh carpet wont stain, light on fire, frown, or decide to not be friends anymore. more importantly, dont spill food on it, renting a carpet cleaner for that is way more hassle.

Are people really freaking out at the thought of vacuuming up whatever tiny amount of powder might spill on the carpet? Unless the OP intends to dump pounds of powder out in his living room and make freaking sand castles with it, relax. Just reload and clean up like normal. Good grief.

I keep one of those little dust-buster hand vacuums near my reloading bench. It's great for picking up powder, brass shavings, and any other little particulate.

Back
Top Bottom